Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2003, 14:53 (Ref:565169)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2004: The return of F1 digital +

Well, lots of reports going round that F1 digital will be back next season...

In Brazil, Ralf Schumacher apparently overtook one of the Minardi's (Verstappen?) before they crossed the line after one of the safety car periods. JV also accused drivers of "crazy driving" and overtaking under yellow flags, yet Alonso was the only one to be penalised (to my knowledge).

I'm sure that this, along with the confusion at the finish, wouldnt have happened if F1 Digital was still broadcasting. They didnt miss a think last season - remember all those pit blend line violations? Maybe those guys would have got away with it if it wasnt for F1 Digital?

Bring it back, Bernie!!!

Quote:
F1 Racing - May 2003
Digital Formula 1 TV coverage is likely to make a return in 2004 if a feasibility study by Eddie Baker, Bernie Ecclestone's head of TV, finds it cost-effective. The new facility could fit onto a single jumbo jet, slashing travel costs. Keep your fingers crossed for a return to full on-board action.

Last edited by LucaBadoer; 10 Apr 2003 at 14:55.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 14:55 (Ref:565172)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes!

YES!!!

Me like! Me like!
Old 10 Apr 2003, 15:03 (Ref:565180)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds promising. Lets just hope that more people will be willing to put their hands in their pockets this time.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 15:13 (Ref:565189)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In 2002 it just wasn't a very exciting 'product'. This eyar tehre's much more action, and more people are into it. Plus they should be able to charge less than before for it - maybe only £150 or less for the whole season.

The negative consequence, however, would eb the effec ton the terrestrial feed, which last eyar lacked many of the fancy on-car shots, which are back this eyar. If these are lost again, that makes the terrestrial program much less exciting, and will cause some marginal viewers to lose interest.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 15:23 (Ref:565193)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: 2004: The return of F1 digital +

Quote:
Originally posted by LucaBadoer

I'm sure that this, along with the confusion at the finish, wouldnt have happened if F1 Digital was still broadcasting.
I'm sure that the stewards of each race sit there and listen to James Allen!! Other countries such as France and Germany still get digital feed and i'm sure that the stewards watch that.

However, i was a F1 digi viewer last year, and any arguement to bring it back is fine by me!!
Old 10 Apr 2003, 15:24 (Ref:565195)   #6
xbook
Rookie

xbook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Formula One Management is so concerned with TV ratings in the US. Why hasn't the Digital+ coverage ever been offered in the US? I would gladly spend my $400+ to have that coverage.

All we have ever gotten is the terrestrial feed, and tons of announcers. I am always hearing you Brits complain about Allen or Brundle. We have 3 constantly talking numb-skulls that try and talk us through each race. It sucks!!

Give us ALL Digital+ coverage, please.

xBook

Last edited by xbook; 10 Apr 2003 at 15:25.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 19:40 (Ref:565458)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Reading up on things, it doesn't appear that Bernie will be charging for it this time...

He wants the F1 Digital service to be the "Host Broadcaster" for all races, - taken from Autosport.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 20:09 (Ref:565481)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, so you can't choose to view the onboard camera's for the whole race anymore then?

Bugger...
Old 11 Apr 2003, 09:16 (Ref:565999)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
When the Bakersville feed was originally taken off the air, there was a suggeston that it could return as the normal feed.
For those without interactive/digital facilities, the feed would be as at Indy last year.
For those who could, the full interactive choices would be available as per F1 Digital +.
The problem this causes of it being the only feed it that it would cost more, and thus Bernie would want more money from broadcaster. This, together with the success of BBCi, led to debate as to whether the BBC might get F1 back.

Pure speculation though on all parts there.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 15:15 (Ref:566405)   #10
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Reading up on things, it doesn't appear that Bernie will be charging for it this time...

He wants the F1 Digital service to be the "Host Broadcaster" for all races, - taken from Autosport.
He wanted that for this year too, but ITV and the rest of them wouldn't pay the increased costs

Oh well, the first major bit of action we miss due to an inept Host tv director spending the entire race on their local driver will learn them that lesson!

