The Speed world challenge 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Sep 2003, 15:17 (Ref:704855)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would you have done and why? Fisi to Sauber

In this article Fissi says he could have gone to BAR or even Jag. He chose Sauber. I personally dont know if this was the best idea. Both Jag and BAR are better funded teams. Unless he thinks it will open doors for him at Ferrari I think he may have just set himself up for another poor season.

Last edited by neilap; 1 Sep 2003 at 15:19.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 15:29 (Ref:704864)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If he still has hope of going to Ferrari then Sauber's the right choice.They have Ferrari connections and so he can show Ferrari fisrt hand how good he is
Old 1 Sep 2003, 15:35 (Ref:704866)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Plus that big fancy new wind tunnel that Sauber has will be the envy of the F1 world.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 15:49 (Ref:704874)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber's link with Ferrari is the only imaginable reason, unless the salary offered by other outfits was significantly lower...
Old 1 Sep 2003, 16:18 (Ref:704905)   #5
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect it's a combination of wanting to get a toe in Ferrari's door and being impressed by the new Sauber wind tunnel which is supposed to be canines clackersack. I can't help thinking though that the wind tunnel won't make a huge difference until 2005 and even then only if they have engineer's who can make the most of it.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 16:36 (Ref:704919)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"If he still has hope of going to Ferrari then Sauber's the right choice."

But there isn't. I honestly can't see why he's gone there, but... oh FISSY!! WHY do you ALWAYS move to the WRONG team at the WRONG SODDING TIME??!!! Jordan. Benetton. Jordan again. Always on the downswing. Hmmph.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 16:50 (Ref:704925)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The thing I worried about is that it was for two years (IIRC).
Old 1 Sep 2003, 16:53 (Ref:704928)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fisi is a great driver, but the only thing that'll work against him is that he is already 30 and will be 32 when he leaves Sauber,by that time Alonso and Webber (maybe Massa)
will be pushing for top drives and they are much younger and will probably get 1st preferance
Old 1 Sep 2003, 19:30 (Ref:705047)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon it's not a bad move. Why?

BAR have yet to prove they can produce a consistent car that works across a season, even with Geoff Willis they have struggled for a consistent performance. To me, none of the elements they have seem to come together at the same time, either the car is good and the engine not or vice versa.

Jaguar is to my mind, a team with an axe always hanging over it, but at different heights depending on the current mood. I get the underlying feeling that Ford are seeking an exit, as they are desperate to cut costs and more importantly (from the shareholders viewpoint) be seen to cut costs. The jury is still out on their ability to run two cars to the same level, plus Webber is firmly favoured.

Whereas Sauber are a dark horse, they are investing for the future whilst teams like BAR and Jordan have been scaling back. Their new wind tunnel is a clear signal that they intend to raise their game. Their partnership with Ferrari is strong, and by taking Massa (if they do sign him) they will reportedly receive more input from Ferrari.

Add to that the fact that Fizzi will be able to advertise his skills to Ferrari at a time when Schumachers contract will be coming to an end, looks like a good gamble in his favour.

At this point in his career he has nothing to lose and plenty to gain. IMO he's made the right choice - possibly for once!
Old 1 Sep 2003, 20:28 (Ref:705076)   #10
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that either Jaguar or BAR were options for Giancarlo. In that article he's quoted as saying "I had the possibility of negotiating with other teams, namely BAR and Jaguar". So he didn't have serious discussions with them. Think about it - Jaguar have Webber, plus a second seat for someone to bring in some cash (and I don't think Fisi is really in that category). BAR have Button, Jacques, Sato, Davidson and a bunch of other testers on the boil. There's no place for him at either of those teams, Sauber was the only real option.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 20:51 (Ref:705093)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If he'd've got a genuine offer from BAR, he'd've been mad to reject it, despite the new Suaber wind tunnel and Ferrari connections. The thing is, I doubt BAR have any idea who they want in the cars next year yet, only that Jenson will have one car.

Giancarlo trounced him once before, and will be expected to do so again. But, Jenson is Honda's golden boy for the sake of marketing, with his good looks, famous (infamous?) girlfriend and memorable name, and they don't want him udnermined as a racer, which Fisichella would surely do.

Sauber will be little more than a Ferrari Jr team, and Massa can only get preferntial treatment - also, don't be surprised if Rory Byrne buys time in the new tunnel if it's genuinely better than theirs. the most realistic offer.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 21:38 (Ref:705127)   #12
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar and Bar 2004

Giancarlo Fisichella may have signed with Sauber for the 2004 season, however, the Roman has revealed that BAR or Jaguar were also interested in securing his services

Given this statement by Fisichella who will get the spare seat at Jaguar and Bar and if it the Jaguar seat was offered to Giancarlo does this mean it's not a paid position as already reported:
Old 1 Sep 2003, 21:48 (Ref:705134)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a sideways step going to Sauber, he'll be fighting for 11th and 12th instead of 15th and 16th, big deal.

