Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Apr 2008, 05:30 (Ref:2190771)   #1
ADZ351
Rookie

ADZ351 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is V8SC suffocating young talent & killing categories?

Is V8 Supercars love affair with street circuits going to kill established racing circuits by starving them of events & much needed income, and by default kill the grass roots categories that rely on those venues for places to race & foster young talent?

When was the last Australian proper race track built and who wants to guess when the next one will be built?
Old 30 Apr 2008, 05:47 (Ref:2190777)   #2
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ351
Is V8 Supercars love affair with street circuits going to kill established racing circuits by starving them of events & much needed income, and by default kill the grass roots categories that rely on those venues for places to race & foster young talent?

When was the last Australian proper race track built and who wants to guess when the next one will be built?
I believe it hurts the permanent circuits, and club/state level competitors, but I don't believe it will kill them off.

A well managed circuit is busy almost every day of most week's, and this track hire funds the day to day operations.

IIRC (happy to be corrected) not sure on the time-frame but either Wakefield or the Paper-clip was the last 'proper' track built in Aust.

As to the next one, well if you believe some, Garry Willmington is building one at the moment in NSW, to what standard I'm unsure.
Also have a look at the Haunted Hills thread.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2190912)   #3
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
QLD Raceway was the last track built. Wakefield Park came out of its pre-pubescent years at around the same time.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2190987)   #4
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Scream'n_Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as the Hamilton 400 street race was held for the first time this year, a new circuit is being built north of Hamilton. "Hampton Downs" will be New Zealand's first race track for 30 years, and has already signed the world superbikes to be held there in 2010.

I think V8 supercars have a positive and negative effect on grass roots motorsport, but more positive than negative. I mean, most kiwi kart racers know who greg murphy & co are and use them as role models.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2191035)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream'n_Demon
I mean, most kiwi kart racers know who greg murphy is and use them as role models.
God help up and coming NZ drivers if this is the case
Old 30 Apr 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2191159)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hate big categories (V8's and any other category in the world following this path) using street circuits for the lack of passing the damage they cause but most of all i hate it because it hurts the perminent tracks which hurts young talent and the average joe taking his saloon car formula Vee etc out to the track for the state and national meetings.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2191210)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If anything popular street races grow permanent circuits by raising the profile of the sport. Most race tracks are booked almost everyday, hardly a sign of impending doom.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2191409)   #8
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about the young talent thing, but they are causing issue for others categories by sucking all the money out of the sport.

As for street circuits, well I will let my sig below say everything
Old 30 Apr 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2191476)   #9
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
If anything popular street races grow permanent circuits by raising the profile of the sport. Most race tracks are booked almost everyday, hardly a sign of impending doom.
100% correct.

For the record, out of 14 ( 1 GP non points in a park ) weekends of Supercars,there are only 3 "real street circuits". Indy, Clipsal and Hamilton. Townsville is to be added and it WOULD be great to see Homebush, however we are only talking around 25% of the season. Like it or not these races are popular, well supported and are here to stay.

It is rubbish to suggest that they take away from the profitability of the permanent tracks and its is complete crap to suggest it hinders young talent.

Old mate from QR tells anyone that will listen, that he, "could not care less if he had a round of Supercar" as he is always booked out, and if his asking price for a potential sale is to be believed proves this point.

That said, if the track is so profitable, where is the return investment for the racers and spectators?? New grandstands? Pit Lane Garages? Grass on the hill instead of dirt?? Modern crash and fire equipment?? Media rooms?? NAH...

Must be bloody Cocho fault again eh???

New tracks would be great but are harder to achieve in Metro cities because of land costs. The cockroach premier, chucked 30 mil at drag racing, so a minority sport could have a new facility after being lobbied by racers. Maybe a lesson can be learnt from that???
Old 1 May 2008, 00:07 (Ref:2191478)   #10
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
100% correct.

For the record, out of 14 ( 1 GP non points in a park ) weekends of Supercars,there are only 4 "real street circuits". Indy, Clipsal and Hamilton.
AND Bathurst
Old 1 May 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2191485)   #11
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777
AND Bathurst
Not a permanent race track, more like a race track that a couple of farmers and locals use. But fair enough...
Old 1 May 2008, 03:05 (Ref:2191523)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IF one says V8SC is killing off everything else I say go back 15 years and compare to now. You've got a main category that is professional to the end of the grid. You've got 3 under categories(Carrera Cup, Fujitsu and Utes) that are semi-pro and didn't even exist back then. You've got FF and F3 still going along. You've got GT's and Production Cars, Commodore Cup and other assorted series like Mini Challenge. Plus all the usual state series, etc.

Race circuits are in a better state of repair and are mostly booked solid. An industry actually exists people can have a long career in rather than heading overseas to make a decent living. Regardless of V8SC, australian drivers are competing overseas in open wheel racing in the largest numbers seen since the 60's and 70's.

I'm hard pressed to see exactly what is being suffocated and killed off.
Old 1 May 2008, 03:37 (Ref:2191538)   #13
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
IF one says V8SC is killing off everything else I say go back 15 years and compare to now. You've got a main category that is professional to the end of the grid. You've got 3 under categories(Carrera Cup, Fujitsu and Utes) that are semi-pro and didn't even exist back then. You've got FF and F3 still going along. You've got GT's and Production Cars, Commodore Cup and other assorted series like Mini Challenge. Plus all the usual state series, etc.

Race circuits are in a better state of repair and are mostly booked solid. An industry actually exists people can have a long career in rather than heading overseas to make a decent living. Regardless of V8SC, australian drivers are competing overseas in open wheel racing in the largest numbers seen since the 60's and 70's.

