Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2003, 04:19 (Ref:681735)   #1
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber to Williams

In yesterdays Aussie version of MN, on page 4 they state there's a chance we could see Webber in a Williams next year if Monty moves to McLaren.It also states that DC would go to Jag. Apparently DC has had a month extension added to his contract negotiation, which should have been sorted by the German GP. While I'd rather see Monty stay in the Willy and they moved Ralf to McLaren to make way for Mark, if this is the only way we'll see Webber in a Willy for 04, I'll help Monty pack his bags.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 05:24 (Ref:681752)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dunno , I think the williams team is very good at the moment , I would love to see it though , webber would be excellent in a williams.

maybe in 05 something like this will happen but for 04 I think that webber will be at Jag and williams will be the same and DC well he could be anywhere ????
Old 7 Aug 2003, 06:02 (Ref:681758)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This news is something like more than a week old and started with a rumour in F1-Live. I wouldn't pay any attention to it. Chances of JPM moving on will probably hinge on a decision by SchM to retire, and there is not much chance of that at the moment. Ron Dennis also cofirmed an interst in JPM, but I cannot see why JPM would want to move fromWilliams when they are so strong right now, and the MP4-18 seems like the Spruce Goose.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 07:34 (Ref:681779)   #4
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference in pay could be a motivating factor.

Apparently Frank is very impressed with the way Webber made a meal of the Pizza Boy this year and with Frank's history when it comes to negotiating a payrise, maybe this isn't so far fetched.
If Monty stays at Willy, I'll still be happy though.I like Monty and want to see him win a WDC. As I said earlier, Webber replacing Ralf would be even better.Not for any other reason than my 2 fav drivers this year would both be in the next best thing to a Ferrari.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 07:50 (Ref:681795)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I think that the thought of JPM winning races for another team might make Frank dig deeper into his bank account when negotiating with JPM next year. I cannot see JPM wanting to stay with Williams at a lessor salary than Ralf. BUT, can Frank afford two expensive drivers? Will BMW come into the picture during salary negotiations? I mean, for all the criticism we have heaped on Ralf, the guy has proved that he is not a dud driver.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 08:16 (Ref:681806)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if JPM wins this year, it certainly won't be the first time that a Williams WDC hasn't hung around... that said, I wouldn't expect that there is alot of truth behind this rumour, although it would be fanastic to see it happen... Montoya/Kimi would be excellent at Mclaren (my favourite team), Webber at Williams would be great as an Aussie, and as a DC fan, I'd like to see him at a more relaxed environment. Fingers crossed.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 08:49 (Ref:681828)   #7
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't like the idea myself
Old 7 Aug 2003, 09:09 (Ref:681839)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Common guys, JPM is contracted to Williams for next year, the MP4-18 is a dud, and the only relaxed environment for DC is aboard Eddie Irvine's yacht. Also, I seem to remember Mark Webber being contracted to Jaguar for a number of years. I really cannot see Frank giving up a chance for another double championship by letting Ron Dennis have his ace driver. I don't know what the heck those guys have done to the Williams, but suddenly they have relegated SchM and his Ferrari from easy winners to also rans, so why would JPM want to leave Williams? Once they get a WDC, their endorsement rights alone will bring in millions - and the chance of a second WDC next year if JPM wins it this year?
Old 7 Aug 2003, 09:10 (Ref:681840)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The way JPM is going i doubt Williams will want to replace him and that too sending him to Mclaren who are one of the main title rivals .Ralf needs to get some could results in the final races and or he maybe on his way out .
Old 7 Aug 2003, 09:16 (Ref:681843)   #10
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
I don't like the idea myself
Old 7 Aug 2003, 09:39 (Ref:681861)   #11
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf will not leave Williams, because he is Mario Theisen's (BMW's) favorite driver and they want him there. It is plain a simple. They want a German driver, they would love to see TGF there but only the light version is available. Ralf is very popular in Germany, nearly as popular as his brother. Heidfeld was always a Merc driver, so he would not be a good choice. That only leaves HHF and Ralf, HHF is too old. End of the story, Ralf is probably safer at Williams than Patric Head :-).
Cheers,
Old 7 Aug 2003, 10:02 (Ref:681869)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think there's much chance of: a) Webber going to Williams and b) JPM leaving Williams anytime soon.

