Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Aug 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3291139)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Homebush 2013 To Hold Twilight Meeting?

I reckon it would be awesome to have one of these on a Friday night...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Aug 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3291144)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its seems that The Daily Telegraph has a scoop, written by Mr Phelps, and no linked to the web as yet, the story describes how Mr Warburton is still in discussions with Destination NSW about continuing the government support for the Homebush race meeting for a further 5 years

Apparently, according to the story, written by V8Supercars' own James Phelps, the final race of the season is set to run on Saturday night, from early evening to 8.30pm... no lighting for the track, the cars to rely on their headlights for vision (lucky they arent painted on huh..)

Interesting possibility... would likely be a lower temperature for the fans.. although what might be scheduled for the Sunday would be fun to understand...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Aug 2013, 00:35 (Ref:3291146)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Friday night, Saturday night, scratch Sunday?
Old 18 Aug 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3291149)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fingers crossed Destination NSW arent duped into another 5 years of falling attendences and economic benefits.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3291173)   #5
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Its seems that The Daily Telegraph has a scoop, written by Mr Phelps, and no linked to the web as yet, the story describes how Mr Warburton is still in discussions with Destination NSW about continuing the government support for the Homebush race meeting for a further 5 years

Apparently, according to the story, written by V8Supercars' own James Phelps, the final race of the season is set to run on Saturday night, from early evening to 8.30pm... no lighting for the track, the cars to rely on their headlights for vision (lucky they arent painted on huh..)

Interesting possibility... would likely be a lower temperature for the fans.. although what might be scheduled for the Sunday would be fun to understand...
Does this mean they might be doing away with the post-race concerts which was one of the supposed major attractions to the event?

Nothing has been announced on that front as yet.

Could work if done right.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 02:39 (Ref:3291178)   #6
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Does this mean they might be doing away with the post-race concerts which was one of the supposed major attractions to the event?

Nothing has been announced on that front as yet.

Could work if done right.
The sound of the Mercedes V8 Supercar is the concert.

I can't wait for this; I don't follow V8 Supercars much but I usually tune in for Adelaide, Sandown, Bathurst, Gold Coast, and Homebush. This should be epic... I love the idea of finishing the series in the twilight. What a way to spend a Friday and Saturday night - I'm tempted to fly down there!
Old 18 Aug 2013, 04:11 (Ref:3291199)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Fingers crossed Destination NSW arent duped into another 5 years of falling attendences and economic benefits.
I hope the contract is extended for 10 more years with more options after that.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Aug 2013, 04:15 (Ref:3291201)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
+1
Old 18 Aug 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3291227)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hope - based on the success against KPIs from the first 5 year contract?????
Old 18 Aug 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3291229)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Hope - based on the success against KPIs from the first 5 year contract?????
of course , why would anyone who calls them self a motorsport fan not want this race to go ahead.

Australias top catagory, racing in front of 60,000 plus people. Thats fantastic
Old 18 Aug 2013, 07:48 (Ref:3291233)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
of course , why would anyone who calls them self a motorsport fan not want this race to go ahead.
As it comes at the expense of other Motorsport events.

I also don't see the point of selling a race funded by tax payer money on KPIs if your not going to be held accountable to it, regardless of being a Motorsport fan or not.

I can think of plenty of Motorsport categories or sports that would take $50 million to hold races and not be accountable to the results or outcomes of the event.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3291236)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

I also don't see the point of selling a race funded by tax payer money on KPIs if your not going to be held accountable to it, regardless of being a Motorsport fan or not.

I can think of plenty of Motorsport categories or sports that would take $50 million to hold races and not be accountable to the results or outcomes of the event.
The good people at Destination NSW will make their own assessment of the economic viability and benefits before making the offer for an extended deal. So if they are satisfied with the outcomes, why shouldnt we be too?