Someone nominate this bloke for the Chairman of CAMS.
Old 1 May 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2191539)   #14
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gonna have to wait a couple of years, TC was just reelected a couple of days ago

Mick
Old 1 May 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2191607)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

you cant say that, everyone knows that TC is the devil and that street circuits at the devils tool. no good will ever come out them

oh and mick TC was elected chairman of V8SA not CAMS. the major difference is one of them has some power
Old 1 May 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2191616)   #16
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I misread that post as VESA, not CAMS. My bad.

Yes, but which one?

Mick
Old 1 May 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2191620)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
oh i think you not and it wont be mountainstar
Old 1 May 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2191865)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If anything popular street races grow permanent circuits by raising the profile of the sport.
A rather ambiguous statement that has no facts to back it up. Such a line is regularly trotted out by VESA and it band of merry 'Yes Men', but has by no means be proven.

Eg. Mallala, in a motorsport sense hasn't the circuit come on leaps and bounds since the Adelaide 500 came on board. V8SA leaving, Minolta series leaving.

A track being booked solidly for driver training, car manufacturers and photo shoots has sweet FA to do with the people who attend street races to get blotto and wait for Silverchair.

As ChampCar in the US experienced, street races attract good party crowds which are once a year event fans. They dont follow the whole series and translate in tv and merch sales figures.
Old 2 May 2008, 03:31 (Ref:2192277)   #19
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
They dont follow the whole series and translate in tv and merch sales figures.
I would disagree I think the merchandise sales do pretty well at places like Adelaide, heck there are always much bigger line ups at the Adelaide merchandise area than at Winton or Phillip Island - the 3 rounds I usually attend.

As for being good for permanent circuits, Mallala is just too far away for most people to be interested in. I love my racing and drive 800+ kms to see national and international series (V8s and MotoGP mainly) but I find it a stretch to drive 45mins to Mallala for a state series, when the grandstands need work, the "hot" food is cold and only 1 block of toilets over the other side of the track are open.

As far as the racing goes it lacks a little, the V8 drivers are prepared to push the opposition in front of them but often in the local racing this doesn't happen. If the locals crash they know they have to end up putting in the long hours to repair the car so often they are a little softer and the faster car in qualifying wins.
Old 2 May 2008, 03:51 (Ref:2192284)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek
As for being good for permanent circuits, Mallala is just too far away for most people to be interested in. I love my racing and drive 800+ kms to see national and international series (V8s and MotoGP mainly) but I find it a stretch to drive 45mins to Mallala for a state series, when the grandstands need work, the "hot" food is cold and only 1 block of toilets over the other side of the track are open.
So i guess what your saying is that Mallala has not seen any benefit from the Adelaide 500, which VESA signed exclusively to only run at this venue in South Australia.
Old 2 May 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2192401)   #21
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
So i guess what your saying is that Mallala has not seen any benefit from the Adelaide 500, which VESA signed exclusively to only run at this venue in South Australia.
Mallala probably does get some benefit, they used to sponsors events at the track - surely that is an advantage.

It wouldn't be possible to run v8s there today, even in the old days there were extreme traffic problems. Today it would be even worse, 1 road out of there for such a long time would be an absolute headache, it would be worse than PI Sunday night that is for sure.
Old 2 May 2008, 23:04 (Ref:2192928)   #22
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless of what you think about street races, Mallala could not hold the V8 supercars. It is 'in the middle of no where', with little to no public transport access. Although I like going there, I can not see the average person wanting to get out there. The track facilites are also very average. If there was to be a proper track in SA, I think someone should do it where Adelaide International Raceway is currently. That track is in a better location but it is in a very, very average state and the circuit part needs to be completely redone to hold track events.

The race in Adelaide will always be a street race. The circuit is famous and well regarded, due to it's connection with Formula 1.
Old 3 May 2008, 01:32 (Ref:2192968)   #23
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a good way to kill off the Fujitsu series....turn it into an extension of the main game.

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/content..._race_fujitsu/

What a great idea. Not. If you let the big boys play in the Fuitsu series, where do the likes of Owen, Canto, Reynolds,Slade,Perkins etc get to play? Wasn't the point of this series to allow drivers who weren't in the main game to get some experience and exposure?

If the big boys want to play on their spare weekends, there ar e plenty of other categories. GT is looking for a few new players!
Old 3 May 2008, 02:09 (Ref:2192976)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by browney
Regardless of what you think about street races, Mallala could not hold the V8 supercars.
But it did and has.

Quote:
The track facilites are also very average.
Do think if the v8 series was not contractually restrained from running there for the last decade that this might be different.
Old 3 May 2008, 02:22 (Ref:2192978)   #25
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Regardless of what you think about street races, Mallala could not hold the V8 supercars. It is 'in the middle of no where', with little to no public transport access. Although I like going there, I can not see the average person wanting to get out there. The track facilites are also very average. If there was to be a proper track in SA, I think someone should do it where Adelaide International Raceway is currently. That track is in a better location but it is in a very, very average state and the circuit part needs to be completely redone to hold track events.

The race in Adelaide will always be a street race. The circuit is famous and well regarded, due to it's connection with Formula 1.
Browney, a couple of answers to your points.

V8's will never got to Mallala again, you are spot on.... The closest 5 star hotel is more than 30 mins drive, far too far for T.C and the VE$A & Corporate cronies.

As for AIR, one of the 'Adelaide correspondents' on here could confirm this, but I believe that Boral Asphalt are currently on site re-surfacing the entire track.....