Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:15 (Ref:697287)   #1
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As the Championship Turns...

Three weeks ago, halfway through the German race, I declared that the championship was over, and Michael Schumacher was going to run away with the crown. Oh, how I have been mistaken. Three races to go, and a mere three points separate the top three championship contenders. Schumacher, 72. Montoya, 71. Raikkonen, 70. History would say that Schumacher has the edge, but Ferrari has no wind in its sails whatsoever. Williams has been on an absolute tear since Monaco, but who is to say that their momentum is about to shift, especially as the team was looking just as pedestrian as Ferrari today. And Raikkonen, in a year-old car, has done nothing but consistantly finish near the front. Even the Constructors' Championship is wide open. So, who's going to win it? I'm not going to even try to guess, I'm just going to enjoy this while it lasts.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:19 (Ref:697294)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good summary there Fish_Flake.

I really can't predict a winner, neither will I. I think it'll go to the wire - before today Michael certainly had the advantage, but that's now gone.
It just gets better and better.

Last edited by garcon; 24 Aug 2003 at 14:20.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:22 (Ref:697298)   #3
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is damn nice isn't it?

I still think michael will do it but with just a small amount of luck someone else could!!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:23 (Ref:697301)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher is definatly out of the running. Williams/Michelin have turned the page and are as of now the better package than Ferrari/Bridgestone. With the titlebattle so close, Schumachers advantage is just way to small. I think it will be JPM.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:23 (Ref:697303)   #5
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do worry the kimi don't have the car to do it though
and montoya seems to not want it....
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:28 (Ref:697307)   #6
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget Kimi. He drove more like a WDC today than the two guys ahead of him.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:39 (Ref:697325)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Eddie... No way Michael is out of the running - he is still leading! This last testing period will be very important. Lets all hope that Bridgestone make some progress so that we can have the three of them battle it out for real - instead of the season being decided by the tyre war...
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:40 (Ref:697328)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Until this weekend I would have said that Ferrari would win by a hair and MS would be champ. However, after watching him get lapped I have to rethink things a little, ok a lot. Some people are discounting Renault for Monza but I feel if they can qualify well they can be a force too. I expect RS or JPM to win the next race. In Indy, I feel it could be a toss up between Williams and Mac. I think Suzuka will also be a strong race for Renault. Ferrari are lost souls at this point. They may be fighting to hold on to 2nd. MS too will be lucky to come in 3rd.

I am happy that this is happening to Ferrari/Bridgestone combination. They ruined the racing last year and now it has come full circle. The only problem is that other have been pulled down with them.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:42 (Ref:697331)   #9
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya - instead of the season being decided by the tyre war...
Its too late. The tire war has already decided the season. I have been saying that since Australia.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:50 (Ref:697347)   #10
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was interesting to hear Brundle's theory on the tyre war. He believes that Michelin have gained a huge advantage through having three top teams giving them feedback, while Bridgestone rely solely on working with Ferrari.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:51 (Ref:697351)   #11
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's a point that I just remembered, and that no one has yet brought up. At Brazil, Kimi Raikkonen was originally declared the winner, and was set to receive ten points. Afterwards, the racing authorities decided that Giancarlo Fisichella had indeed made his pass on Raikkonen two laps before the race was stopped, and he was declared the winner, sending Raikkonen to second and eight points. If the results were not changed, Kimi would have 72 points, and instead of being third in the championship, he would be tied for the lead. Just think if Kimi finishes the season two points adrift of the champion. That scoring change, albeit correct, could end up costing Kimi the crown.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:53 (Ref:697356)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
It was interesting to hear Brundle's theory on the tyre war. He believes that Michelin have gained a huge advantage through having three top teams giving them feedback, while Bridgestone rely solely on working with Ferrari.
They've dug their own grave in other words.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:56 (Ref:697364)   #13
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the current situation I'd say Montoya is narrow favourite, I'd say it's more likely to be between him and Kimi unless things change with the Ferrari, which is proving the least competitive package they've had since 1997
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:05 (Ref:697378)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's sooo... close not at the top ,Kimi i think has been brilliant ,driving last years car and now he's back in with a chance of winning the WDC.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:10 (Ref:697386)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
They've dug their own grave in other words.
But while they were digging, they were busy winning 3 WDC's
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:10 (Ref:697387)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's not theory, it's what has happened - there's no competing with the kind of feedback you're getting from McLaren and Williams tests AND Renault and Jaguar on the Friday mornings...one team against 4 - the other Bridgestone teams have enough trouble trying to stay afloat than concentrating on tyre tests.

