Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 7 Jul 2003, 15:11 (Ref:654901)   #1
shurikus
Rookie

shurikus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL at Mid-Ohio

editor of one russian autosport magazine wrote on one russian forum, that Sam Hornish Jr. already tested IRL car at Mid-Ohio, but that's all what he wrote.
personally I never heard about this, is it true? if so, is somewhere info/article about that test?
and I sat down in Gasoline Alley and I cried
Old 7 Jul 2003, 19:06 (Ref:655124)   #2
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHAT!?!? I never heard anything about that! I doubt it though, that would be a little strange.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 19:29 (Ref:655141)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rumors of an IRL road race might come to fruition, but MidOhio- I was sure it'd be Watkins glen
oh boy. This is a start for something
Old 7 Jul 2003, 22:10 (Ref:655311)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt that Tony George is going to run his series on a road course...

The whole point is Oval Racing and getting back to his version of what Champ cars should be all about....

I doubt this one...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 23:54 (Ref:655385)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
havent heard anything about this either , would be good to see though just to see what they are like on a road course.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 03:05 (Ref:655459)   #6
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I doubt that Tony George is going to run his series on a road course...

The whole point is Oval Racing and getting back to his version of what Champ cars should be all about....

I doubt this one...
Just like the whole point was to get American oval track drivers in cars that were inexpensive to run with engines that were inexpensive to buy.

According to XTrac who make the IndyCar gearboxes, the IRL specified that the new box have the option of fitting a reverse gear, and the spool be easily replaceable with a differential.

Basically the means you can expect to see IRL cars on a roadcourse before the current chasis regulations are up.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 04:10 (Ref:655473)   #7
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
evo,

Roger Penske made some of the same comments about cost of having road racing specific chassis should the IRL add such. But his comments added further that IRL may have to add road courses.

This is similar to what I have been told by some IRL people. There is an ongoing debate inside the IRL about whether and when to add a few road races. There is great concern that the product will be diluted by adding a couple of road races. But on the other side is the huge success NASCAR has had, coupled with the advantage of adding at least one major market (Northern California) to the schedule. There is also the factor that at least half the OW fans are road racing fans. Adding a chunk of them would do wonders for the TV ratings and sponsor value of the IRL.

It is a difficult issue. Most likely, unless CART folds by this winter, IRL will not add any road races in 2004 or 2005. No decision is likely anytime soon.

BTW, it is rumored IRL really did test on the Speedway's F1 circuit. No doubt to evaluate the feasibility of road racing. But I seriously doubt there is any truth in the Mid-Ohio rumor. That could just be the promoter trying to put some pressure on Chris Pook and CART to keep Mid-Ohio on the schedule next year.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 04:51 (Ref:655482)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course, we know that the Russian press is the authoritative source for information on North American motorsport.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 13:51 (Ref:655845)   #9
shurikus
Rookie

shurikus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee Janotta
good point
and I sat down in Gasoline Alley and I cried
Old 8 Jul 2003, 14:11 (Ref:655870)   #10
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be surprised if the IRL doesn't go to a road course or two in the future. But I do see it being some time in the future, I think, for example, if it was going to be 2004 then something would have been announced long since.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 19:41 (Ref:656165)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a note, evo....

When IRl first started their engine progrm formula, they mandated that the cost would not go up more than 3% per year...

The price of an IRL engine via licensing back in 1997 was $90,000, and 6 seasons later it is about $110,000...just as they set out to do...

Now the chassis cost is another matter...at $390,000 each with the new regs for this year...that is steep for a low budget team...but if the plan stays true to IRL history, teams will be able to get used chassis next year with cheaper upgrade packages and you will see the smaller teams that couldn't run this year due to cost coming back to the Series next season...

I did not agree with the "new Chassis" package for this year, because they were just beginning to build momentum last year with teams in place and CART teams coming over for this year...

But they also had to keep G-Force and Dallara interested...they would rather sell new cars at $390,000 each to all teams than continue selling some, but mostly selling cheaper upgrade packages....

Pesonally, I don't see Tony going to road courses unless CART goes away....otherwise, the only difference between the two would be the acronyms that make up their names...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Jul 2003, 03:28 (Ref:661368)   #12
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone brought one of Sarah Fisher's older cars to the vintage weekend at The Glen last month. It was probably running at 7/10's to 8/10's with no problem. Surprised to see it on a road course.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 07:25 (Ref:662538)   #13
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget that Mid-Ohio is only minutes away from from the Honda Mfg.of America plants in Ohio.