Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Dec 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1484900)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
EERC thanks Marshals:

I attach the following sent to the BMMC by James Tucker. It will appear in regional magazines etc but I thought you might like to get an early glimpse...

Thank You to the Marshals

The 2005 season saw the EERC go from strength to strength; our own racedays, with three discrete series, our first trip abroad, the continuation of winter night racing, and of course, the inaugural running of the Silverstone 24 hours. Like the rest of British motorsport, the smooth operation and safety of our meetings depends upon a dedicated band of enthusiastic volunteers, but the nature of the EERC meetings means that the endurance aspect applies to all involved, and the work of the marshals at our races is a credit to the marshalling fraternity. The Silverstone 24 hours, in early-September, saw storms of biblical proportions during Friday’s night qualifying session, with one unfortunate soul struck by lightning, with thankfully no injury.

The EERC runs a special kind of racing, and the marshals who officiate at our meetings are a special kind of people. To you, we offer or undying gratitude for your support, during our long races, through the thrill of a 24 hour race, or in the damp winter darkness. Whether you marshal at your local circuit, follow our series around, or even made the very pleasurable trip to Zolder with us, we extend our thanks to you.

The 2006 season promises to be even better, and you can be assured that the EERC will endeavour to consider the comfort of our marshals as a priority, and that our competitors will ensure close and clean racing, to give you a fulfilling day.

Again, many, many thanks, and I look forward to seeing you at as many races as you can attend in 2006.

Sportingly

James Tucker
Old 15 Dec 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1484914)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only Britcar race I did this year was the 24 Hours @ Silverstone, & on the basis of that alone I say;

More of the same please.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1485011)   #3
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
More of the same please.
Totally agree - EERC is welcome at Snett anytime - day or night, with any time variation of race length!!!

Thank you James for the comments.

Terry
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1485016)   #4
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
prehaps once the pitlane is finished at Pembrey, they'll be coming to visit us... Can't wait!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1485203)   #5
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are often posts in these forums from drivers who appreciate the efforts of the unpaid volunteers but it is nice to hear it from a series organiser too, one who clearly enjoys his motorsport.

Having done 4 EERC meetings this year I have enjoyed all of them, though that's not to say there weren't a few testing moments (beware of Greeks......).

Thanks EERC (James, John, Claire, Colin, Gary, Jimbo et al) - here's looking forward to 2006.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1485211)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice to hear from James T via Stephen.

From what I've read and heard this season, it would appear that this series has been good. Unfortunately the only round I attended was the one at Oulton which proved to be THE most pathetic race meeting I have ever attended - and it wasn't just me who thought so.

Is the EERC a more Southern-based series I wonder? It seems that at these other circuits visited by the EERC, the grids were of a good size, but at Oulton they were positively pitiful!

I'll give Oulton a miss next year but sincerely hope that the entries increase dramatically so that I will look at 2007 in a more postitive frame of mind.

Having worked with JT previously when the Britcars were on the JCC package at Pembrey I saw great enthusiasm and determination from him to make this series work.
On the whole, I would say that it IS working - just didn't happen in Cheshire in 2005.
Best of luck in 2006 JT
Old 16 Dec 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1485255)   #7
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid I too have to agree with Mark, my only experience also was at Oulton, the only interesting part of the day was watching the grass grow! trying to stay awake for 2½ hours with so few cars going round was almost impossible, sorry to say but based on that experience I too will be avoding Britcar in 2006.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1485265)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
May I suggest that for next year, assuming EERC come to Oulton, you look on their website beforehand to see what the grid sizes are like? Failing that, James Tucker would always be glad to let you know if you called the office number (on their website). At other circuits there have been some really good grids and exciting racing and it would be a shame to miss it if it were to happen at Oulton.

However, each to their own and you have to marshal what you enjoy.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1485291)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't made an EERC yet, although I'm hoping the 24hrs doesn't clash with anything next year. Kind words like those above make me look more favourably on a series though, and I know James has been quite active in this forum gleaning ideas from the marshals. Knowing that an organiser is at least trying to look after us means a lot.

IIRC, the Oulton round was just before the 24hrs and I believe that seriously affected the entry?
Old 16 Dec 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1485294)   #10
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Stephen Swallow
The only Britcar that i have done this year was the Brands Hatch post 3 meeting but last year i done Donington and Mallory. Great time, I will be there for the Britcar meeting at Donington next year.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1485296)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think you are right Woolley, that would explain it!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1485305)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I think you are right Woolley, that would explain it!

Possibly so, but checking their website at the time gave no indication that the grids would be so paltry (Obviously this would have put off speccies and marshals!) Several published entries simply didn't turn up!

I honestly fear that the 2006 round at OP will not attract enough marshals to safely allow the event to run.
Fortunately, as volunteers, we have the ability to choose where we want to offer our services and I personally will be more than happy to marshal at an EERC event or two in 2006 - just not at Oulton.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1485373)   #13
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Possibly so, but checking their website at the time gave no indication that the grids would be so paltry (Obviously this would have put off speccies and marshals!) Several published entries simply didn't turn up!

I honestly fear that the 2006 round at OP will not attract enough marshals to safely allow the event to run.
Fortunately, as volunteers, we have the ability to choose where we want to offer our services and I personally will be more than happy to marshal at an EERC event or two in 2006 - just not at Oulton.
I have a feeling that this issue maybe discussed at the Oulton Training Days in February.

