Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:30 (Ref:674109)   #1
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber to Williams???

I was just watching Foxsports update on cable in Australia where they said that Mark Webber will be switching to Williams at the end of the season to replace Montoya who is going to McLaren. This is the 1st I've heard of this and I know there have been rumors of Montoya leaving Williams early but I haven't heard Webber's name mentioned before. They seemed pretty sure it was going to happen and that Williams will pay out Webbers contract at Jag. I'm still very sceptical about it all but in F1 who knows. If it does come true it will be great. Any comments??
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:33 (Ref:674113)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well there were a few articles I glanced at yesterday in connection with JPM and Macaroon. Webber's name came up in one of them but I don't recall which one.

As to the truth of the stories? I wouldn't know.

Good for Mark but what about Jaguar?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 29 Jul 2003 at 10:34.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:37 (Ref:674118)   #3
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is going to be a Very Silly Season me thinks this year. Next headline will be Yoong to Ferrari..
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:39 (Ref:674122)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my years of watching F1 i have learnt that contracts mean nought so Webber hopping across to Williams wouldn't suprise me although i don't know how ready Jaguar would be to let him go as they have built their team around him. I certainly would like to see it happen & if it does i'm confident Mark Webber will be 2004 WDC.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:54 (Ref:674133)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't know about the truth of the rumours, but I have of6ten thought that Webber would be an ideal Williams driver; straight-talking, no-nonsense, hard-working... bit like someone called Alan Jones.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:56 (Ref:674139)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting...Maybe DC would get the Jaguar drive as a consolation prize?
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:58 (Ref:674140)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This really is a stretch.

A fantasy maybe, especially coming from the Australian media. IF true (and thats the biggest IF I could find), good news for Mark, good news for Montoya, Good news for Wilson. Bad news for Jaguar, Ralf and Coultard.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:23 (Ref:674176)   #8
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well in my opinion Webber could not be faster than Montoya and could not be harder working than Ralf. I don't think that Webber coming to Williams would be bad news for Ralf. Every time Ralf gets a new teammate people worry about him and he always matches up well against them. I don't think Webber would be different. One think is for sure, Webber is a better team motivator than Ralf, but Ralf is naturally faster.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:34 (Ref:674183)   #9
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see that, although I think he'd be outclassed by either RS or JPM.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:36 (Ref:674186)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We'll all get our pants in whirl and yet when the dust settles, the line-up will be much as it is now for 2004.

But supposing the rumours prove true on all fronts:

Ferrari
Schumacher
Massa

Mclaren
Raikkonen
Montoya

Williams
Ralf
Webber

Renault
Villeneuve
Alonso

Jaguar
Wilson
Coulthard

TOYOTA
DaMatta
Panis

Jordan(Mercedes)
Heidfeld
Wurz

Sauber
Barrichello
Fisichella

BAR
Sato
Button

Minardi
Verstappen
?

However, I'll bet that Jaguar try desperately to hang onto Webber as they really need continuity-something saddly lacking till now.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:55 (Ref:674207)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams has a strong history of not spending too much money on drivers, preferring to put more $$$ into the cars. If Juan Pablo is asking for a big increase in cash, there is every chance Frank would say thanks, but no thanks. Same goes for Ralf.

But if this is the reason, I would find it highly unlikely that Williams would go for a driver where they would have to pay him out. Maybe they would simply buy his contract.

All I know is Williams are flabbergasted with what Webber has done to Pizzonia this year.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:57 (Ref:674210)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll see it when I believe it. This is the first time I've heard of this and frankly I don't think Jaguar will be giving up their golden boy without one hell of a fight... or a large compensation!
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:58 (Ref:674212)   #13
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
All I know is Williams are flabbergasted with what Webber has done to Pizzonia this year.
Good point. Webber did blow Pizza into the weeds. Frank may have sat up and taken notice. If JPM is going then Mark just may be on hiw way to Williams. I always believed Jaguar signed him long term to sell him.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:30 (Ref:674231)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Williams has a strong history of not spending too much money on drivers, preferring to put more $$$ into the cars. If Juan Pablo is asking for a big increase in cash, there is every chance Frank would say thanks, but no thanks. Same goes for Ralf.

