Logan Sargeant 0 0%
Zhou Guanyu 1 3.70%
Valtteri Bottas 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Jun 2024, 10:13 (Ref:4216480)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driver of the Grand Prix: Spanish Grand Prix 2024

Who gets your vote?
Old 23 Jun 2024, 14:40 (Ref:4216517)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Few drivers stood out. Ham for the podium, Norris I thought was really good in how he didn’t let his bad start break his focus, but Max in the end just took what he wanted.
Old 23 Jun 2024, 14:54 (Ref:4216522)   #3
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lewis, an excellent drive to get his first podium since Mexico last year.
Old 23 Jun 2024, 15:29 (Ref:4216540)   #4
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I think Verstappen and Norris had as close to equal cars as you are going to get today, and with no interruptions with safety cars or anything, Verstappen won it so I will vote for him. Norris was also very impressive, perhaps the best at tyre management at the moment after Imola and Canada. Also honourable mentions would be Russell for the racecraft at turn one and later against Norris, Hamilton for beating him, and Gasly and Hulkenberg for great pace and comfortably beating their teammates.
Old 23 Jun 2024, 17:52 (Ref:4216583)   #5
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Verstappen. Won the third race in a row without the fastest car. Not sure that’s been done before.
Old 23 Jun 2024, 18:09 (Ref:4216588)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Lando for mr
Old 23 Jun 2024, 18:51 (Ref:4216602)   #7
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Verstappen. Won the third race in a row without the fastest car. Not sure that’s been done before.
He's only on two in a row, Monaco was between Imola and Canada. But I would agree that the Red Bull wasn't quite the fastest car in Canada or Spain and Verstappen just drove slightly better than the opposition. Pierre Gasly has matched Sergio Perez for pace across a race distance in the last two races, and at their best I would rate these two drivers very similarly. The Red Bull cannot be on par with the Alpine, Perez is definitely among the worst performing drivers at the moment and not at his 2015-2016 peak, but it also must have something to do with Max Verstappen.

I think Hamilton won four out of five without the fastest car in 2018 (Hockenheim, Hungaroring, Monza, Singapore), and also took pole in Spa but Vettel won that race, so it isn't three in a row.

Maybe Schumacher's three wins in Montreal, Magny-Cours and Silverstone in 1998 could count? I personally think Hakkinen and Coulthard were often flattered by the McLarens.

Jim Clark didn't have the best car in Clermont-Ferrand or Silverstone 1965 (once you factor in the fuel problems), and probably Zandvoort as well so that would make three in a row.

Of course, these are all subjective judgements and not possible to know for sure. Norris beat Ricciardo more comfortably than Verstappen did it's possible that it is the McLaren that is having results dragged out of it by two extraordinary drivers.
Old 23 Jun 2024, 21:43 (Ref:4216683)   #8
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pretty sure, without taking anything away from great work by Max, that Lewis did those runs of winning with a car that's not the fastest.
Old 23 Jun 2024, 21:45 (Ref:4216685)   #9
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I vote Lando for keeping his tires alive, for keeping his focus after loosing out at the start and for thinking strategically over the radio while all that going on. His level of maturity is impressive. Just like Max, he has grown a lot.
Old 23 Jun 2024, 22:02 (Ref:4216690)   #10
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
He's only on two in a row, Monaco was between Imola and Canada. But I would agree that the Red Bull wasn't quite the fastest car in Canada or Spain and Verstappen just drove slightly better than the opposition. Pierre Gasly has matched Sergio Perez for pace across a race distance in the last two races, and at their best I would rate these two drivers very similarly. The Red Bull cannot be on par with the Alpine, Perez is definitely among the worst performing drivers at the moment and not at his 2015-2016 peak, but it also must have something to do with Max Verstappen.

I think Hamilton won four out of five without the fastest car in 2018 (Hockenheim, Hungaroring, Monza, Singapore), and also took pole in Spa but Vettel won that race, so it isn't three in a row.

Maybe Schumacher's three wins in Montreal, Magny-Cours and Silverstone in 1998 could count? I personally think Hakkinen and Coulthard were often flattered by the McLarens.

Jim Clark didn't have the best car in Clermont-Ferrand or Silverstone 1965 (once you factor in the fuel problems), and probably Zandvoort as well so that would make three in a row.

