Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2024, 16:24 (Ref:4221193)   #1
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, isn't this interesting...

A possible 11th entry, by Ottmar Szafnauer, no less...
Check it out on autosport.com...

Last edited by veeten; 30 Jul 2024 at 16:31.
Old 30 Jul 2024, 18:57 (Ref:4221227)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
A possible 11th entry, by Ottmar Szafnauer, no less...
Check it out on autosport.com...
Article here - despite the headline, it sounds like a very, very long way from being a reality. Might be an attempt made however & I'm with you V10, it could be very interesting.
Old 31 Jul 2024, 07:44 (Ref:4221270)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
F1 needs to start encouraging more teams to join. After the Andretti saga, they need to drop this elitist attitude. I wish Otmar the best. It's only in the planning stage atm, so hopefully more we will hear more in good time
Old 31 Jul 2024, 08:30 (Ref:4221273)   #4
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
If a company with massive history in F1 and a manufacturer on board as well as decades running teams in various areas cannot get in, (I think they will eventually) I doubt this one gets even remotely close sadly.
Old 31 Jul 2024, 12:00 (Ref:4221298)   #5
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the FIA will limit the entry list to 12 teams, purely on safety grounds. 24 cars going into the first corner could cause mayhem, sometimes does with 20 cars. I love to go back to the 70's when we had pre-qualification.
Old 31 Jul 2024, 12:54 (Ref:4221304)   #6
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
F1 needs to start encouraging more teams to join. After the Andretti saga, they need to drop this elitist attitude. I wish Otmar the best. It's only in the planning stage atm, so hopefully more we will hear more in good time
I think you should stop with the 'elitist' thing. The reason is purely financial in that the ten teams wish to keep the whole pot to themselves rather than they think they are better than anyone else.
I agree with your view that there should be more teams and I think twelve would be the correct balance between 'more to enjoy' and 'safety'. I too would like to see Andretti and one other up there on the grid.

Re. the 24 cars in to the first corner thing could be alleviated by giving a slightly larger gap between the (staggered) rows on the grid.
Old 31 Jul 2024, 12:59 (Ref:4221307)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So greed masquerading as elitism?
Old 31 Jul 2024, 13:07 (Ref:4221309)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
So greed masquerading as elitism?
I can't even give them that. It's greed masquerading as ........ greed.
Old 31 Jul 2024, 15:52 (Ref:4221337)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
obviously with this sport and the players in it one cannot discount the level of greed involved...but on the other hand, given the amount of improvement we have seen by the teams this year, the seeming success of the cap rules, the narrowing gap between lap times during quali sessions, the number of different winners and teams at the sharp end this season etc.

i dont think we can completely discount the desire to maintain this level of increasing competitiveness across the 10 existing teams as also being a factor in their desire to maintain the current number of teams.

add 1-2 teams, add 2-4 drivers, change rules whether it be length of grid or i assume also to the quali format, the risk of more SC/VSC periods, existing teams having to supply those new team, dilution of staff across more teams only to see new entries flounder at the back for years...

what exactly would be the sporting reason to add more teams?
Old 31 Jul 2024, 18:12 (Ref:4221346)   #10
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
The simple fact is they have got what they want this year at Liberty, the domination has been taken apart,you have consistently different winners and the product is going to therefore go from strength to strength, no team worth their salt wants ANYBODY else to have a piece of that pie. I wouldn't if I was involved.
Old 31 Jul 2024, 21:15 (Ref:4221358)   #11
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
obviously with this sport and the players in it one cannot discount the level of greed involved...but on the other hand, given the amount of improvement we have seen by the teams this year, the seeming success of the cap rules, the narrowing gap between lap times during quali sessions, the number of different winners and teams at the sharp end this season etc.

i dont think we can completely discount the desire to maintain this level of increasing competitiveness across the 10 existing teams as also being a factor in their desire to maintain the current number of teams.

add 1-2 teams, add 2-4 drivers, change rules whether it be length of grid or i assume also to the quali format, the risk of more SC/VSC periods, existing teams having to supply those new team, dilution of staff across more teams only to see new entries flounder at the back for years...

what exactly would be the sporting reason to add more teams?
More drivers... more opportunities to see people have a go, at least get on the grid instead of reserve driver status.

The convergence is not because of the limit on entries.
It's simply an evolution of design around a fixed set of rules.
It has always been that way.

More safety cars/vsc periods makes for more variety, more upsets, more unpredictable results, even if adding 4 cars would automatically make more interventions necessary.
Statically you would say yes it would, but not necessarily.
Sunday at spa was completely intervention free so would adding 4 cars automatically mean more problems? No.

There are a number of rules and procedures that over the years have added to the interventionist procedures. Things like more awareness of safety etc, and a greater social call for more intervention in dangerous situations plus insurance.
You could have 26, and that limit only came about because of the limitations of Monaco and later on because of pit lane length and space etc.

