Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Mar 2002, 15:03 (Ref:227799)   #1
Fuel
Rookie

Fuel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why wasn't the race stopped

The accident in Australia has sparked of new questions of why the race wasn't stopped. Is it because the officials could handle the cleanup while the safety car was on track, or was it that M.Schumacher was'nt involved? I think it was the latter, and the officials wanted M.Schumacher in the race.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 15:23 (Ref:227809)   #2
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you took the words right out of my mouth. the ONLY reason the race wasnt stopped is because schumachers FIArari was not involved or damaged in the accident!!
Old 4 Mar 2002, 17:53 (Ref:227893)   #3
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only problem with that is that there was a macaroon and a willi in front when they would've called it red.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 18:28 (Ref:227920)   #4
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Before the start, the racers were told that the race would only be stopped in a dangerous situation.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 18:47 (Ref:227940)   #5
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Gary Anderson of Jag mentioned the amount of cars left and the show for the viewers that resulted. Knowing the attrition that always occurs at the first race with reliability and overeagerness, there was a danger of having only a few cars around at the finish...not a good show for Bernie or team sponsors. Besides, you could see the drivers piloting their cars through debris for several laps afterwards, there could have been many more accidents from cut tires and the like.
But if what Don K says, is the way it was, then thats the way it is!

I personally would have liked the race to be stopped, but I enjoyed it anyway. Hopefully, hotter weather at Sepang will favor the Michelins again, and we'll have a closer race. Im hoping for the F2002 debut as well.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 18:49 (Ref:227943)   #6
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was the reason I gave in another thread but the facts reamain that they could clear the track, so here ends the latest conspiracy theory!
Old 4 Mar 2002, 19:02 (Ref:227961)   #7
racing_guru
Rookie

racing_guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's to say if the race had been re-started that there would not have been another accident? As for depriving the fans of a show, I think the Australians thoroughly enjoyed watching Mark Webber score some points, something that would not of happened if they had re-started. As for the people watching on TV, well how would you know if there was 18 or 8 cars in the race, it's not as though you see any TV coverage of the mid-field anyway. All in all I think it was the right decision, so long as they are consistent with it through the remaining 16 races.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 19:28 (Ref:227996)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At first I was screaming for a red flag and I thought that the race would turn out to be a bore with so few cars left.

But in the end I thoroughly enjoyed it. it was unpredictable and its always nice to see the lower teams scoring points.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 19:50 (Ref:228029)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race didn't need a red flag. The safety car was the right choice. Red Flags should only be shown if the track is blocked (which it wasn't) or there is an injured person that needs attending to (which there wasn't)
Old 4 Mar 2002, 19:54 (Ref:228031)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
there is an injured person that needs attending to (which there wasn't)
Then why didn't they red flag it last year?
Old 4 Mar 2002, 20:06 (Ref:228048)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
good sig alan!!!
Old 4 Mar 2002, 20:24 (Ref:228068)   #12
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand you people see red when Schumy is mentioned but let us look at the facts.There was little debris and all the cars were lifted to the side.There was no reason to stop the race.It would have been the same result even if Schumy was involved and out of the race.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 21:52 (Ref:228125)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First corner foolishness should not be rewarded with a re-start. If drivers know they can just go back and get in the spare car, who knows what might happen?
Old 4 Mar 2002, 21:57 (Ref:228128)   #14
Alan Jones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by mac
First corner foolishness should not be rewarded with a re-start. If drivers know they can just go back and get in the spare car, who knows what might happen?

I'll second that.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 23:16 (Ref:228188)   #15
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see your logic but I'm not so sure that Ralf S, Fisichella, Heidfeld, Panis, Button, Massa, McNish or Bernoldi and their fans would agree with you.

One driver took out seven others. I agree that his foolishness shouldn't be awarded with a re-start. So perhaps before the re-start is made responsibility should be ascertained by the stewards so that the driver to blame gets to sit out the race all by himself.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 23:25 (Ref:228194)   #16
The Accomplice
Rookie

The Accomplice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie didn't want it to.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 04:33 (Ref:228276)   #17
Alan Jones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy2

One driver took out seven others. I agree that his foolishness shouldn't be awarded with a re-start. So perhaps before the re-start is made responsibility should be ascertained by the stewards so that the driver to blame gets to sit out the race all by himself.
Sounds good roy until you start to think of the appeals and counter appeals going to and fro between the teams and the stewards/FIA. I think before we went this far the simplest solutuion would be for a rolling start. Now I'll just duck behind the couch for a sec why you all start throwing stuff at me

Finished?

