Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Dec 2005, 04:28 (Ref:1479388)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Rahal II Signs With MiJack/Conquest - Atlantic

Climbing the ladder pretty quickly, as he's only sixteen:

2003 - Karts
2004 - Formula BMW USA
2005 - Star Mazda Pro Series
2006 - Formula Atlantic

Quote:
Bobby Rahal:

We are fortunate to have Don Halliday and Mike Zimicki in the equation working with Eric (Bachelart).
Story.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 05:38 (Ref:1479407)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is quiet the coup for Atlantics. He does seem to be genuinely talented, but clearly there were stronger drivers in Star Mazda this year.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1479745)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
That is quiet the coup for Atlantics.
Coup? Formula Atlantics has been mentioned as the next step in pretty much all articles - the ones I have read, anyhow - about Graham Rahal.

EDIT - With that said I want to point out I think it's great Rahal enters the series, and also that the Atlantics should be great next year.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1479772)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This has nothing to do with IRL, and everything to do with Graham's development.

Don't be surprised if he shows up in sportscars for a while too. Bobby is adamant that the kid race everything.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 8 Dec 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1479835)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Up until now everything that we heard relating Graham Rahal to Atlantics was pretty speculative. I think it's a coup for Atlantics for two reasons:

1. Graham has made some rather undiplomatic statements regarding the sorry state of US OW and how sports car racing was the way to go. It's pretty tough to be overly excited about the success of ALMS and Grand Am. Their biggest success seems to be that some names have started to move in, but that doesn't immediately address the public's interest. Graham staying in Star Mazda or moving to ALMS might have seemed the most probable move a few months ago.
2. Bobby Rahal obviously has an IRL team. It seems logical that if Graham was against OW, the series that he'd be least against would be the IRL.

BTW: Graham won the SCCA nationals in Formula Atlantics - not that the competition was all that stiff.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1479906)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
It's pretty tough to be overly excited about the success of ALMS and Grand Am. Their biggest success seems to be that some names have started to move in, but that doesn't immediately address the public's interest.
Snrub, just because you haven't noticed it doesn't mean that a series has less visibility than your own personal favourites. In a short while I expect the comparative info on the series - and given last year's showings I don't expect there to be a significant difference.

Suffice it to say if public's interest is concerned, and ALMS doesn't make the grade in your judgement, then there are exactly two ways to go: get into NASCAR or run the Indy 500 (not the series, just the race). The rest is filler.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Dec 2005, 04:10 (Ref:1480190)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Snrub, just because you haven't noticed it doesn't mean that a series has less visibility than your own personal favourites. In a short while I expect the comparative info on the series - and given last year's showings I don't expect there to be a significant difference.
Please don't misinterprete what I'm trying to say.

Graham basically said that OW wasn't of interest to him in no small part because it was doing poorly. I'm not disagreeing that OW is doing poorly. My point was that it's only fair to note that ALMS and Grand Am have some problems too. ALMS has few competitors in the top classes but does draw well at some events. Grand Am on the other hand has an impressive number of competitors and some money appears to be flowing into the series, but no one is watching. In other words none of the four series is doing well - I think we agree on that. I suppose we needn't mince the words of a 16 year old, but I was simply trying to say that Graham's future is yet to be decided.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1480832)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
This thread is to discuss Graham Rahal, his team, and their arrival in the Atlantic series.

It is NOT to discuss the IRL, or its future in relation to ChampCar. That is totally off-topic here.

This is why ten posts have just been pulled.

Last edited by macdaddy; 10 Dec 2005 at 00:03.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1480916)   #9
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eric Bachelart sure has a thing for signing young drivers. Phillipe, Ranger, and now Rahal.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1480932)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Quote:
Bobby Rahal (Back in September):

We have placed a deposit on a new car in anticipation of entering the series with Graham. However, that participation is dependent on raising the necessary sponsorship.
I guess that he's not going to start his own team afterall.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1481129)   #11
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Macdaddy, my fault if we ended up talking about the IRL. I believed at the time the subjects could be linked
Old 10 Dec 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1481292)   #12
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Gosh, that's kind of young isn't it - 16?
Old 10 Dec 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1481420)   #13
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
For the heck of it - what governs the age of these drivers anyway? I must say it seems kind of ironic to this member that a 16 year old can be in an Atlantics car (in the assumed danger) - before he is even seen as responsible enough to make a decision for himself about whether he wants to drink or smoke! Must be the mother in me - but I find it ironic that his parents can put him in such a dangerous sport at that age without problems with child authorities - would they not be held accountable for endangering his health were they to give him a drink or a cigarette? I would be interested in knowing what governs the age issue here. I believe in carrying on a family tradition....buy holy moly, I find 16 kinda young. Is it the youngest - and do you suppose it will stay the youngest or - actually - how low in age can this go?
Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:18 (Ref:1481440)   #14
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't quote me on this but didn't Nelson Phillpe have his first Champ Car race at 17? I think the logic behind getting them in their as young as possible is to build expereince but i understand what you mean okeefe.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1481444)   #15
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Thanks for responding and for your understanding Xpunk75. I won't go on about it because I realize it is not the real topic here - but wow I hope those cars and series keep this young boy safe!
Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1481447)   #16
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso debuted in F1 at 19.

As have many other F1 drivers.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1481578)   #17
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport is less dangerous than drinking, smoking, and alot more dangerous than public roads...