I would happily go back to prequalifying but who could afford to NOT qualify these days?
Old 31 Jul 2024, 23:19 (Ref:4221368)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
7 winners in the season so far isn’t a bad watch…
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 1 Aug 2024, 09:49 (Ref:4221421)   #13
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
From what was going on last two years this is exactly my point, I have no idea if the racing is any good as I do not watch, I merely keep up with basics and news, but this basic aspect will keep the sport in the limelight
Old 1 Aug 2024, 21:13 (Ref:4221468)   #14
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Not sure if this is best here or in the Andretti thread, but I found this part of the latest Job Saward blog to be really interesting, talking about Ollie Oakes taking on the TP role at Alpine:
Quote:
It is not surprising in that Oakes has ambitions in Formula 1 and it might even be the first sign of the team being sold – as Oakes has the backing for an F1 team, which was going to be called Hitech, from a very wealthy Kazakh called Vladimir Kim, who is one of the wealthiest man in Kazakhstan. That did not happen but there is an ongoing legal action between Oakes and the FIA regarding the rejection. This is all being done through an arbitration process which is private and confidential, which means that we will probably never find out who won and who lost, nor what it cost either party.
Whilst Andretti has been making a lot of noise, at least one of the other rejected entries has not gone away and has "gone legal". Maybe the FIA President's about turn on new teams (he now believes they should buy an existing team) is as much to do with this arbitration as anything else?
Old 1 Aug 2024, 21:18 (Ref:4221469)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well, isn't this interesting...

Guess we’ll never know the answer given that Oakes is now running Alpine.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 22:38 (Ref:4221480)   #16
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
have no idea if the racing is any good as I do not watch
this is brand new information
Old 2 Aug 2024, 07:13 (Ref:4221513)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The Oakes hire is very likely linked to the exit of Alpine's ownership.

Alpine leaving would not be a disaster for F1 as it's only 2 cars worth of engine supply...

If the Mercedes board suddenly changed policy then that would be very awkward.
But I think Toto has worked quite hsrd over thevyears to ensure the Beackley lot are not indelibly linked to Daimler Benz board decisions abd would quickly 'reformm' as 'Imeos Team Petronas' or something with a supply of Brixworth rebadged engines.

As for the customers though what would they do?!
Old 2 Aug 2024, 15:34 (Ref:4221539)   #18
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which sounds like they want to have a similar situation like Red Bull Racing. Eying Alpine as a "B-team" to move their "next up" competitors onto the F1 grid. Ferrari already does that to Haas, with Bearman, so why not.

This is why new teams are necessary, independent teams that will not be turned into "errand boys" for the manufacturers.
Old 2 Aug 2024, 16:09 (Ref:4221540)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sorry for the delayed response...i'll apologize by making it long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
More drivers... more opportunities to see people have a go, at least get on the grid instead of reserve driver status.
for sure more seats means more drivers but for me it doesnt follow that more will lead to a better field overall.

granted, is the optimal number 20 or can it be slightly higher at 22? thats a fluid question at best...all i can say is that if at 20 they struggle to find a full 20 at the current standard, then that risk surely also continues to grow past 20.

so while 22 may not be enough to tip the scales (obviously the sport has survived with more than 20) not everyone deserves to get a chance and often times even those who get chances, for one reason or another (usually because back marker teams are not a great place to showcase or grow talent), fail to make the most of it.

that is the nature of competition.

Quote:
The convergence is not because of the limit on entries.
It's simply an evolution of design around a fixed set of rules.
It has always been that way.
fair point there but surely this current development cycle has also been aided by the budget and CapEx limits.

for sure though, we will see what happens as the cap faces its next challenge in the form of the 2026 changes. but for that reason alone, i think there is a logic to keeping the recipe the same. change now risks ruining what seems, imo at least, an operational and financial framework that actually is working.

and for what, a new team to which no one can have any loyalty to. to see something new simply because its new?

for me not so much.

Quote:
More safety cars/vsc periods makes for more variety, more upsets, more unpredictable results, even if adding 4 cars would automatically make more interventions necessary.
Statically you would say yes it would, but not necessarily.
Sunday at spa was completely intervention free so would adding 4 cars automatically mean more problems? No.
fair but you are also using a race grid with 10 fixed competitors as your example!

new teams or at least the last few from scratch new teams, tend to be underfunded and underprepared. to me that suggests that yes they could cause more on track disruptions.

although, we would have to look at the last expansion period and compare it to now to see if that period had more interventions...

but im not going to do that my myself therefore i must concede to you on this point.

Quote:
There are a number of rules and procedures that over the years have added to the interventionist procedures. Things like more awareness of safety etc, and a greater social call for more intervention in dangerous situations plus insurance.
and i must concede to you on this as well...new teams, new people, new ideas, new ways of doing things etc. that is something valuable we would get from new teams.

Super Aguri's double diffuser solution, for example, can be seen as a brilliant idea that was borne out of the necessity of a small team trying to compete against larger ones.

so while things look great right now, i cannot argue against the possibility that keeping things a closed shop could easily also lead to stagnation. this above all else may be enough to get me to switch sides on this one.

i guess the one concern then i would have about new teams is whether or not they are customer teams or not. as the small number of suppliers take on more customers, as more teams develop towards a the same design direction, well then that sort of convergence could also lead to stagnation!

Haas was great but they were, as much as allowed, a Ferrari clone.

Quote:
You could have 26, and that limit only came about because of the limitations of Monaco and later on because of pit lane length and space etc.

I would happily go back to prequalifying but who could afford to NOT qualify these days?
and thats where i get flipped back around...not really for any of the above concerns but rather to open things up that much would inevitably attract those with money, more hedge funds, more corporate backed entities...

for me that would also be the sport feeding its base greed so i guess for me its more about sticking with the greed i know.
Old 2 Aug 2024, 16:54 (Ref:4221542)   #20
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
The simple fact is they have got what they want this year at Liberty, the domination has been taken apart,you have consistently different winners and the product is going to therefore go from strength to strength, no team worth their salt wants ANYBODY else to have a piece of that pie. I wouldn't if I was involved.
True. Andretti Autosport and USF1 Mk2 are perfectly welcome to start a breakaway Grand Prix series.