Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 May 2001, 04:29 (Ref:95042)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well they couldn't change Brands Hatch so...........

Oh my gawd,

I've just read that the man who designed Sepang has been commissioned to re-design Silverstone.

When they reprofiled Stowe I thought that was the worst they could do. Apparently though they think they can go one better and make it yet another homogenised version of a racetrack. Its being partly financed by Bernie E and the Octagon group and is estimated to cost around £250 million.

Thoughts people.
Old 22 May 2001, 05:35 (Ref:95063)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I'd put the 250 mill into better access roads to the place, and better parking facilities. Maybe even a spur railway line into the infield. And better toilet facilities.
Old 22 May 2001, 06:34 (Ref:95075)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly, there's nobody in the circuit design business who could possible do justice to this kind of money...

Actually, I would have been happy to have Brands just the way it was, much better than Silverstone.
Old 23 May 2001, 10:29 (Ref:95474)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone is one of the worst actual race circuits in f1. If we see one passing move there this year, I'll eat my hat. Move it somewhere PLEASE! It is almost guaranteed that I'll fall asleep in the middle of a freezing cold Australian winter night when the British GP is on.
Old 23 May 2001, 10:34 (Ref:95477)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who said Sepang was a good overtaking circuit. Perlease.

Why not let someone who knows about racing design the new shape?
Old 23 May 2001, 10:36 (Ref:95478)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

If it's that cold, mac, you shouldn't fall asleep... the cold woke me up last Saturday, for instance, when I slept in my car at Tumut... it doesn't really come a lot colder than there...

Last edited by Ray Bell; 23 May 2001 at 10:39.
Old 23 May 2001, 10:40 (Ref:95479)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ahem,

I know it does.
Old 24 May 2001, 00:01 (Ref:95762)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He does you know...

"Brrr!", right Pete?
Old 24 May 2001, 00:51 (Ref:95769)   #9
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it's worth guys, it gets bloody cold at Silverstone too - it's flat and boring and if there's an east wind blowing it's perishing!!! And that's during the day - in mid-summer!!!

What Silverstone needs is a hill or two: perhaps Octagon could buy up a coal slag tip or two or some Cornish china clay waste and build some?

And Ray, I agree wholeheartedly with you about Brands - still a superb circuit, great views of half the track from the top of the stands. Unfortunately, the environmental concerns which blocked redevelopment of it are probably insuperable - it's been quite a cause celebre for Green pressure groups and they won't give up now they've won!

Bob Marley
Old 24 May 2001, 00:59 (Ref:95770)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

The pics of Brands are great, too... so many of them in Nigel Snowden's book that look good.

Silverstone would have been appealing in 1950, I guess...
Old 24 May 2001, 05:24 (Ref:95807)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse
And Ray, I agree wholeheartedly with you about Brands - still a superb circuit, great views of half the track from the top of the stands. Unfortunately, the environmental concerns which blocked redevelopment of it are probably insuperable - it's been quite a cause celebre for Green pressure groups and they won't give up now they've won!
And thank god for that! For once we were all on their side... Dd you *see* the plans for the circuit ? How anyone could plan on destroying a circuit in that manner simply to attract Bernie's farce is beyond me...
Old 24 May 2001, 05:31 (Ref:95811)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well as to Brands, I agree.

I am concerned about Silverstone though because I have to say that its not that bad. We need differing types of circuit around the world. Anybody who's watched an F1 car flat through Bridge would realise that it is an extremely demanding and difficult track. Especialy as you have to brake hard for Priory before the car settles. Yes overtaking is difficult but I would suggest there are more opportunities there than at Sepang or the A1 ring.

And really that's my point. The man who designed Sepang must surely be the wrong person to re-design Silverstone.
Old 24 May 2001, 09:36 (Ref:95872)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter, I'm only new to this forum, but you seem like a reasonable sort of bloke. Surely you were joking when you said Silverstone had more places to pass than Sepang or the A-1 Ring. Maybe in a Ford Fiesta, but not an f1 car.
Old 24 May 2001, 09:45 (Ref:95876)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmmm, Let's see. Stowe, The Vale, Priory, Abbey. That's four possibilities.

