Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2001, 23:46 (Ref:85553)   #1
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't F1 suppose to be the "best of the best of the best"? I'm having trouble following the reasons for disliking traction control. Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% FOR it either, but I am definitly not against it.
I do agree that TC does take away from driver skill, but let's look at other parts of an F1 car. How about the wings? Take those off and see how much driver skill is REALLY needed. Wet tires make it easier to drive in the rain. How about paddles on the steering wheel? Cockpit displays, rev limiter, marks in the pits for perfect placement of the car, etc? What about turbos of the past?What happened to the clutch pedal?
I know some of these are silly or just plain obvious but don't they all help contribute with the performance of the car to make it the ULTIMATE race machine. Who knows, maybe TC won't even be around long- except for maybe starts. Look at ABS brakes, power steering, or even the Tyrell 6- wheeler. OK, maybe that's not the same, but it did look cool.
All I'm saying is that we should at least give it a try. (Sounds like my mom trying to make me eat peas when I was a kid.) I don't think it will take anything long-lasting away from the sport. If anything, all the teams will be raised to a new level, within reason.

Sorry to make ANOTHER post about this topic, I know we have a lot, but I wasn't sure where to put this. Besides all the others seemed like anti-TC.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 00:12 (Ref:85566)   #2
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Riusnow
I think most are put off by TC because they're more interested in the seeing the best drivers display their skills.On the other hand an awfull lot of us are interested in the tech of these machines.there's alot of mixed feelings-which no doubt explains the # of posts on this subject.Hey did anyone see the article in F1 mag about ferrari's 'legal' TC.What idiocy was that?!! They were trying to say that ferrai had full traction control for the split second between gearshifts.As if that would make a difference!They completely missed the fact that this split second of legal time at each shift would make an excelent reference measuring point for the 'engine mapping'TC they have allready.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 00:14 (Ref:85567)   #3
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome

I thought I was the only member of the forum in favor of TC! I'm happy that ruisnow is stepping up to defend the rule changes. Good luck.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 00:20 (Ref:85569)   #4
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if I'd say stepping up. More like peeking around the bushes.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 08:39 (Ref:86158)   #5
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
u say its the best of the best. well its the best in speed and in $$. not in overtaking. thats what i hate nowdays in f1. i seem to enjoy carting more when i wanna see overtaking manoeuvres.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 08:39 (Ref:86159)   #6
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
u say its the best of the best. well its the best in speed and in $$. not in overtaking. thats what i hate nowdays in f1. i seem to enjoy carting more when i wanna see overtaking manoeuvres. And TC wont help in overtaking either.