Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Sep 2003, 09:19 (Ref:733786)   #1
Snapshot619
Rookie

Snapshot619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Series Format Adjustment

I don't know how well this will go over, but I have been harboring a desire to see a slight modification to the current CART format. I'm not much of an oval fan. I can handle it, but I much prefer the dueling that takes place on a road or street course. Maybe it's just me, but racing on the ovals starts to bore me after about an hour. It certainly has it's own unique stradegies, of course, but even the Indy 500 is so so with me. But again, it's just me.

Since it looks like we are going to have to live with two series's (w/IRL), no need to compete in their domain. Let the IRL turn left. Loose the ovals, and add more road or street courses. But of course, everything is in flux with CART, right now.

Long Live Long Beach
Snap
Old 29 Sep 2003, 13:55 (Ref:734104)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Snapshot;

This subject/idea has been discussed here so many times you can't beleive. I think that based on what is being said in the threads about the schedule, most people want to see the 3 discipline diversity.

It's time we move on from the "rival series" mentality and just run the best open wheel series. Roads, Streets and Ovals. It's a formula proven to work.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 02:47 (Ref:734782)   #3
Snapshot619
Rookie

Thanks you for the kind welcome.

I guess I have to admit that there is nothing that the ovals do to ruin or diminish the series as a whole. As I stated, it's just a quirk of mine. I have worked Long Beach since the F1 days, and I have worked Fontana twice. Something that is true about the ovals is that they are more likely to give a spectator a better view. And, that might be good for overall viewership.

IO'll be sure to go through and read aas many of the posts here, that I can. Do somemore research to get up to speed. And...I shouldn't have to explain my need for speed.

Snapsot619

Long Live Long Beach
Old 30 Sep 2003, 19:00 (Ref:735701)   #4
varsitypride3
Rookie

varsitypride3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's something about knowing CART drivers can do it all... and in most cases, better than those who specialize in it. CART has always had amazing talent, and I just love knowing that this week when I turn in, I might just see the cars I love turning left at 200mph plus, and maybe next week, Ill see them negotiating the hairpin at 40mph in Montreal... it's variety that's kept me, not just turning left. It's variety that's kept it fresh... and it's variety that's created the popularity of cart, imo.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 20:01 (Ref:735777)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good post, varsity. Exactly the way I feel. I love supertracks, I love busy bullrings, but I also love downshifting and braking!
Old 30 Sep 2003, 20:10 (Ref:735789)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well said, varsitypride3! While I prefer the road courses, I'm still a BIG fan of some of the oval tracks.....especially Fontana, Milwaulkee and hopefully Las Vegas Motor-Speedway. Could you imagine three 500 mile races(Lausitz/Fontana/LVMS)!? If I could, I would switch Lausitz with Michigan...I really miss that big oval.

CART = Diversity!

Road Courses:
Road America
Montreal
Laguna Seca
Mid-Ohio
Portland

Street/Airport Courses:
Long Beach
Surfer's Paradise
Toronto
Vancouver
St. Pete (the start/finish straight is part of the airport)
Cleveland

Oval Courses:
Fontana
Milwaukee
Lausitz
LVMS?

CART IS:

(1)Great tracks!
(2)Fantastic drivers!
(3)Very fast, competitive and beautiful looking/sounding race cars!!!
(4)Very passionate and loyal fans!!
Old 30 Sep 2003, 20:39 (Ref:735841)   #7
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with all you guys, why do you think I keep coming back to work them.

Welcome Snapshot, hope to see you at Fontana. Do I take it from your comments that you are a marshal, or worked events in some other capacity?

From the course observers viewpoint working a superspeedway has the same sort of adrenalin rush as flagging an endurance sports car race, utter concentration, and knowing you have only fractions of a second to get it right.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 20:47 (Ref:735853)   #8
Snapshot619
Rookie

Actually, I work security. Work for Race Management...volunteer. (Pit Lane, Garage). I do a lot of trackside security when the cars are on the track. Been doing it long time. Had the privelage of getting to know a lot of the CART staff and Teams members, in addition to Broadcast crew. (Really miss ABC)
Old 30 Sep 2003, 20:56 (Ref:735870)   #9
Snapshot619
Rookie

BTW Gypsy...I was there trackside at Fontana (my last time at Fontana) when Moore died. Watched it happen like up close and personal. I never knew Greg Moore well, but I knew the Player mechanics. At Long Beach that year, I was invited to their Saturday night dinner. Absolutely broke my heart.