Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Apr 2004, 13:25 (Ref:938287)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Rev counter/ tachometer

I fitted the std smiths rev counter to my car . . . .and it was all over the place . . . .I found a cheap but new autometer gauge and fitted that . . . .its not much better, before I go and shell out £150 on an elliot one . . . .does anyone know why they go haywire . . .its fine when you start up, but goes nuts after a few minutes. . . .its wired up right, to the neg side of the coil as it says on the instructions, and has a power supply from the voltage stabiliser behind the dash, nd a good earth . . . .any ideas ?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 14:47 (Ref:938386)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had a problem once resulting from a light switch connection. Every time the headlights came on my rev counter went to zero. But then again the engine stopped too so I guess it can't be that.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 14:48 (Ref:938389)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ha ha . . . .if the alternator overpowers the engine then I'd suggest a bit of fine tuning
Old 13 Apr 2004, 14:52 (Ref:938395)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Have you tried connecting the power feed to somewhere that is not supplied by the voltage stabiliser?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 15:29 (Ref:938442)   #5
graham blackwell
Rookie

graham blackwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the feed wire from the coil screened? Do you have a supressor on the system? Could be stray RF that's creeping in. Have you tried routing the +12V wire away from other cables?
Old 14 Apr 2004, 07:28 (Ref:939105)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Check the voltage at the supply! Have you taken a feed from the instrument voltage stabiliser? From (distant!) memory of MK1s the instruments use a lower voltage (9?) to ensure correct readings whatever the state of the charging system.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 08:06 (Ref:939122)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
good point Dave, I could try it straight from the ignition circuit, and the main feed from the coil isnt screened, I cloud try that . . .I'll have a play before parting with more cash !
Old 14 Apr 2004, 12:58 (Ref:939413)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We had similar trouble with an Autometer tach on the race boat and a better ground connection solved it.
Never forget #99
Old 14 Apr 2004, 13:24 (Ref:939436)   #9
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Also make sure that you are not getting any stray pulses into the tacho signal, try and get hold of a graphing multimeter that can display the trace from the coil to ensure that under load you are not getting any extra feedback. Will also help you detect any misfiring/earth issues with the ignition system.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 15:24 (Ref:939527)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
thanks guys . ..I'll go fettling the wiring and see how it goes
Old 17 Apr 2004, 09:12 (Ref:942397)   #11
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know about the Lucas smoke box theory?

Perhaps someone has a copy they can post here?

Steve McQueen.
Old 17 Apr 2004, 16:18 (Ref:942673)   #12
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.powroll.com/tech_smoke_th...ic_circuit.htm
Old 19 Apr 2004, 15:15 (Ref:944261)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
quality . . .that explains it all.

I'd hazard a guess that article comes free with evert TVR ?
Old 19 Apr 2004, 15:53 (Ref:944301)   #14
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
quality . . .that explains it all.

I'd hazard a guess that article comes free with evert TVR ?
Probably, but it was my Alfa dealer that gave me the link!
Old 20 Apr 2004, 10:48 (Ref:945262)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
ha ha . . .another manufacturer noted for its quality electrical hardware !

I was wondering (after last nights rolling road session) whether the fact that I have to run on points, and they bounce over 5500 or so and or dont close properly, has anything to do with it being erratic ?
Old 20 Apr 2004, 11:01 (Ref:945279)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I was wondering (after last nights rolling road session) whether the fact that I have to run on points, and they bounce over 5500 or so and or dont close properly, has anything to do with it being erratic ?
That would explain it - the tacho is reading ignition pulses, so if the points are bouncing, the direct relationship between ignition pulses & engine RPM is lost. The tweak used to be to fit six-cylinder points - physically identical but with a stronger spring.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 09:17 (Ref:946438)   #17
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do you think the points are bouncing at 5500? FF1600s easily rev to 6800 with standard one piece points.
I have had a life long war, first with mechanical rev counters and then with electronic ones...which I seem to have sorted with an SPA shiftlight/rev counter..although thinking on the first one I had of those.. gave up!!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 11:21 (Ref:946544)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
well I dont notice them bouncing but the guy with the rolling road said they always do . . . .and the strobe gun showed varying RPM once over 5000 . . . . . V6 points as in Essex ones Dave ? I'll try that, could be a cheap fix, I know the FiA Lotus Cortinas rev to 8k and on points . . . .although theyre as good as dead after a few hours apparently
Old 21 Apr 2004, 16:26 (Ref:946847)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
V6 points as in Essex ones Dave ?
Probably.......although nowadays it's possible that nobody makes two different springs.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 08:31 (Ref:947598)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I have a set of twin cam points and the spring is noticably stronger . . .I will investigate more . . .I know 'heavy duty' ones are available from certain outlets, but knocking on £20 for a set of points is what I'd call expensive, me being me will find an economic way of doing it if at all possible!
Old 22 Apr 2004, 10:30 (Ref:947684)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
but knocking on £20 for a set of points is what I'd call expensive, me being me will find an economic way of doing it if at all possible!
Try a big rubber band!
Old 22 Apr 2004, 10:41 (Ref:947691)   #22
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be very surprised if the Points manufacturer actually made the springs they fitted, for me it seems more likely they out sourced them.
If anyone has the dimensions of the spring. i.e overall length wire diameter and closed coil lengths, then check Lee Springs www.Leespring.co.uk they make all maner of springs with varying spring rates. You may find one more suited to you needs....

Steve McQueen
Old 22 Apr 2004, 10:59 (Ref:947705)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Revracing
If anyone has the dimensions of the spring. i.e overall length wire diameter and closed coil lengths, then check Lee Springs www.Leespring.co.uk they make all maner of springs with varying spring rates. You may find one more suited to you needs....
Points don't use coil springs!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 22 Apr 2004 at 11:00.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 12:19 (Ref:947788)   #24
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is not a problem! Lee spring manufacture torsion springs aswell..

Steve McQueen
Old 22 Apr 2004, 15:18 (Ref:947975)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
maybe I'll just break the rules and use lumenition

I have some 350lb strut springs but they wont fit inside the distributor cap

I wondered about trashing an old set and using 2 springs together ?