Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1024618)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Max's legacy?

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=38257&s=5

Summary:
Tyres
Reduce the number in the used weekend.
Engines
They should last longer. Then 2.4l V8s in 2006. With more restrictions?
Standard ECUs
Aero
A significant new package for 2005.

Similar to what he has said before. Will he get his legacy?

The teams can change this as long as they all agree, will this force them, or do they want this? Anyway, Max will be trying up until he leaves...
Quote:
Max
The Technical Working Group has two months to produce proposals and we then have to decide if they are acceptable. If not, then we can give the teams three alternative proposals of our own, from which they choose one. If this is not done within 45 days, then we can impose a set of measures of our own which can come in after a three month period.
Other related threads:
Max resigns
Max's replacement

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Jul 2004 at 11:39.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1024629)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope these plans by Max do come to fruition.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1024636)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All of them? Which ones are most likely?

Can the technical working ground come up with something in two months?

Will the change in president make a difference?

So many questions...

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Jul 2004 at 11:43.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1024643)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think the president change will affect it - the thing will be rubber stamped before he goes, particularly any changes for 2005.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1024660)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I missed it in my first post, but there is also his desire or a single tyre manufacture. Mainly to make the changes he wants easier?
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1024664)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

A single tyre manufacturer would be a positive thing, I believe.

Makes it much easier to keep cornering speeds under control.

And it eliminates the situation where millions of pounds worth of aero development can find you half a second, but then being on the "wrong" tyre can cost you two seconds.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1024870)   #7
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i hope this wasn't posted before ..
http://www.planetf1.com/news/story_16318.shtml

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Jul 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1024901)   #8
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sure is a good read
Old 3 Jul 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1024908)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Certainly is a good insight from Max.

He'll be missed.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1024927)   #10
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really cannot imagine the engine manufacturers will be impressed, having to spend the money on new engine design.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1024930)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

That's a one-off cost though.

The new engines, as explained, will be cheaper to run.

Anyway, the manufacturers do not and should not control the sport.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1024995)   #12
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the really only thing absolutely wrong .. IMHO .. is standard ECU ..i don't mind V8 . don't mind hard compound tires .. reduce aero . etc ..

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Jul 2004, 16:47 (Ref:1025004)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

I don't have a problem with standard ECU.

It means traction control can be got rid of.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1025023)   #14
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fully agree, I'm in favour of anything hat gets rid of traction control and puts the control of the car back in the hands (or feet in this case) of the driver
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1025038)   #15
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am really in favour of Max's proposals a lot of good things have happened to F1 over the last 15 or so years but what I like about his proposals are they do seem to look back a little and revisit some of the concepts that have been lost along the way. Some of which were right to drop at the time but in todays climate with the increases in safety, reduction in available revenue and increased interest by the casual viewer are worth re-introducing
Old 3 Jul 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1025120)   #16
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Max's legacy is one of knee jerk reactions, hollow threats and boring racing.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1025127)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l
I think Max's legacy is one of knee jerk reactions, hollow threats and boring racing.
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC (from another Max thread
The truth is that he and f1 have dragged their feet to a stunning extent compared to lesser formulae.
I find it quite interesting that the same guy is considered to have not done enough and to have done too much (not saying either is wrong). However the FIA president a job that attracts much critisism because of a small high profile part of the job.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1025154)   #18
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l
I would agree with that, and add Ferrari bias as well!
Old 3 Jul 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1025169)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
but will these new (knee jerk?) measures be introduced?

Max stands down in October, the manufacturers have two months to come up with a proposal, 45 days then to consider the FIA's 'choices'. When is that time up then...

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Jul 2004 at 20:45.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1025172)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tweed, that's utter b...b...balderdash. Especially the bit about Ferrari bias.

Max has had his moments both good and bad, but the progress made by Formula One during his twelve year tenure is truly stunning. Obviously that's not all to Max's sole credit - one B Ecclestone has had a say in matters too, along with Sir Jackie Stewart and the technical development spearheaded by the Dennis's, Heads and Byrnes of this world.

Max's legacy will, I hope, be realisation and agreement by the sport at large that changes are due to draw costs and speeds back from the stratosphere. F1 is and always should be the pinnacle of motorsport, but it's becoming too unreachable to too many to remain truly competitive.

Max's well publicised comments on announcing his retirement from the role ought to change the views of those who believed he was part of the tedium and bickering, but I don't suppose they'll listen...

Last edited by garcon; 3 Jul 2004 at 20:49.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1025191)   #21
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no, the Ferrari bias is absolutely right and starkingly obvious to some of us, but that's for another thread.

Whoever was in the job was always going to get more bad press than good, but I think he did better in the non-F1 side of things.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1026160)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Back to Max's suggestions. I think a lot of what people are calling for is included in them. He has been trying to introduce this for a long time, but kept coming across brick walls! He has seen his chance with the end of the Concrode agreement in sight.

However I fell he is missing a trick with re-fuelling. This is the only thing he has significantly got wrong to my mind.

Can he get his legacy through if he is not there in the run up to 2006 or if that fails 2008?
Old 5 Jul 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1026453)   #23
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it may be 'open season' on the FIA from now on. Ron D has already intitmated that the proposed changes on 'safety grounds' are open to interpretation.

"Dennis believes that Mosley is being imaginative in his use of article 7.5 of the Concorde Agreement, to railroad through immediate changes on the grounds of safety.

"Clearly," said Dennis, "the interpretation is being somewhat broadened by our president and it's a question of how the teams react when the Technical Working Group [TWG] meets this week" (autosport.com)

Max' parting 'swipe' at the team bosses will probably only get them to dig their heels in even more, in the short term, so we will probably have to wait until 2008 to see a definative F1 format, as then it can be set without the teams 'interference'.

On the subject of the 'safety' issue, certainly aero reduction is required to reduce cornering speeds, but once again Ferrari (for one) have built much of their advantage on detailed aero work, so are unlikely to give it back without a fight.

Similarly, Williams have opened another wind tunnel, which gives them two to operate 27/4, so presumably they have made this considerable investment to increase aero performance of their cars, not reduce it.

Even penny pinching Jaguar have recently got Ford to part with cash on an improved wind tunnel.

I guess a lot depends on Max' really will to try and implement change before he leaves, from his interview on autosport.com, you get the impression he's washed his hands of the team bosses, tired with their continual head in the sand view of F1.

I think quote of the year goes to Max for this gem, when asked if he would reconsider his resignation Max replied ""I am not an F1 team principal so I don't change my mind every few minutes," he said.

Pretty much sums it up IMO...

Last edited by Super Tourer; 5 Jul 2004 at 11:30.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 11:14 (Ref:1026550)   #24
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Ron Dennis seems to have taken some of Max's words at Magny Cours personally...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/3864357.stm

You can almost see his bottom lip quivering, bless him...

Still, if the face fits...

Last edited by garcon; 5 Jul 2004 at 11:15.