Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2000, 10:58 (Ref:42528)   #1
crash
Rookie

crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

Strange question this one, but which F1 drivers smoke? I think Schuey does, but who else.

Also, did you know that one of Mika Hakkinen's favourite singers in Michael Jackson? You wouldn't think it would you?
Old 12 Oct 2000, 11:09 (Ref:42533)   #2
crash
Rookie

crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGF!!

Damn, mistake in that last post of mine,

I forgot to call him TGF! I'm To used to calling him Schuey!

Old 12 Oct 2000, 12:46 (Ref:42564)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MS and MH have both been seen enjoying cigars together during downtime after a GP. I have no idea about the rest.
Old 12 Oct 2000, 13:28 (Ref:42569)   #4
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember that Ferarri were none-too-pleased last year when they had to tell the other MS, Mika Salo to stop smoking.

I should have thought that smoking was in direct opposition to all the fitness work they do...
Old 12 Oct 2000, 14:00 (Ref:42575)   #5
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is michael seriously a regular smoker? Or does he just have a cigar to celebrate those special moments? I would be suprised if it was the former.
Old 12 Oct 2000, 19:28 (Ref:42615)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't believe that TGF smokes. I think the cigars are just celebratory.

But in 1997 there was a picture of H-H (TOGF???) in F1 Racing with a cigarette in his hand. No doubt that now he's at Jordan, he smokes B & H...
Old 12 Oct 2000, 20:06 (Ref:42618)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't believe that ANY driver could possibly think to smoke. It is widely proved the damages and conciousness alteration that smoking brings. That could lead to lost of concentration and acuracy in the reflex. If the top category of motorsport allows such a thing, it is a shame for the whole motorsport comunity.
Old 12 Oct 2000, 20:21 (Ref:42622)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mhhhh....well those guys must stay fit so I find it hard to believe that they smoke....but then again.....tobacco companies invest so much money....and guys like schu must have seen the sign "marlboro" so many times that....who knows!
Old 12 Oct 2000, 22:56 (Ref:42652)   #9
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keke Rosberg smoked, sometimes even on the grid just before the start of a race, and he was a World Champion.
James Hunt smoked, he once asked me for a cigarette when he saw me light one up, and he was a World Champion.
Froilan Gonzalez, the Pampas Bull from Argentine was a smoker, even while racing.

I always found it a bit hypocritical when a team who's major sponsor is a tobacco company tells its drivers to stop smoking.
Although I'm aware of the dangers, ofcourse.

Old 12 Oct 2000, 23:25 (Ref:42660)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Alesi smokes, or he used to. I know Salo smokes like a furnace, but he's been told not to smoke in public. It is necessary to fake all kinds of things today. We all want, do we not, for our children to have hypocrites for role models? "Let's pretend we have no vices" is silly. If you smoke, you smoke.

P.S. TGF only smokes cigars. But apparently he smokes them quite frequently.
Old 12 Oct 2000, 23:44 (Ref:42663)   #11
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When smoking wasn't "that bad" as today is, Patrick Depailler usually had a cigarette in his hands.
Old 13 Oct 2000, 06:57 (Ref:42692)   #12
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan Magnussen smoked, much to the anger of Jackie Stewart.
Old 13 Oct 2000, 19:13 (Ref:42778)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I heard he liked his McDonalds and Burger King too...
Old 13 Oct 2000, 22:29 (Ref:42803)   #14
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think James Hunt was the last of the good ol boy's. Smoked, drunk and shall we say, mixed with girls. Eddie is propably the closest at the moment.

The image of Mike Hawthorn, Collins, Gonzalez et al smoking, drinking & flirting are I'm afraid are long gone

SL
Old 14 Oct 2000, 00:07 (Ref:42817)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, we're humans after all... Maybe I was too straight in my thoughts...
OR
like good old OZZY said... just something to REELLIIEEFF the pressure !!!