Good

Seriously though, I don't want to hijack this thread but I feel this is relevant. As it is, they accelerate so fast then have to brake extremely late and if the front stuffs up, often the guys in the middle have no where to go and the accident quickly goes from bad to worse. For this reason I haven't been bagging Heidfield. Maybe we have come to a stage in the evolution of the F1 car where it would be safer for all concerned if we did have rolling starts. Personally I find them very boring compared to a standing one but I like it less when we lose so many competitors due to a Red Baron like Ralf We only need to have one pilot die before i'm sure there will be calls for this to be implemented.Maybe we should just bite the bullet and do it BEFORE we have to bury someone.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 06:06 (Ref:228302)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This has been bouncing around the forums and several threads here. Before we go any further, for those who say the race should have been red flagged, perhaps they could give us the criteria under which they consider the red flag should be used in place of the safety car.
I personally believe that the red flag should only be used under certain safety criteria, and not by the carnage on any corner, although I suppose if we have about 18 cars damaged, then the race becomes a bit ridiculous, but that cannot be helped.
I also believe that once the race is started, the spare car should be out of bounds no matter what the circumstances are.
I saw Todt wave Rubens off without offering any consolation whatsoever, and I think that no matter what Rubens says on who is to blame, he is going to get a big kick up his bum from Todt.
It is ironical that MSch calls for calm going through the first corner, and his team mate and his brother cause a humongous prang.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 23:38 (Ref:228906)   #19
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan

I don't know myself but is there any appeal allowed to a black flag? If so I wonder if the same argument would apply to black flag situations, yet the race officials do show them from time to time.

Just asking for sake of discussion.

Last edited by Roy2; 5 Mar 2002 at 23:40.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 00:45 (Ref:228931)   #20
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't you see the carbon fibre flick up from Montoya's wheels on about the 10th racing lap?

Considering the "alledged" part carbon fibre has played in accidents before (you all know what accident I'm refering to) then surely if they cannot clear the track to the point that there is no carbon fibre shards left then it should be red flagged, or at least a schmidt brough out to clear up properly.

Personally, I think F1 is lapsing into the false sense of security it did once before about 8 years ago.

Let's put it another way, that carbon fibre flicked up slightly later and hit Schumacher, it would have killed him probably if it hit in the right place (Remember Rakoneen was left sitting on something other than his arse!), so then would you still be saying the race should not be stopped?

Carbon Fibre is very sharp once broken, my hand will testify to that

Last edited by Ian-S; 6 Mar 2002 at 00:48.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 04:58 (Ref:229003)   #21
Alan Jones
Veteran

Not sure Roy, I have always found this a little confusing myself unless the diqualification happened after the race was won.Otherwise, what is the point in appealing but appeal they surely would.I also think unless you had say, a 1.5 kilometre straight followed by an "extra wide" bit of track going into, thru, and out the other side of the 1st corner we will continue to see problems like last week.Even then the front 4 would still be racing for position and the best line thru the corner. Either that or my previous suggestion which I'm not going to repeat, I'm sure we are only aloud to say this once
Old 6 Mar 2002, 21:48 (Ref:229579)   #22
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian-S
Personally, I think F1 is lapsing into the false sense of security it did once before about 8 years ago.
I have to say I've been surprised by a couple of decisions in the last couple of years. Especially Monza 2000 and Australia 2001. I think ( and sincerely hope) that these races will prevent the FIA from thinking what you said.

However I think that Burtis accident showed that f1 is dangerous and the only way of removing the danger would be to impose a 20 mph restriction around the circuit (wouldn't that be fun...).

And God forbid what happenned 8 years ago.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 02:35 (Ref:229706)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian-S

Considering the "alledged" part carbon fibre has played in accidents before (you all know what accident I'm refering to) then surely if they cannot clear the track to the point that there is no carbon fibre shards left then it should be red flagged, or at least a schmidt brough out to clear up properly.

Carbon Fibre is very sharp once broken, my hand will testify to that
There are numrous incidents, many minor, during a race that might cause carbon fibre to be deposited on the track. It would be totally unrealistic to red flag a race just because there might be some carbon fibre shards on the track. The answer might be to ban teh use of carbon fibre on all wings, nose cones, barge boards, and so on except for the tub. That might increase the weight of cars, but it's the same for everyone, and it would certainly reduce the cost of these components.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 03:43 (Ref:229724)   #24
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unforyunately one of the criteria used in determining if a race is stopped is who is involved, and where the race is...

example:: hokenhiem 2001.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 06:40 (Ref:229760)   #25
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Last edited by Don K; 7 Mar 2002 at 06:42.