Good luck to him.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 11 Dec 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1481638)   #18
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
And on those less dangerous public roads - a 16-year old driver would be limited by the Province with probabionary terms for even that less dangerous driving - in this Province at least - to not even be allowed to drive on highways; after dark; etc. I find it ironic that at that same age, this young boy is "in the fast lane" on a race track which is more dangerous than public roads - so apparently provincial/state driving limitations and child welfare agencies don't interfere with it. I'm not so sure in this Province that one could put one's child in a dangerous situation at 16 years old and not have to answer to someone somewhere. Perhaps it's just hard for the mother in me to not be concerned about safety for a boy of 16. Good luck and all the best to him for sure!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1484198)   #19
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
For the heck of it - what governs the age of these drivers anyway? I must say it seems kind of ironic to this member that a 16 year old can be in an Atlantics car (in the assumed danger) - before he is even seen as responsible enough to make a decision for himself about whether he wants to drink or smoke! Must be the mother in me - but I find it ironic that his parents can put him in such a dangerous sport at that age without problems with child authorities - would they not be held accountable for endangering his health were they to give him a drink or a cigarette? I would be interested in knowing what governs the age issue here. I believe in carrying on a family tradition....buy holy moly, I find 16 kinda young. Is it the youngest - and do you suppose it will stay the youngest or - actually - how low in age can this go?
Is it any more dangerous than other sports that a 16 yo would compete in? I have a friend that blew out her knee playing HS Basketball, and will have trouble with it for the rest of her life. There have been a number of student athletes that have died while playing, and injuries are fairly common.
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 01:53 (Ref:1484385)   #20
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uesque
Is it any more dangerous than other sports that a 16 yo would compete in? I have a friend that blew out her knee playing HS Basketball, and will have trouble with it for the rest of her life. There have been a number of student athletes that have died while playing, and injuries are fairly common.

Good point and fair comment - thanks, I've considered that myself - and for what it's worth - I also cringe at football injuries and have seen some very severe brain injuries and resulting lawsuits that make me cringe too! I'm sure that this young fellow has lots of experience in comparison to just some other 16 year olds too. I would like to know what does govern age of entry though - if anything. But I'll surely join you all in wishing him a good safe season accepting the fact that I don't know all these rules that apply. In my mothering heart though - sorry - I do think that 16 is too young for this series.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1484977)   #21
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
Good point and fair comment - thanks, I've considered that myself - and for what it's worth - I also cringe at football injuries and have seen some very severe brain injuries and resulting lawsuits that make me cringe too! I'm sure that this young fellow has lots of experience in comparison to just some other 16 year olds too. I would like to know what does govern age of entry though - if anything. But I'll surely join you all in wishing him a good safe season accepting the fact that I don't know all these rules that apply. In my mothering heart though - sorry - I do think that 16 is too young for this series.

From a maturity standpoint, I would be inclined to agree, actually. How many outstanding young athletes or entertainers for that matter have achieved success at an age where they were not mature enough to deal with it? Then they're left with a complete lack of social skills to serve them when the money is gone and they have to face the real world. Unless they have a strong parental or other mentoring influence to keep them grounded, it could be a recipe for trouble. Let kids be kids, there's time enough later for adult things.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1485745)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
My cousin's son just turned 16. He is about to embark on his first season driving a sprint car (local tracks). He has raced successfully in a variety of different dirt karts, has tested the big equipment (under supervison that included his dad's but also other experienced racers) and has shown pace and maturity in decision-making. I have not a reason to be fearful on his ability to do this. No, it isn't Atlantics or IPS but strapping on a Sprinter isn't like playing Romper Room either.

Insofar as having a 16 year old involved in a "dangerous sport" I guess than this bodes ill for Junior Hockey in Canada where many children are signed to play by the time they are 16 having to leave their homes and schools to pursue their dream on a big frozen sheet of ice surrounded by walls and crowded with large people who carry sticks? Sounds terribly dangerous. Yet many play the game and are better for it even if they never reach any of the higher rungs of the sport.

If the person can compete at a particular level they should be able to.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1485765)   #23
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
For sure it can certainly come down to a maturity and guidance issue as to whether one 16 year old can handle what another 16 year old may not be able to, and I appreciate your comments. To further complicate the issue, laws and child protection aspects here in Ontario at least and their stance do merit the age questions raised. Recently an amendment to laws has been proposed that a child under 18 who is not in school cannot even possess a driver's licence - believing that children under 18 should be in school to secure education which has been deemed much more important in today's world - before their dreams. I think the age of 16 is too young to be in Atlantics -- but not ALL earlier levels of auto/bike sport. I do not think hockey is as dangerous as the Atlantics. Amnesty International lobbied for special status for children under 18 so they might not be executed -- and those number of child executions on their website etc made a believer out of me, so I helped. I'll never agree that 16 is old enough for the Atlantics -- but I can wish all young racers safety; and I do.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1485865)   #24
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think its a great move by rahal for his son to race atlantics for a couple of years he learn his craft better than marco will in the irl i think its crazey putting an inexperienced driver in them cars its to soon
Old 18 Dec 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1486076)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
As I posted in the other forum, the Andretti's do not do thing without a plan and considering that Uncle Aldo (Mario's twin brother) is a constant reminder of what CAN go wrong, I doubt that they would do anything "crazy" with Marco or his career.

Rahal's decision is his and Graham's. They obviously feel that Atlantics would be best for Graham at this point, but perhaps Graham is looking for something different in his career; a trip across the Atlantic perhaps?

In any event drivers mature, learn and develop at different rates. You have your Raikonnen's who go almost (not quite) directly from karts to F1. Alonso is a similar case. Now I am not saying that either Graham or Marco do or do not possess that level of talent - simply that the path to success is not carved in stone.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.