Isn't the championship shaping up to be a complete and utter stonker? I'm looking forward to Japan so much already...2 points!!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:10 (Ref:697389)   #17
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Eddie... No way Michael is out of the running - he is still leading! This last testing period will be very important. Lets all hope that Bridgestone make some progress so that we can have the three of them battle it out for real - instead of the season being decided by the tyre war...
No, the difference between Michelin en Bridgestone is far too big. The difference between Williams and Ferrari as well. I don't think Ferrari has the time to turn that difference in their benefit, its just too big.

If Ferrari (or more specific: M. Schumacher) keeps qualifying behind Williams, and he'll probably do, then I don't see any reason to suggest he'll beat them (or Monty anyway) during the race.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:17 (Ref:697398)   #18
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would really like to see Kimi win the WDC but I fear that the car just doesn't have it. JPM and Williams due seem strong but Michael and Ferrari are just to good of a team to count out. In the end I would put my money on JPM and Williams to take both titles and with some luck Mclaren to finish second in the constructors championship.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:53 (Ref:697453)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
I do worry the kimi don't have the car to do it though
and montoya seems to not want it....
Thats funny

Imo, the McLaren won't be fast enough in Monza and Suzuka, might go ok at Indy.

As for Monty not wanting it? 56 points in 7 races and 7 podiums? You must be joking!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:56 (Ref:697455)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Until this weekend I would have said that Ferrari would win by a hair and MS would be champ. However, after watching him get lapped I have to rethink things a little, ok a lot......

Ferrari are lost souls at this point. They may be fighting to hold on to 2nd. MS too will be lucky to come in 3rd.
Have to agree with this. Bridgestone have really dropped the ball. Ferrari and MS are in real trouble.

As mentioned during the converage, when Michellin have a good day, a red car struggles to make the top 4. When its the other way (unlikely before seasons end) the Williams are snapping at their heels.

Sorry people, but only Montoya and Williams can stop Montoya and Williams winning now.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:58 (Ref:697460)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That will certainly teach Bridgestone, and Ferrari to put all their eggs in one basket so to speak!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:04 (Ref:697466)   #22
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Its too late. The tire war has already decided the season. I have been saying that since Australia.
I think the tyre war has decided the championship ever since Michelin and Bridgestone went head to head.

The F2003-GA is a better car than the F2002, but it is struggling against the Michelin shod cars since they've sorted themselves out this year.

If Michelin had have made this step last year, would the F2002 have run away with the champoinship like it did? I'm not so sure.. I think the last couple of years has had a lot to do with Bridgestone superiority.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:15 (Ref:697479)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
That will certainly teach Bridgestone, and Ferrari to put all their eggs in one basket so to speak!
Just out of curiosity, should they have given some of those eggs to BAR and Villeneuve to look after?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:38 (Ref:697500)   #24
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Just out of curiosity, should they have given some of those eggs to BAR and Villeneuve to look after?
To answer your question, yes! It has worked for Michelin. They have made teams like Toyota and Jag have a fighting chance this year. Remember why Mclaren left BS? Had BS not chosen the path they did they would have at least had feedback from two top teams. Ferrari and BS have been greedy and only thought of the short term. Now they have no one to turn to for ideas. The looked clueless. It was shameful. Even though it was hurting the BAR Honda too I was still happy to see them struggle.

Last edited by neilap; 24 Aug 2003 at 16:40.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:47 (Ref:697504)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
No offence Neilap, but looking to BARF for ideas is as silly as asking Minardi for money.

As mentioned earlier, they have won the last 3 championships with this strategy, I hardly think BAR would be up there supporting them right now had they gone in another direction.

They need a kick in the ass, and should another 'worthy' team come along, they should get behind them too. The smart money says they should try and get Toyota and Jaguar behind them.