Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wirdheim claims he is close to landing CC seat

From speedtv.com:
Quote:
2003 FIA F3000 champion Bjorn Wirdheim has affirmed he is about to land a Champ Car seat for the upcoming season. Wirdheim, from Sweden, tested with the PKV Racing team before Kevin Kalkhoven’s squad managed to land Cristiano da Matta.
Quote:
“I am really close to a drive,” the 24-year-old claimed to Autosport-Atlas. “Unfortunately I'm not allowed to tell you about it at the moment, but I'm really excited about the drive and I'm looking forward to racing again.”
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1248826)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Here's hoping theres some truth behind it. Would be good to see him get a seat in a top series as he did win the F3000 title after all and deserved the Jag F1 seat more than Klien. I reckon given a top drive he could do as well as Bourdais.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1248832)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
“The car is very similar to my old 3000 car except a bit heavier, and after a year driving for Jaguar I don't think it will be a problem,” he feels. “I have spent most of winter doing fitness training, so I'm really ready and looking forward to going to America.
This is very good news. I remember Dov, when you set up that thread a few moths a go link now its finaly true!
Yet another promising driver in the series.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1248858)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
That sounds as close to confirmed as it can get, without actually being confirmed.

I don't imagine we'll be hearing many "confirmations" until the press-thing in Indianapolis later this month, though. Hopefully by then they'll present us with a whole slew of 'em.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1248877)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's half the field to be confirmed yet so I hope there's are a lot of announcements!
Wirdheim is one of the best drivers "out there", so he'd be a worthy addition.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1248907)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a nice surprise, I was really expecting Bjorn to be on the sidelines this year. he's got to be one of the best guys in contention for a ChampCar drive, and any team would be lucky to have him.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1249064)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very cool stuff. That would help make for a very talented field. From what we've heard before it didn't sound like he could bring much in the way of personal sponsorship (Obus?). The article suggests Forsythe as the only option, but I don't see why he couldn't end up at any of the other teams. Conquest, Walker and Coyne have shown that they be successful. Forsythe doesn't always manage his own team in the what to me seems to be the most intelligent manner, to me it would make more sense to have a pay driver and hire the proper engineering than to pay Bjorn even a nominal salary. Continueing on that tangent, CC testing tends to be more reflective of a team/driver's strength than in say F1. PKV and RuSport appear to be ahead of Forsythe.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1249351)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teams like Conquest would need major subsidies to run a driver who doesn't have much sponsorship, so I suspect GF is giving them a little longer to find their own drivers before signing anyone else up. Ideally we will see these smaller teams get at least one good driver each though - I share the feeling that 9 2-car teams is the best outcome (asuming Emmo doesn't get a team together)
Old 13 Mar 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1251031)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am just happy to see that Wirdheim is possibly going to be in the series. The guy is a big talent and a definite asset to the series.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Mar 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1251647)   #10
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Bjorn will be on the grid, he's certainly got the potential, although his name is just one of the balls being juggled by the Amigos right now.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1263376)   #11
Öbus
Rookie

Öbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wirdheim close to a deal with HVM. The team is supposed to sign him after Mario Domingeuz contract with Forsythe has been official.

Last edited by Öbus; 28 Mar 2005 at 09:22.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1263494)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where would that leave Dale Coyne? Cap in hand to the Amigos, I guess. Still, that would eb a good combinatiojn to fillt eh grid, as long as HVM can get someone else out there alongside him.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1263505)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting as this will bring some $$$$ to HVM through Wirdheim whilst keeping his backer pleased. Dominguez at Forsythe with Corona will keep all parties happy, most important of all happy Mexican fans. I would see Jos at the 2nd HVM seat then leaving the Coyne vehicles. Servia and then it would be down to Haberfield,Lavin,Bremer to finish the puzzle and we can put this to bed.

When is the ChampCar Season Launch at Indianapolis ??
Old 28 Mar 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1263538)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It may be that Coyne is only one car - as Jensen is coming in with a car which would give us 18.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1263574)   #15
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
It may be that Coyne is only one car - as Jensen is coming in with a car which would give us 18.
Quite possible with the second Coyne seat available to a ride buyer as needed on a race by race basis.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1265215)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've recently heard the proto-HVM rumour too but nothing confirmed as yet. I'd like to see him in CCWS but we'll have to make the start-finish line day-glo so he won't miss it. [sorry]

I'm going to a CCWS pressie today and perhaps will have information to report tonight.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1265321)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Hopefully things will come together for Bjorn - seemingly some European backers are buying into HVM, to ensure that he gets the ride, perhaps alongside Jos Verstappen.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1265325)   #18
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Hopefully things will come together for Bjorn - seemingly some European backers are buying into HVM, to ensure that he gets the ride, perhaps alongside Jos Verstappen.

That would be an interesting combo.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1265483)   #19
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to AR1 Wirdheim has signed for HVM and Dominguez has signed for Forsythe.

Bring on Long Beach!!