Old 16 Dec 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1485404)   #14
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope so, because we weren't exactly brimming with marshals last year and i know unless the grid at least trebles in size, a lot of regulars won't be doing that round. Its obvious that JT is putting an immense effort in to Britcar, which should be commended. If the Oulton issue of participants is solved i'm sure it'll be just as enjoyable as all the other rounds were this year.

Having checked their site tho, apparently the dates this year were:

06-Aug-05 Oulton Island
08/11-Sep-05 Silverstone Inter

Can't remember if that is right, but if it is and the proximity of the 24hrs was cited as the main reason why most of the competitors didn't turn up, how long do they need? I personally was gutted that David Leslie's team didn't enter, as he seems really interested in the grass routes of motorsport and takes a keen interest in marshalling. Any driver that travels half the length of the country to attend a marshal's training day in Feb is obviously keen...

I would need some serious convincing to do the OP round again in 2006, but if it doesn't clash with other stuff i could be tempted to do the 24hrs @ 'stone, going on the reports from others on that event from this year.

Last edited by Hepatic; 16 Dec 2005 at 16:54. Reason: can't flaming type :D
Old 16 Dec 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1485405)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
I have a feeling that this issue maybe discussed at the Oulton Training Days in February.
Why? It's not a training issue......although maybe people attending the 'New Marshals' training day should also be required to attend the flag/observer's seminar with next year's EERC meeting in mind!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1485433)   #16
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I normally attend a couple of Britcar meetings each year but only did the 24 hours this year (missed Oulton round due to holiday and the Brands into the night due to lack of funds) but from what I can gather, a lot of the drivers were saving their cars for the first ever 24 hour race. If you were in their shoe's you would probably do the same.

The things that James Tucker and the EERC organised for the marshals at Siverstone were great (and Silverstone is not exactly one of my favourite circuits). We were given vouchers for a free breakfast each day and for an evening meal each day. T-shirts and sew on badges were also given out at sign on. The grids were massive and the Dutch supercar support races were worth the trip down South alone.

don't give up on a series just because of one disapointing meeting. Look at the reason why the grids were so low and you'll understand. For the Northern marshals try travellling a bit further afield to other circuits if you don't already do so.

If you want more info on marshalling at other circuits then attend the training session that the flying muppet and I are giving to new marshals at Oultons training day in February (or just speak to us in person and we can give you info on where to stay etc)

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1485507)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
don't give up on a series just because of one disapointing meeting. Look at the reason why the grids were so low and you'll understand. For the Northern marshals try travellling a bit further afield to other circuits if you don't already do so.
So if I understand the reason why the grid was so poor it makes it all better does it, whilst I'm stood flagging and observing for 2hr+ races with just a handful of cars? Nope - can't grasp that one!

As for travelling further afield - I do!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1485524)   #18
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I normally attend a couple of Britcar meetings each year but only did the 24 hours this year (missed Oulton round due to holiday and the Brands into the night due to lack of funds) but from what I can gather, a lot of the drivers were saving their cars for the first ever 24 hour race. If you were in their shoe's you would probably do the same.

The things that James Tucker and the EERC organised for the marshals at Siverstone were great (and Silverstone is not exactly one of my favourite circuits). We were given vouchers for a free breakfast each day and for an evening meal each day. T-shirts and sew on badges were also given out at sign on. The grids were massive and the Dutch supercar support races were worth the trip down South alone.

If you want more info on marshalling at other circuits then attend the training session that the flying muppet and I are giving to new marshals at Oultons training day in February (or just speak to us in person and we can give you info on where to stay etc)

Couldn't say it better myself ...
Old 17 Dec 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1485851)   #19
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
So if I understand the reason why the grid was so poor it makes it all better does it, whilst I'm stood flagging and observing for 2hr+ races with just a handful of cars? Nope - can't grasp that one!

As for travelling further afield - I do!
I didn't say that if you understood why the grid was so poor that it would make it better, The reason why the grid was so poor was that drivers were saving the cars for the 24 hours!

If you can't grasp that fact then ???????????

Old 17 Dec 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1485861)   #20
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I didn't say that if you understood why the grid was so poor that it would make it better, The reason why the grid was so poor was that drivers were saving the cars for the 24 hours!

If you can't grasp that fact then ???????????
Will they be saving their cars for the two day meeting on 22/23 April? Only a fortnight later and not five weeks later as the twenty four hours was.

Also I believe that many of the marshals who did the Oulton meeting last year could be reluctant to repeat the experience.............................................

Old 17 Dec 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1485914)   #21
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
Will they be saving their cars for the two day meeting on 22/23 April? Only a fortnight later and not five weeks later as the twenty four hours was.

Also I believe that many of the marshals who did the Oulton meeting last year could be reluctant to repeat the experience.............................................

As the 24 hour race is a lot later in the year than April, I very much doubt it!

As we are all volunteers, you can choose which meetings you want to marshal at. If you don't want to marshal at a meeting, you don't have to!

Old 18 Dec 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1486053)   #22
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done to James and John, Steve and Claire on making Britcar what it is now-this crew/club is one of the few that actually realises that without marshals racing can't happen. What a pitty that many other clubs try and ignor this crucial fact. All the best for the new year to the EERC and all the marshals that I know!
Old 18 Dec 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1486055)   #23
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
How does one volunteer for the 24 hours of silverstone?
Old 18 Dec 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1486063)   #24
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There should be plenty of requests for marshals closer to the date. Julian's excellent website -- www.marshals.org.uk -- will, no doubt, be a good place to start.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1486081)   #25
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Thank you!