Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2002, 13:05 (Ref:245880)   #1
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari's performance without front wing??

While reading this weeks excellent AtlasF1 edition, I was struck by something in the GrapeVine...

Quote:
Even as their race team heads to Brazil, the Williams development team in Grove are paused from their normal work, to consider something unexpected from the Malaysian GP: the pace of Michael Schumacher on his way back to the pits, after losing his front wing.

I remember watching the race, and waiting for JPM to pass MS after their 1st corner incident, and was surprised by how long it took JPM to catch and pass MS....I was seriously impressed...then forgot about the incident...

Anyone else have any thoughts on just how much downforce Ferrari's chassis must produce, to run so well without a front wing?!
Old 28 Mar 2002, 13:11 (Ref:245885)   #2
Kid Prozac
Racer

Kid Prozac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought the same at the time. thinking back, by the time he got to the pits, he had only dropped back topropbably tenth position, think he was among the jordans. also it showed much of that lap from the air on the terrestrial feed, and again from what i can remeber the only real time he was getting overtaken was in the couple of fast sweepers. in the slower corners he seemeed to be able to keep up. normally a front wing produces a significant amount of downforce, think someone quoted 30% for a 95 tyrrell, so to drive like he did shows some excellent skill. you could also see that he was pushing on that lap so not too loose to much time, whereas most drivers kind of give up and tootle around getting out of everyones way. i think if i were williams or anyone else for that matter i'd be worried, cos if he can still beat the majority of them with no front wing, hahahahah!!!!
Old 28 Mar 2002, 14:50 (Ref:245928)   #3
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No surprise that he was doing ok in the slower corners-the wings aren't doing much at that speed anyway.The overall speed WAS pretty impressive though
Old 28 Mar 2002, 14:58 (Ref:245933)   #4
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At some point you would see many cars bahind Schumacher which clearly indicates he was holding the pack behind him. I think Villeneuve had something to say about it.

Nonetheless the Ferrari is really the best car in the field.
The question is, is it good enough for Schumacher to win the tittle? we will see.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 15:40 (Ref:245956)   #5
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nonetheless the Ferrari is really the best car in the field.
Really? You must have missed the Malaysian GP.

So that means Rubens is now driving the best car in the field?
Old 28 Mar 2002, 15:50 (Ref:245959)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
??

In terms of race reliability, Williams had a better record than the Ferrari.
In terms of power/speed, Williams is ahead of Ferrari.
In terms of handling/chassis, Williams is very close to Ferrari.
In terms of developement, Williams is using the 'newer' car, meaning more advanced...

So specifically, in what way is the Ferrari the best?
Old 28 Mar 2002, 19:12 (Ref:246076)   #7
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
??

In terms of race reliability, Williams had a better record than the Ferrari.
In terms of power/speed, Williams is ahead of Ferrari.
In terms of developement, Williams is using the 'newer' car, meaning more advanced...

I guess BBKing means that Ferrari has got the best drivers ...
Old 28 Mar 2002, 19:43 (Ref:246106)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ferrari looks good wiothout a front wing. I think the FIA should create a rule that say Ferrari HAVE to run without a front wing.

That would certainly make races more interesting
Old 28 Mar 2002, 19:54 (Ref:246117)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

You said it yourself!!
Old 28 Mar 2002, 20:25 (Ref:246139)   #10
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though the coverage in Malaysia was so crappy, I did see glimpses of Schumacher without his front wing. Mostly from a mile high shot. You could find him because through the fast corners he was really slow. Then a different shot showed him locking up the brakes approaching the corner. I was just impressed by the fact that he didnt cause an accident, mixing it up without a front wing.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 20:29 (Ref:246142)   #11
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its the sign of a class driver. of course if he was in the same situation of Luciano Burti, he would stand a chance but in that situation it would take a very good driver to push it that fast.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 28 Mar 2002, 20:29 (Ref:246143)   #12
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reliability? In Barrichello's car has been bad but in Schumacher's car is perfect.
The Suzuka special is still fast enough to beat this years car. I don't think it would have been an easy victory for Halfie if Schumacher would have not tried to win the race in the first corner.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 21:48 (Ref:246196)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Though surely the reason he was so quick back to the pits was he was just understeering those front tyres to shreds? - Just a guess...
Old 28 Mar 2002, 22:13 (Ref:246219)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he held it well. That said, it was pretty tough for people to overtake with the pack all around them. Would have been different at Indy for instance.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 02:05 (Ref:246370)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyway... i would just say that Michael could push a damaged car at a faster pace than most of the other drivers in similar conditions...another aspect of his advantage in skills and experience over others.

As for reliability record...it still amuses me besides pure coincidence, why would Ferrari make Rubens car less reliable? But that said, JPM's and Ralf's car reliability had been perfect too so far, and if this continues, coupled with the fact that their car is also faster and more powerful (thus allowing them to match others speed in the straight while running more wing), the Williams pair really need to win to show their worth.

And i'm quite interested to see how the new Ferrari fare in Brazil against the new Williams. I don't doubt the BMW would be a better engine...but i'm curious how the overall package would be like...