Of course, these are all subjective judgements and not possible to know for sure. Norris beat Ricciardo more comfortably than Verstappen did it's possible that it is the McLaren that is having results dragged out of it by two extraordinary drivers.
My bad about Monaco, too little sleep!
Old 23 Jun 2024, 22:05 (Ref:4216691)   #11
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Lando was deservingly awarded the Driver of the Day award. Max and Lewis could also get it.
Old 24 Jun 2024, 03:51 (Ref:4216714)   #12
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gasly just ahead of Max and Lewis.
Old 24 Jun 2024, 06:20 (Ref:4216715)   #13
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Of the 60+ times it has happened in the past, an argument could probably be made for at least a quarter of those as not being in the fastest car.

The most recent would be 2021 - where either Hamilton or Verstappen must have been in the slower of the two cars.
Old 24 Jun 2024, 06:33 (Ref:4216716)   #14
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Finishing second in clearly the fastest car of the day gets you driver of the day....
To finish first in not the fastest car around should get it!
Old 24 Jun 2024, 07:27 (Ref:4216719)   #15
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Of the 60+ times it has happened in the past, an argument could probably be made for at least a quarter of those as not being in the fastest car.

The most recent would be 2021 - where either Hamilton or Verstappen must have been in the slower of the two cars.
Total nonsense. Though it was pointed out I forgot Monaco anyway.

Maybe you could point out some of these “60+ times” when a driver has won three consecutive races in a car that was not the fastest in any of those races. I guess we’ll have to wait for that one.
Old 24 Jun 2024, 07:29 (Ref:4216720)   #16
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Finishing second in clearly the fastest car of the day gets you driver of the day....
To finish first in not the fastest car around should get it!
I’m British but it’s embarrassing.

Fastest car, pole position, totally ducks up T1, contrives to not win, but still somehow driver of the day.
Old 24 Jun 2024, 07:50 (Ref:4216721)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bit of a scrappy race for a few drivers today to be fair
Old 24 Jun 2024, 08:50 (Ref:4216731)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I think Verstappen and Norris had as close to equal cars as you are going to get today....
Oh I'm sure we'll be told in due course that Max won in the 4th best car......

I'm going for Lewis, great to see him feisty and back towards the sharp end. Only just over Lando who drove well and hard in the last part of the race. Max did what Max does.
Old 24 Jun 2024, 08:50 (Ref:4216733)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I hadn't read down far enough.

I was right.

Old 24 Jun 2024, 11:05 (Ref:4216746)   #20
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Lando arguably had the fastest car and didn't win. Or he could have won if he nailed the start.
Verstappen for me. Hats off to the Alpine guys too for a solid showing.
Old 24 Jun 2024, 14:50 (Ref:4216766)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
off topic sorry...but how are we measuring 'fastest car'? surely at tracks like this with less kerb still suit RB's advantage no?
Old 24 Jun 2024, 15:56 (Ref:4216775)   #22
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Qualy was almost a dead heat. On race pace Norris had a small advantage over Verstappen, albeit only a small one in this last race. Unless Verstappen was just stroking it home like Prost, but I am not sure that he was.
Old 24 Jun 2024, 16:19 (Ref:4216779)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
that race pace advantage seemed to me more about having slightly fresher tires at the end tho. or rather had Mclaren just immediately covered the RB stops, would Norris' lap times at the end still been as flattering?

Max did seem to have a small off in the last stint...also would be curious to have heard how Max responded over the comms to his pit wall warning him about Norris pushing/using up all his tires.

so yeah, hard to know whether Max was being Prost like or not there?
Old 24 Jun 2024, 16:56 (Ref:4216786)   #24
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
I really wanted to vote for Lando but he started from pole and failed to convert it to a win. Conversely Max started from 2 and won the race, so I have to give it to him. Lando's never-say-die pursuit was impressive but I can't help feeling the narrowing gap over the last few laps was at least partly because Max knew he could afford to ease off a touch.
Old 25 Jun 2024, 01:57 (Ref:4216823)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I’m British but it’s embarrassing.

Fastest car, pole position, totally ducks up T1, contrives to not win, but still somehow driver of the day.
He's British, and this is a British based site.

I'm not British but I forgive them anyway.....
Most people don't vote their preferences on a purely objective basis.
It's always very subjective, and frankly it doesn't matter.
This is all about opinion and preferences.