A1 Ring. Turn 2 and er, er, nope thats it I think.

Sepang. 1 place but I don't know its name. Its where Ralf passed MH and others.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 24 May 2001 at 09:47.
Old 24 May 2001, 09:55 (Ref:95878)   #15
francis
Rookie

francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter - you could add the complex to your list of overtaking places. I've seen lots of overtaking there. As for the toilets - I don't really understand what the fuss is about - if you really want to see how bad they could be go to Monza!. I have a great fondness for Silverstone.

I hadn't read into it that they are going to redesign the actual track - I though it was all to do with the pit and paddok. The original BRDC plan was to build an F1 pit and paddock area - with a dedicated entry road - on the inside of the track at the end of hangar straight.

As far as the access roads are concerned - hopefully that will improve when the new bypass is finished. Brands isn't exactly perfect - have you tried going down that stretch of the M2 and M25 on a summer Sunday afternoon!

Francis
Old 24 May 2001, 10:04 (Ref:95882)   #16
mac
Veteran

But the braking zones at those places, just aren't big enough for modern f1 cars to pass each other (with the possible exception of a half possibility into Stowe). Fair enough, A-1Ring only has two passing spots (turn 1 and 2), but they are definite passing spots. Sepang has a couple of decent spots too. The first and last turn. Coulthard passed around the outside of turn 2 and Hakkinen often passes into the second last turn. Turns 4 and 9 are also half chances.

Just move the British GP to Brands and everyone will be happy.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:10 (Ref:95886)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

what if we moved it to somewhere that needed it? let's be constructive here. why not build an entirely new circuit near somewhere like bradford, where they could do with the extra employment, and there's a bit of uppy-downy stuff. one of the things that seems to make a good racetrack is ups and downs. also, doesn't brands have problems with the locals?

francis, the monza lavs are fine, so long as you either bring your own, or don't mind a chemical bog....
Old 24 May 2001, 10:10 (Ref:95887)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Just move the British GP to Brands and everyone will be happy.
Only until they find out that there are less passing places than at Silverstone.

The point is that last year at Sepang there was little overtaking this year there was more and its possibly because of the raised front wings. That means that Silverstone is likely to have more chances this year.

Passing at turn 1 A1 ring? Not so sure although I do recall an attempt.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:13 (Ref:95889)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just a thought but most people think Spa is the best circuit in the world. (I'm one of them) How many passing places does it have?
Old 24 May 2001, 10:18 (Ref:95890)   #20
mac
Veteran

Pete - I think we'll just have to disagree on the passing places issue.

However, I most certainly agree that Spa is the best track in the world. And I count 3 real places to pass there. Eau Rouge, Les Combes and the Bus Stop.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:22 (Ref:95891)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I would say that Eau Rouge would be extremely difficult to pas unless you get a lot of cooperation. La Source maybe but again you need some element of cooperation. The others yes.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:26 (Ref:95892)   #22
mac
Veteran

HOW AM I GOING?

I can't believe I wrote Eau Rouge - I meant La Source.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:29 (Ref:95894)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ha. Thought so.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:50 (Ref:95895)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Welcome Mac

Mac!! I noticed quite a few of your posts here and I don't remember welcoming you - so a big welcome to you to our friendly insult and abuse free forum. Please stay and post lots of posts. And Francis also, please don't forget that when you post 1000 posts, you qualify for the lucky draw for the Ferrari. The draw will be made as soon as everybody reaches 1000 posts.
And Ray - you want colder than Tumut? Try Cabramurra!! But hey!! what the hell are we moaning about cold for when Peter is in Siberia?

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 24 May 2001 at 10:52.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:59 (Ref:95900)   #25
mac
Veteran

Thanks for the warm welcome Valve Bounce!