Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2009, 06:06 (Ref:2481387)   #1
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Will 2009 go down as the worst year in F1

With the Championship all but decided, the ugliest cars with all the artificial rules (KERS, moval front wings, different tyre compounds, etc) to make the races more exciting but in fact have been a bore. I mean was that a great pass due to a movable flap, a push of a button, because the driver in front had the option tyre on I mean give me a break. They got rid of the driver aids and replaced them with these help me to pass gysmos. And to top it off we have the politics outside of the races. Shame, roll on 2010
Old 13 Jun 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2481388)   #2
Timomies
Rookie

Finland
Finland
Timomies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2481441)   #3
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
No.

Not much difference this year to many in the past, and in fact I think it stands out, in a good way, because of the Brawn/Button 'domination' - which was completely unexpected (unless you were R. Brawn of course)

I'm not bothered what the cars look like to be honest. KERS is interesting, no-body has noticed the moveable front wings at all, and we've had the different compounds for a couple of years.

Politics we could do without, but that's not exactly been conspicuous by its absence in the last few years.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2481443)   #4
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Started following F1 in the early 50's.
Believe me there have been much worse seasons than this one.
While my rose tinted hindsight tells me that I watched some great races in the Past, as SEASONS go there havent been many as closely contested as the past 4.
Now, the poliyoics are probably something we can all do without.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2481444)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Shame, roll on 2010
Why? What's happening then?

tbh I think it's a year that is showing that F1 is closer than it's ever been.It's just that maybe some people are a little annoyed that the 'best' teams aren't at the front any more.

And yeah! It should be a spec series! Who needs all these gizzmo's!
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2481450)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know. The championship seems to be decided already. The cars look ugly, but there isn't very much more overtaking compared to last year.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2481458)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The in fighting is putting a damper on it for me to be honest, at the same time I am delighted for Jenson Button and Brawn of course..

The cars, well they are spoiled by these silly looking front and rear wings....
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2481469)   #8
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loving it!!!

It's great to see a under dog team and someone that was written off at the end of last year winning races.

I'll concede it would be even better if they weren't quite so good though, and there was a couple of other "outsider" teams also in the running.

Also its brilliant to see Vettal, a supposedly rising super star, and Webber, a veteran wise and quick racer that hasn't achieved all his goals in F1 both slogging it out near the top.

Some of the circuits are ho hum, but others are great.

And as far as the politics go, its fantastic!

Everybody has been whinging about the Bernie & Max show and here you are with a front row seat to watch an evil empire topple!!!

As far as the cars are concerned, yes the front wing is hideous, but hey, you get use to them.

What more could you ask for!!

The 09 season will go down in the history books.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2481475)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ah! A person whose glass is half full.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2481490)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its great - ferrari & mclaren are nowhere
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2481492)   #11
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Marbot, if you put up with F1 TV coverage where I live well you need to be an optimist to keep watching it.

But hey, Melbourne is only 5 hours down the road and I do have free accommodation 10 minutes from the circuit.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2481496)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Its great - ferrari & mclaren are nowhere
Ah! A person with two full glasses.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2481508)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was great to start with because we have different teams at the front, but Brawn being at the front in every race is no longer different

It's not a classic by any stretch of the imagination. It'll be remembered for the change in pecking order, the farce of Malaysia, the DDD debate, the political wranglings, and Jenson Button dominating
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2481528)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
It was great to start with because we have different teams at the front, but Brawn being at the front in every race is no longer different
You're right,F1 is the same now as it's always been.

We've had seasons where Ferrari dominated and seasons where Williams dominated and seasons where McLaren dominated......If you have only one or two people in F1 that can design 'winning' cars then we shouldn't be too surprised if their cars are always at the front.