But if this is the reason, I would find it highly unlikely that Williams would go for a driver where they would have to pay him out. Maybe they would simply buy his contract.

Yes, you're right, BUT don't forget that Frank Williams said many times that he regreted losing Senna when he could keep him, and he wouldn't make that mistake again. I guess that's what he sees in JPM.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:34 (Ref:674236)   #15
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Here is the Article on FoxSports..

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23210,00.html
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:45 (Ref:674252)   #16
ringo
Racer

ringo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EERO
[B]We'll all get our pants in whirl and yet when the dust settles, the line-up will be much as it is now for 2004.

But supposing the rumours prove true on all fronts:

Ferrari
Schumacher
Massa

Massa in 2004 Ferrari will NEVER happen, not even a chance.......

having said that, it is a possibility
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:46 (Ref:674255)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well as it is now fact that Montoya is going to Williams this is the only logical conclusion to be drawn. Who to Jaguar then to replace that. I think ITV (if you want to know less about F1) will start that one. It'll be Rubens, definetly. Then Kimi to Ferrari, leaving the way for Villeneuve to McLaren. DC will then move to Jordan after Fisi has filled Jacques place at BAR. After all this has settled down and the ten-tenths server has exploded, Michael will decide to retire and his place will be filled by Yoong (but then 903cc was already there with that).

FACT.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:48 (Ref:674259)   #18
ringo
Racer

ringo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Yes, you're right, BUT don't forget that Frank Williams said many times that he regreted losing Senna when he could keep him, and he wouldn't make that mistake again. I guess that's what he sees in JPM.
i don't recall Frank Williams ever losing senna...
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:50 (Ref:674264)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Senna first F1 drive was for Williams at Donington in 1983.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 13:04 (Ref:674281)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

After all this "JPM switch" is just rumour, which bring new rumours towards a possible vacant seat and the new sensation. We have seen so many like these in the past, that only an "official press release" from the teams can be considered as truth.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 13:15 (Ref:674289)   #21
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
webber has already signed with jag till 2005?! hasn't he! and hes already openly said he wouldn't leave there because of all the work he has put in - he isn't willing to see anyone else benefit from it!

this rumour just isn't even likely to happen yet!
Old 29 Jul 2003, 13:17 (Ref:674294)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
One of the articles uses the old "Contracts are worth nothing in F1" line. So you see they can write what they like - it might come true.

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Jul 2003 at 13:23.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 13:30 (Ref:674305)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would certainly be attractive for mark to have a shot at Williams, but he recently signed for Jag, and I don't think they will let him go.
Moreover Jag is not a privateer always searching for new funds, so it's not imaginable that FW offer them money to breach the contract.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 13:37 (Ref:674311)   #24
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are people keep forgetting about Toyota?
I dont think either driver will be there at Melbourne in 2004. Just remember who has the most cash......(hint: its not ferrari).
Old 29 Jul 2003, 13:42 (Ref:674316)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Well, this is more like to be the truth...

McLaren has no comments on Montoya link

Quote:

'There is a lot of speculation about drivers in Formula One and we are not in the business of commenting on it.'

The speaker is McLaren's managing director Martin Whitmarsh who adds that when 'or if' there's anything to say, 'we'll say it then.'
and this...

Quote:

Nick Heidfeld tested with the team in the late-Nineties and remains under long-term contract to both McLaren and engine partner Mercedes. 'I can't tell you much,' said the 27-year-old, 'but my contract runs out this year and we're speaking to several teams.'

Heidfeld cautiously notes that 'I'm still under contract' to Ron Dennis' ranks.