Despite what the press like to hype up, JPM is Franky's Golden Boy and I think Ralf would be first to pack his bags before JPM. Williams is not known to take on drivers just because a manufacturer tells them to - remember that's how they lost Honda engines after 1987.

I also think it will take a lot to get Webber out of his Jaguar contract at the moment.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 10:36 (Ref:681893)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I love Silly Season!

I really don't think that Sir Frank is going to let either Schumi Lite or JPM go away. No offense to Mark Webber, but I think it would take more than simply making your team mate look bad to get Sir Frank to sign you up.

I would hardly think that racing at Jaguar is more "relaxed." The pressure to prove Ford's investment is worthwhile must be enormous as Ford really don't have the history of participation long-term to much other than (ugh) NASCAR. Even that has had limited factory support at times.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 10:37 (Ref:681894)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Wait a minute!! I seem to recall that Frank hired Ralf so that he could get BMW power. Anybody else remember this?
Old 7 Aug 2003, 10:51 (Ref:681904)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf is staying at Williams for now, no doubt about it, his improved form this year has done enough.

As for Montoya, who knows? I can see him staying at Williams for 2004, and thus Webber sataying at Jag, with someone else (amybe not DC - although Germany was a good drive at the right time, he'd've only got another mediocre 5th if it weren't for the first-lap crash)

ITV report that Montoya is keen on joining Toyotqa for 2005, as they have such budget to put into the team and can surely win soon. I'd hate to see that, as I'd rather see hm at a team with some heritage, hoensty and soul.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 11:21 (Ref:681925)   #16
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People comment on Frank being happy to axe world champion drivers. Well here's one for you, despite the numerous WDC Williams have won, when was the last time a Williams car carried the No.1?

I'll give you a clue.... a very long time ago!!

I dont see JPM leaving Williams yet, he's under contact for next year and has stated numerous times that he's not in F1 for money, he's here because he loves it!
Old 7 Aug 2003, 12:09 (Ref:681962)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Williams last carried no.1 in 1998 with Villeneuve. After the last time they won the title.

Before that I presume 1983 with Keke.

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Aug 2003 at 12:10.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 12:13 (Ref:681966)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm absolutely sure the 2004 Williams line-up will be the same as it is now.

Whether Montoya moves to McLaren at the end of his contract will depend on many things. If he does, and Webber continues his good work thru 2004, then Webber in a Williams for the start of 2005 is surely an option for Frank to consider. But not before then.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 12:15 (Ref:681969)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Jones
The difference in pay could be a motivating factor.
While I am not saying that it doesn't make a difference to him, I don't think that Montoya is motivated mainly by money.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 12:20 (Ref:681976)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure that if Montoya knew that the 2005 McLaren was going to give him a much better chance of WDC than the Williams (or the other way round) then that would be his chief motivating factor.

But, assuming they're still pretty close in 2004, it's impossible to predict that. In which case, money - and/or contracted no. 1 status - would come into it.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 12:31 (Ref:681984)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Again this rumour. I don't think Sir Williams would lose a driver like JPM, just for money. Like JPM said, after 2004 he is a "free agent", but that doesn't mean he will discard Williams as an option.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 12:33 (Ref:681986)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks (according to the news anyway) likeMcLaren are just about to confirm DC & Kimi for 2004 - so I guess that spoils the fun. Kimi has beome such a favourite for Ron that I can't see him hiring a driver hungry and talented enough to take the championship away from the chosen one.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 13:19 (Ref:682006)   #23
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Webber going to McLaren and Coulthard to Jaguar?
Old 7 Aug 2003, 13:40 (Ref:682012)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
This year's silly season is odd. Rumours are coming out without any consideration for the evidence. OK a lot of the times there is little evidence, but so easily does 2005 become 2004, current contract are dismissed with the contracts mean nothing line and the most likely outcome is ignored for the story (although you get two stories - one with the comedy rumour and another pointing out how unlikely it is). How does this rumour start? Does someone just think of something that would be exciting and say it near someone from ITV (or whoever).
Old 7 Aug 2003, 13:42 (Ref:682014)   #25
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Maybe all the tabloids have shuffled their football hacks around to motorsport...

If the F1 rumour mill grinds to a halt when the footy season starts, we'll know...