Same old same old,but that's F1!
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2481542)   #15
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
no-body has noticed the moveable front wings at all, and we've had the different compounds for a couple of years.
Nobody has noticed the movable wings because they don't help. Not at 6 deg. difference at least. Make them fully adjustable or get rid of it. The problem with the compounds is that now they have a gap. There's too big of a difference between tire performance. It has lead to some "interesting" racing in spots, but it's pretty lame when the rules force you to spend 1/4 to 1/3 of the race as a mobile chicane. Also, it handcuffs the teams strategy wise.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2481546)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It has put some people to shame, and though there's the usual whining, the top teams are just there trying to catch up with the new boys in town... That proves that the competition starts at the designing, in every piece of the car and that's what F1 is all about. I like the way it is now, Button is dominating but the teams are working hard to get the Brawns, that's refreshing.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2481555)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
Nobody has noticed the movable wings because they don't help..Not at 6 deg. difference at least..Make them fully adjustable or get rid of it..
AFAIK the 2010 regulations do allow for fully adjustable wings.It would be a shame if we had to keep this seasons regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
The problem with the compounds is that now they have a gap. There's too big of a difference between tire performance. It has lead to some "interesting" racing in spots, but it's pretty lame when the rules force you to spend 1/4 to 1/3 of the race as a mobile chicane. Also, it handcuffs the teams strategy wise.
I think it's Bridgestones way of 'keeping in the spot light'.But it's the same for everyone and it's technically difficult for teams to be fast on both,which it should be.At least it's better than the tyre wars of the past.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2481565)   #18
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but without testing how is it possible to catch up with the Brawns? Sure, the Brawns can make gains also, but it is always harder to squeeze out the final tenths. Remember when the Mercs were a second faster than the Ferrari's in Melbourne and Ferrari kept chipping away at the gap until it would always go down to the wire in Japan? To me, in season testing is fundamental to developmental gains. There has not been any earth shattering gains going on with the testing ban imho. I don't know, I just found it interesting following testing and new parts introduced to the cars that were "tested" on the track and not just in the tunnel.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2481626)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Yeah, but without testing how is it possible to catch up with the Brawns? Sure, the Brawns can make gains also, but it is always harder to squeeze out the final tenths. Remember when the Mercs were a second faster than the Ferrari's in Melbourne and Ferrari kept chipping away at the gap until it would always go down to the wire in Japan? To me, in season testing is fundamental to developmental gains. There has not been any earth shattering gains going on with the testing ban imho. I don't know, I just found it interesting following testing and new parts introduced to the cars that were "tested" on the track and not just in the tunnel.
All that testing was costing money.F1 had become a spending competition.Minute adjustments to the aero properties of a front wing or a barge board may have made a difference for some,but were getting the supposed "Pinnacle of Motor Sport" nowhere fast.

IMO it would be better if you could do pretty much what you wanted with regards to designing,building and testing a car,but do it within a budget.Can't think why anyone hasn't thought of that before.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2481783)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know about the worst season in the history of F1, but it's probably turning out to be the worst I've ever seen (and although I haven't seen as many as some, I have been watching for well over a decade). The fact that the races are utterly predictable isn't really anything new - it's unusual compared to the past couple of seasons, which I really think have been fantastic - because we saw all of that with Schumacher winning all the time, but it is disappointing that the FIA had to meddle with the rules at a time when the sport was the most exciting it had been in years.

The politics and in-fighting is just adding to the sense of disillusionment this season, and if it's making me not care about the sport so much then it must be a massive turn-off to all the casual fans who have started tuning in over the past two or three years for the simple reason that it's been exciting to watch. When I walked into work the day after the Brazilian GP last year, everybody was talking about the race. I'll be utterly amazed if I hear that kind of reaction to any race this season.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 13 Jun 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2481842)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
When I walked into work the day after the Brazilian GP last year, everybody was talking about the race. I'll be utterly amazed if I hear that kind of reaction to any race this season.
Some would say that that particular season finale was slightly manufactured.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2481909)   #22
Naruto
Racer

United States
Philadelphia, PA
Naruto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one of the best a great under dog story. Also i think button is a better face for F1 rather than lewis.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2481921)   #23
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
I am sure Brawns GP dominance will be erased next year and that should be good for the sport but I am more worried about the artificial racing. I followed F1 because they were the best drivers in the world racing the most sophisticated cars. Now I see a fantastic pass and I wonder did he push the button, raised the angle of the front wing and so on. I didn't care to see two or three passes last year but at least I know it was done with bravery and skill of the driver. I'ts like indoor football sure they made it easier to score goals to improve the show but I would rather watch a proper match even though the score would be a lot less. And I hate to say it but the tracks now are too safe. Drivers don't respect the circuits except for Monaco. That was also the allure of the Formula One. Why do we like rain races because it is much harder on the drivers to win and the possibility of their limits being over exceeded
Old 13 Jun 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2481969)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see a team dominating because they're doing everything right as bad for the sport.

I see endless rule changes as not so good (technical changes must sometimes be made, granted, because it's a perpetual battle against the ingenuity of the teams to slow the cars down), and constant bickering as bad.

Brawn don't even have that dominant a car! They're strategically just that bit cleverer than anyone else, which makes their win tally so far more impressive.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2481974)   #25
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am actually enjoying it. I enjoy seeing the established order turned on its head. I enjoy watching people who seem to have had it easy struggle-it shows what they are made of and i enjoy see former backmarkers show what they can do when given the chance.

Some of the cars are ugly, (BMW) and some are actually quite nice looking, (Brawn, Renault, Red Bull).

The only downside is the politics. The on-track action has been as good as ever-and better than some.