Or should we hold V8Supercar to a higher standard to appease the ARDC/Eastern Creek apologists? How's Amaroo Park going for you guys?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Aug 2013, 08:15 (Ref:3291240)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
The good people at Destination NSW will make their own assessment of the economic viability and benefits before making the offer for an extended deal. So if they are satisfied with the outcomes, why shouldnt we be too?
And so they will however the Auditor Generals office has already done this for us - with those figures falling annually since then.

Quote:
Or should we hold V8Supercar to a higher standard to appease the ARDC/Eastern Creek apologists? How's Amaroo Park going for you guys?
We should hold V8SC to the same standards as other businesses would be.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3291245)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

What motorsport event hasd it come at the expense of DRT, as far as i can see it has given us a new event and no event has missed out as a result.

you cant think of any motorsport categories that would spend 50 million over a number of years (do you have a source for that number) and would get anywhere near the the results of the the v8 race. Certainly you couldn't do it with F1 and i would be doubtful you would find any other category that would pull the numbers and give the return

By the way what do you base the lack of return on, it certainly wasn't in the auditors report you posted previously
Old 18 Aug 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3291247)   #15
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glad to see this thread is still about the Homebush race running into twilight...
Old 18 Aug 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3291250)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A twilight event makes great sense... Homebush is an interesting choice... with the crash and bash of the regular pilots anyway, making vision less than 100%, I wonder whether it will make that unwanted attraction actually worse?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Aug 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3291261)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
By the way what do you base the lack of return on, it certainly wasn't in the auditors report you posted previously
Understanding the need to keep this closer to first post, just wanted to link the below findings from the AG report to put the above point in context
Quote:
However, we concluded that:
 Government received inadequate advice when assessing the proposal
 Post-event analysis indicates that costs are more than planned and that economic impacts are less than estimated largely because of fewer visitors from interstate.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3291263)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Understanding the need to keep this closer to first post, just wanted to link the below findings from the AG report to put the above point in context
But thats hardly shows that a night race is not beneficial and hardly shows that the event not be extended.

it just suggests that the government should be wiser with there assumptions next calculation

Last edited by peckstar; 18 Aug 2013 at 09:55.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3291385)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds good to me.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3291506)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Looks like someone at SpeedCafe had their mum or dad send them a copy of the Sunday Telegraph... took them a long time to jump on the bandwagonArticle Here

Hombush Twilight 500... sounds nice doesnt it? Maybe get Endeavour Energy or someone similar to sponsor it...

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Aug 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3291528)   #21
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

They did initially. They rejected it 6 years ago but were over ruled by the Premier's office after V8s paid a 'donation' of around 30K to Ian MacDonald and the Premier was personally lobbied by John Hartigan & Kerry Stokes.

I want high-profile events for V8s. Given that Eastern Creek received its upgrade money, I'm not as concerned about the impact there.

But without repeating myself from years ago, this event is at an ordinary location, rubbish circuit at the wrong time of year. I mean who has a holiday 2-3 weeks before Xmas to go to a car race?

It's run well, is ok to go to, but it has never stood up as a worthwhile investment for NSW taxpayers.

The promotion for it has focused on concerts, which means even its own promoters know it can't stand up as an event on its own and it has had fewer spectators year on year and absolutely stuff-all tourists.

V8s are desperate for it for two reasons:
1) They need 'events' as opposed to rounds to increase interest for the next TV deal. Street races get more ratings than regular rounds.
2) They would have to go back to Eastern Creek. Or commit commercial suicide by not having a round in the business capital of Australia.

I don't know if they'll get the Libs to back it - I'd be surprised if they do, but crazier stuff has happened - but unless V8s can show how they'll turn it around and make it a genuine tourist destination event, as a taxpayer I don't want it back.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3291532)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
They did initially. They rejected it 6 years ago but were over ruled by the Premier's office after V8s paid a 'donation' of around 30K to Ian MacDonald and the Premier was personally lobbied by John Hartigan & Kerry Stokes.

I want high-profile events for V8s. Given that Eastern Creek received its upgrade money, I'm not as concerned about the impact there.