(In that case, perhaps it was fortunate that Rubens broke down in Brazil.....do you really think we'd have seen anything else for the rest of the race!)
Old 13 Apr 2003, 14:50 (Ref:568192)   #11
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where has Ben and john gone?
Old 13 Apr 2003, 15:13 (Ref:568201)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben is doing BTCC Touring Car commentry for Motors Tv....not sure what Wattie is doing ?
Old 14 Apr 2003, 18:44 (Ref:569320)   #13
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben's also doing the BTCC for ITV.

John Watson's not doing anything 'cos he's too expensive.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 18:49 (Ref:569327)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Motors and ITV are having the same coverage from Granada ...its just Motors are doing it live.

Last edited by Sato san; 14 Apr 2003 at 18:50.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:05 (Ref:574984)   #15
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by sceptic
John Watson's not doing anything 'cos he's too expensive.
Watty is still actually working for F1 Magazine - officially as "Road Car Editor".
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:31 (Ref:575056)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Digital+ must NOT be allowed to return under ANY circumstnaces. Second only to Ferrari's formation flying in epitomising everything that was wrong with F1 in 2002.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:35 (Ref:575059)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Never saw it then Tristan?
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:36 (Ref:575062)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

Nope. Along with 99.99999999999999% of the worldwide audience, leaving us with a crappy product. Money-grabbing theives that ALMOST killed F1.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:42 (Ref:575069)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
If more of that large percentage had put their hands in their pockets and stumped up for what is actually very good value for money then perhaps we'd once again have the choice, rather than being stuck with just as bad coverage and patronising commentary.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:47 (Ref:575078)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Come on. We are the geeks. Most people AREN'T geeks. They watch F1 with a CERTAIN degree of interest, but not enough to stump out their hard-earned to get a few extra camra angles and the ultimately meaningless practice sessions (which are on when they're at work anyway).

PLUS WHICH how many countries have the adequate digital coverage to offer the service?? 10 max I'd reckon.

**** idea, meant we had to put up with lousy coverage last year.

Give EVERYBODY the groovy coverage FOR FREE. More people get interested in F1 instead of turning off in droves, more sponsors invest in the sport, more merchandising gets sold, everybody's happy. It doesn't take a marketing degree.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:48 (Ref:575079)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

I can say "crappy" but not it's shortened version, ****. Odd.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:50 (Ref:575082)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I had no complaint with the offer of a "better" service for those who wanted to pay for it, what I did object to was that others (me) who didn't want to pay had to suffer with a substandard product that was on-purposely made inferior to encourage take-up of the digital service.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:56 (Ref:575089)   #23
Tristan
Veteran

Precisely. What an almighty load of BS. If they even so much as DARE reintroduce this F1 aparteid... I'll kick up even more of a fuss than I do (often) about fly-away races.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 21:08 (Ref:575137)   #24
bush_writer
Rookie

bush_writer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
problem was that you were paying for few extra camera shots, you choose the camera shot you would like to see and few other bells and whistles. At the end of the day way would people pay for something they get on itv.

Only way that a digital service would work is with someone like the bbc paying extra to get the f1 coverage with the added bells on bbi.

At one time when itv were in the running for old itv digital license there were talks that it could be on the itv network if they got it but they as we all knowthe bbc got the license.

As for stuwards they watch the same feed as you and me unless they are checking on something then they ask for the local tv company to send up a reply of said incident.

Bush
Old 20 Apr 2003, 21:16 (Ref:575143)   #25
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Precisely. What an almighty load of BS. If they even so much as DARE reintroduce this F1 aparteid... I'll kick up even more of a fuss than I do (often) about fly-away races.
Does this make things any better - if there is no Aparteid?!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp
When the Bakersville feed was originally taken off the air, there was a suggeston that it could return as the normal feed.
For those without interactive/digital facilities, the feed would be as at Indy last year.
For those who could, the full interactive choices would be available as per F1 Digital +.

Last edited by Asp; 20 Apr 2003 at 21:17.