Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Apr 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2184472)   #1
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The first BTCC 2009 thread!- VXR in 09

OK, more of a light hearted pie-in-the-sky thread (and I beat Alfa Fan to a 2009 thread )

So, as you may have read, Vauxhall Opel have announced the Insignia will replace the Vectra. This creates a dilema for 888 and Vauxhall. What to do for 2009

i)They could continue to run with the current Vectra, but thats not good for marketing and at the end of the day, thats what pays the bills (hence SEAT having to field a van, sorry the Leon)

ii)They could go with another Astra variant, but thats due for replacment soon and again would be a bit off from a PR point of view, going back to a car, that wasnt that good originally.

iii)Or, they could run an Insignia. Now, to my eye, it does look massive, but the current Vectra isn't exactly small either. There are rumours that a Coupe may appear, but that wouldnt fit under BTCC rules, unless its a) a 4 door coupe or b) it gets national homologation.

So, with all that in mind, I thought I would try and improve my digital skills and have a play with an Insignia BTCC car. Its done in Vexel style (flat colours etc) so its quick to create.

I also thought it would be cool to try out an Opel version for the WTCC and an alternative livery as the current one is a little plain. I have a Saturn version on the go too

bigger version available here

Some shots of the road going Insignia - here

Last edited by andy_b; 22 Apr 2008 at 22:52.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2184476)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
slightly related to this thread from last year http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ight=opel+wtcc

To be honest, I doubt Opel would ever be seen in WTCC due to a class with Chevrolet (and the OPC house colours are the same, but hey its good pratice!)
Old 22 Apr 2008, 23:35 (Ref:2184495)   #3
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have read about the car on the Vauxhall website, I'm affraid that we won't see the Insignia in the WTCC or BTCC because it is "all-wheel-drive"

Nice mock-ups though
Old 22 Apr 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2184500)   #4
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
its not all wheel drive (there might be a model which is)
Old 23 Apr 2008, 05:09 (Ref:2184575)   #5
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
iii)Or, they could run an Insignia. Now, to my eye, it does look massive, but the current Vectra isn't exactly small either.
From the website - 'The old V-bar has been nixed in favor of a wider grille... The Insignia is 21 cm longer and five cm wider than the Vectra it replaces... the Insignia gets an additional 35 mm tacked onto its wheelbase. Three models will be available, including the standard saloon... Power is channeled to either the front or all four wheels... A VXR model is likely to be revealed sometime next year.'

All this would seem to suggest that Vauxhall would look to run the Insignia in 2009. Top job on the graphics, although I think the OPC design is closest to how the grille would be tackled.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2184623)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Second version with the white stripes running from the headlights is very BMW-esque
Old 23 Apr 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2184785)   #7
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sweetass designs Andy, great job. I love them, though they'll be big for sure!
Old 23 Apr 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2184960)   #8
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Great job. If that blue one showed up in WTCC, I might even become an Opel fan once again....
Old 23 Apr 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2185014)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The Insignia is a very nice looking car.

But will it get a 2L petrol engine? According a car website it will get probably a 2L turbo engine. And is this big car suited for S2000?

I prefer the 2nd and 3rd livery. Nice work Andy.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2185022)   #10
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think under S2000 rules you can put any engine in your car that is from another car in your company? They could just use the engine again they're running at the moment.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2185030)   #11
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
And is this big car suited for S2000?
indeed, just like the Alfa 159.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2185127)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably too big, I can see an Astra based car being used and the Vectras sold off.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2185259)   #13
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
The dilemma Andy is posting is interesting though. The Insigina will probably be too heavy, but the new Astra probably won't come untill 2010. Could they pull off a Kristofferson perhaps? Do one year without factory support? What else are their options?
Old 23 Apr 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2185277)   #14
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
thing is, I cant see them using an Astra if it gets replaced in 09 or 10 for just one series (its not like SEAT and BMW where multiple chassis are built and sold across EU). Thats just throwing money away...
Old 23 Apr 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2185286)   #15
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i reckon they'll still use the vectra next year even if it isn't the best thing marketing wise
Old 23 Apr 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2185356)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stunning artwork.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 05:31 (Ref:2185480)   #17
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If marketing is a major concern, and the Insignia is too big, would they consider running the Corsa?
Old 24 Apr 2008, 07:03 (Ref:2185498)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Corsa is waaaaay too small, It would be like running a Clio Cup car. Nice work Andy, Like the second one very much.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2185669)   #19
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
The Corsa is waaaaay too small, It would be like running a Clio Cup car. Nice work Andy, Like the second one very much.
Just out of curiosity, why would the Corsa be too small? It's dimensions are closer to the Civics and Leons than the current Vectra is.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2185728)   #20
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It must have a minimum lenght of 4,20m, and 5 doors. The Corsa only measures 3,99m. And the fastest engine is a 1.6l turbohcharged one, not a 2.0l NA engine.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2185809)   #21
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for S2000 do you have to have a 2.0l version of the car you want ot enter, or can you just put a 2.0l engine in it?

And I really can't see Vauxhall doing to Triple Eight what Audi did to Kristofferson. Vauxhall have really backed 888 with big money and resources. They paid for them to build two prototypes before the Astra SH came out (fat lot of good that did) and spent loads on billboard posters boasting their sucess.

If they continue with the vectra for a year when the cars discontinued it won't be a big deal, as it'll still create brand awareness, though not product awareness.

Love the artwork andy btw. I think you've shown VXR what their livery should have been.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2185838)   #22
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
for S2000 do you have to have a 2.0l version of the car you want ot enter, or can you just put a 2.0l engine in it?
As far as I know you can slot in any 2.0l engine you have within your company. That is how Chevrolet can run that Opel engine, same to Lada (being owned by GM). It would be possible for example to buy a Leon engine from Seat and put it in a VW Golf and get it homologated. Again, this is as far as I know, this is what I've heard. Don't pin me down on it
Old 24 Apr 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2185845)   #23
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
a) you don't seem to have completed the Holden version yet... surely it'll take a nice snorty V8

b) where's my WTCC guide, you slacker? Get your nose back to the grindstone - those Ladas won't draw themselves, you know...
Old 24 Apr 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2185847)   #24
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They will use the vectra next year and i'd imagine with full factory backing the vectra my offically be discontinued. but they aint going to sell all the stored brand new vectras before next season starts so it aint going to hurt there marketing. coz they have to find some mugs to sell them to.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2185851)   #25
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger_racer
They will use the vectra next year and i'd imagine with full factory backing the vectra my offically be discontinued. but they aint going to sell all the stored brand new vectras before next season starts so it aint going to hurt there marketing. coz they have to find some mugs to sell them to.
plus - in truth - like all manufacturers, Vauxhall go racing to make the brand look young, sexy and vital, by association - not to shift one particular model...

racing a long-defunct model just looks cheap, but if the Vectra is replaced mid-season, how much different will the new car REALLY look on the road - if people even notice the change at all...

it's not as if the BTCC cars really look all that much like the road cars anyway, with the liveries, arches, slammed suspensions etc

mind you... slammed suspension, dodgy body-kits, wierd paint... maybe the Corsa is more on the money, as most of the ones I see these days actually look like that...!!