It's a shame really he couldn't have landed a seat at Toyota, that would have been a good fit. Maybe next year when Panis retires. But if he's not in a decent team with manufacturer support in 05, he never will be IMO...
Old 1 Sep 2003, 21:58 (Ref:705148)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Either Jag or BAR (IMO in that order) would be a better choice. Sauber will always be mid-field, while those teams have a shot at being closer to the front. Worst case scenerio with BAR or Jag he's fighting for 15th and best case for podiums. Best case with Sauber is 8th, while the worst case is perhaps slightly better.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 22:04 (Ref:705153)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
The thing I worried about is that it was for two years (IIRC).
If Ferrari is the reason that Fisi went to Sauber, the 2 year contract will not be a problem, after all, should Peter Sauber not want to release Fisi from his contract, then Ferrari won't provide Sauber with engines!

However, imo, Fisi is not in Ferrari's plans, Massa is, and what better way to guide Massa than to have Fisi as his team mate and mentor before putting the Brazilian in the Ferrari seat for 2005?
Old 1 Sep 2003, 22:26 (Ref:705168)   #16
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
If Ferrari is the reason that Fisi went to Sauber, the 2 year contract will not be a problem, after all, should Peter Sauber not want to release Fisi from his contract, then Ferrari won't provide Sauber with engines!

However, imo, Fisi is not in Ferrari's plans, Massa is, and what better way to guide Massa than to have Fisi as his team mate and mentor before putting the Brazilian in the Ferrari seat for 2005?
Mr V, either Fisi shows Ferrari how good he really is by thrashing their known quantity or Ferrari learn just how good Massa really is. I suspect Fisi went there under guidance from his manager, who don't forget used to manage Irvine.....at Ferrari and Jaguar. Although not confirmed I'd be amazed if Massa isn't at Sauber next year
Old 2 Sep 2003, 00:47 (Ref:705248)   #17
The Lounge King
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
The Lounge King should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi is prepared to put it on the line in a Sauber against Ferrari's new hope Massa (the force is strong in this one). The truth is, Ferrari maybe considering both of them for Ferrari seats once M Schueee retires.

Ferrari wont be expecting Massa to replace Scheee as the complete team leader. Schee joined Ferrari with 2 world title, Massa wont.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 01:46 (Ref:705289)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't get the Massa rumours with Ferrari. What has Massa proven? Does he seem like the caliber of guy to replace MS? As for Fisi he'll be pretty old in a couple of years, I don't think he'd be a choice either. Another factor is that the top teams have ignored him so far. Why would we assume they would decide in favour of him now?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 02:40 (Ref:705303)   #19
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm not wraped up in all the FISSI hype yeah his ok by F1 levels but far from great I think a Ferrari spot would be watsed on him as with massa . Ferrari should look else where for there F1 future . Saying that Fissi in a sauber in think is a dumb move on his part a car maker is the way this level of motorsport is going he should have gone to BAR
Old 2 Sep 2003, 09:36 (Ref:705465)   #20
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if he beats destroys Massa... well .. how knows .. maybe a seat at Ferrari could be possible....

Ciao Marco
Old 2 Sep 2003, 19:59 (Ref:706023)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
if he beats destroys Massa... well .. how knows .. maybe a seat at Ferrari could be possible....
And if he doesn't, his career could be over
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:20 (Ref:706045)   #22
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all pretty obvious.

Massa is in the learning stages, but will be on his way to Ferrari. Rubens is just there and Michael has a contract untill 2006. But, when closing this deal, both parties explicitly mentioned the opportunity to end this deal early. Ferrari claimed that they wouldn't wave the contract around when Schumacher decides to stop before 2006.

If Ferrari does indeed have hit the down-slope and Schumacher misses the 2003-title, I bet he will be retiring at the end of 2004 when championshipstitles are no longer a short term deal.

If that happens, and Ferrari obviously takes this situation into account, the Fisi will be there to step in. They'll need Fisi untill the end of 2006. By then, Massa will be reasonably experienced and ready to go at it.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 23:48 (Ref:706271)   #23
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given Bar's testing times at Monza and with Honda not prepared to run at the back of the field for much longer I unless Fisi has some agreement to go to Ferrari after Sauber he has made the wrong move only time will tell
Old 3 Sep 2003, 05:09 (Ref:706374)   #24
fastracer
Racer

United States
Irvine, California, USA
fastracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4. Jenson Button BAR-Honda 1m 22.613s 81 laps
7. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Sauber-Petronas 1m 22.651s

Huge gap between BAR and Sauber during the first day of testing....
And would you rather have Honda backing or have the same engine as Ferrari next year?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 21:20 (Ref:707500)   #25
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've no doubt that Fisi wants to drive for Ferrari; they are one of the top teams at the moment. Sauber makes sense as it is effectively the Ferrari B team. Peter Sauber has been offered Merc engines "on the cheap", but says he is not interested. With the new One Engine Per Weekend rule looking likely, it means that Sauber won't be able to run this years' Ferrari engine, so they will have to use the same spec that Ferrari will be using next year. The wind tunnel will help develop a more competetive car (if it doesn't, it will be a waste of money only rivalled by the spending habits of the British government!!). And of course, Fisi's manager is none other than... Irvines old manager: he must know the right people within Ferrari to be able to get Fisi a seat when one becomes available. I am looking forward to seeing how Fisi does next year; it's about time he had a go in a competetive car!