Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Feb 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2391182)   #1
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar S-type period competition history

I find it hard to believe that the S-type had no international competition use when it was first introduced - surely the new-fangled IRS would have tempted someone to have a go. Anyone know better? Any info on UK or club events would be welcome, it might provide leads worth following.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2391482)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly no international history - that is why they cant get FIA papers.
Dont forget in period they were pretty unloved.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2391488)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They were also automatic AFAIK.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2392015)   #4
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm almost certain they were available as manuals from the outset, but they were certainly aimed at an 'exec' market rather than the sports saloon following of the Mk2. The IRS was the big difference from the Mk2, and with hindsight it's amazing that the potential of that rear end wasn't spotted sooner.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 04:56 (Ref:2392118)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably the extra weight - 120-140kg above Mk2 weight. Also on a racetrack the deficiency of a live axle compared to irs is not as pronounced.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2392312)   #6
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'm not so sure, I've raced a Mk2 against XJ6's & XJ40's for 2 years and you just can't get the power down coming out of a corner like they can. I've yet to get to grips with my S type, only done 1 race with no clutch and bu**er all brakes so not really representative of how it handles, but I'm doing some testing later this month so we'll find out then.

I haven't weighed the car yet, but an old weighbridge ticket has it at 1240kgs and I don't think you would get a MK2 much below that safely, even if the regs allowed it.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2396439)   #7
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough Colin. Perhaps that by 1964/65 the Jaguar was no longer a force in touring car racing, having been outclassed by Mustangs etc?
Old 12 Feb 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2396451)   #8
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
My point exactly. The Mk2's were pretty much outclassed by the time the S type came out, all the more strange that the irs wasn't widely welcomed, the XK engine still had plenty life left in it.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2416274)   #9
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
This is interesting. At Race Retro I had the opportunity for a long chat with Norman Dewis. His memory is usually spot-on and he's fairly certain that Salvadori, amongst others, raced an S-type when they were first introduced. Unfortunately he's off on a lengthy tour of the US and won't have the time to dig through his files before he goes, but there's the anecdotal evidence, the truth must be out there somewhere!
Old 16 Mar 2009, 06:30 (Ref:2416418)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking at Roy's Biog on the bRDC site his last race was June 1965. But all I can find are his MkII exploits for Coombs.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2416432)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Colin - they were never homologated in period by the factory and never ran in an international race so you will never get FIA papers for it so enjoy it for what it is - a great clubman's car.
That is why it presumably cost considerably less than a papered Mk2!
Old 16 Mar 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2416644)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have Salvo's autobiog (co-written with Anthony Pritchard) and there is no reference to him driving an S type. He drove Mk2s during the 1963 season, but by 1964 he was close to retirement. He did just 5 races in 1964 and 1 in 1965, none of them in Jaguars, and was by that time both a director and racing manager for Cooper Cars.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2416719)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Colin - they were never homologated in period by the factory and never ran in an international race so you will never get FIA papers for it so enjoy it for what it is - a great clubman's car.
Stop shouting at your screen you'll wake up the office!
Old 16 Mar 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2416721)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

haha fair comment but it was Monday morning!
Old 16 Mar 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2416923)   #15
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I know, I know. Clutching at straws, but I'm nevertheless intrigued why they weren't experimented with, even in national events. As for the 2nd point, try telling that to the Director of Finance!
Old 17 Mar 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2417355)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Years ago (I used to trade in cars which is why I have had so many different models) I bought a white ex-police S Type at the Alexandra Palace car Auctions, I am almost 100% certain this had a manual transmission fitted as I recollect it gave me some problems selling it on although it may have been the holes in the roof and the zip in the headlining not helping.

Tags
s type jaguar