But without repeating myself from years ago, this event is at an ordinary location, rubbish circuit at the wrong time of year. I mean who has a holiday 2-3 weeks before Xmas to go to a car race?

It's run well, is ok to go to, but it has never stood up as a worthwhile investment for NSW taxpayers.

The promotion for it has focused on concerts, which means even its own promoters know it can't stand up as an event on its own and it has had fewer spectators year on year and absolutely stuff-all tourists.

V8s are desperate for it for two reasons:
1) They need 'events' as opposed to rounds to increase interest for the next TV deal. Street races get more ratings than regular rounds.
2) They would have to go back to Eastern Creek. Or commit commercial suicide by not having a round in the business capital of Australia.

I don't know if they'll get the Libs to back it - I'd be surprised if they do, but crazier stuff has happened - but unless V8s can show how they'll turn it around and make it a genuine tourist destination event, as a taxpayer I don't want it back.
If Destination NSW & friends strike a new deal for the Homebush event with V8Supercar, it will be a separate arrangement on its own merits wont it?

New government, new political party, new management of the Authority governing the facilities.

No apparently undue influence or duress from anywhere.

Eastern Creek can have its own round as well...

Perhaps they should get the ARDC to build a business case for it, detailing specifically how they will deliver on a spectator experience that draws more than 3 men and a dog to the race meeting.

They havent been successful at doing this so far, although this doesnt mean that they cant. Maybe they just dont want to.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Aug 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3291538)   #23
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If Destination NSW & friends strike a new deal for the Homebush event with V8Supercar, it will be a separate arrangement on its own merits wont it?

New government, new political party, new management of the Authority governing the facilities.

No apparently undue influence or duress from anywhere.

Eastern Creek can have its own round as well...

Perhaps they should get the ARDC to build a business case for it, detailing specifically how they will deliver on a spectator experience that draws more than 3 men and a dog to the race meeting.

They havent been successful at doing this so far, although this doesnt mean that they cant. Maybe they just dont want to.
Of course they will. And arguably they will be better informed/less gullibe than the previous mob. But at $6m a year (leaving aside the astronomical start-up costs) you could alternate bringing Oprah and Manchester United each year and get a far bigger economic benefit than V8s provides.

And maybe V8s can show us a business case where they can run a round without taxpayer funding. I mean they haven't been successful at doing this so far, although that doesn't mean they can't.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3291542)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Of course they will. And arguably they will be better informed/less gullibe than the previous mob. But at $6m a year (leaving aside the astronomical start-up costs) you could alternate bringing Oprah and Manchester United each year and get a far bigger economic benefit than V8s provides.

And maybe V8s can show us a business case where they can run a round without taxpayer funding. I mean they haven't been successful at doing this so far, although that doesn't mean they can't.
It would be unlikely that the level of largesse/support from Destination NSW will maintain its current level. There is recent precedent for this with the Qld trio being re-signed for a lower contribution from the state.

How about they bring out Manchester United again (cracking game against the AllStars by the way, who looked like an under 7s group at the local park) and play on the Saturday night??

V8Supercar does run rounds without government assistance. At Winton.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Aug 2013, 03:41 (Ref:3291555)   #25
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
It would be unlikely that the level of largesse/support from Destination NSW will maintain its current level. There is recent precedent for this with the Qld trio being re-signed for a lower contribution from the state.

How about they bring out Manchester United again (cracking game against the AllStars by the way, who looked like an under 7s group at the local park) and play on the Saturday night??

V8Supercar does run rounds without government assistance. At Winton.
Yeah, I'd like to see V8s take away the venue where 19 of the 28 cars test because they don't get Govt money. That'll end well.

And actually your idea has merit - just substitute ManUtd for Cold Chisel, Guns'n'Roses etc - and that's already been the marketing plan for Homebush race.

At least if they used Man Utd, some of the 85,000 fans, many of whom came from interstate and OS, might come along to see it.

Although the Govt might just ask the question - if you're only promoting the concert, and that's what everyone's coming for - why do we need the cars?