Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 10 Mar 2007, 01:09 (Ref:1862769)   #1
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Syracuse International Raceway

This is a combined oval/road course design. The road course I created, the oval is a duplicate of the Talladega oval. I moved the start/finish line and pits to what was the back straight of the Talladega Raceway. The road course runs in a clockwise direction so the cars are running in the same direction on the main straight of the road course as they would on the oval. The point of having the start/finish line on the straight is to allow for standing starts which you would find in F1 and now Champ Car.

This is the oval, nothing really spectaular about it (same length as it's inspiration, 2.66 miles):

The road course is a tricky number. The track starts along the oval's main straight. The track makes a tight chicane that brings the track to the infield of the oval. The track then goes under the banking via a tunnel. The elevation change to allow the track to go under the banking would have to rival the evevation change of The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. The elevation change happens during the afoermentioned chicane. The track then goes through a right-turn sweeper into another chicane. Immediately following the chicane, there is a long, slightly banked corner. Following a short straight, there is a moderately fast s-bend. After another short straight, there is a series of hairpins. Between the two hairpins, the elevation reaches the same height as the main straight. After the second hairpin, the elevation begins to rise sharply. At the top of the hill is a chicane to slow the drivers before the sharp drop to the next corner, a long sweeper. The chicane was not originally part of the plan, but the speeds that were reached by the cars at the bottom of the hill (right before the sweeper) was dangerous. The sweeper looks faster than is actually is. The drivers usually ended up going off the outside of the corner. Through the sweeper, into the final corner which leads you back onto the main straight and across the line. That's a lap of SIR.

REMINDER: THIS TRACK IS NOT AN EDIT OF TALLADEGA!!! IT IS AN ALL NEW DESIGN USING TALLADEGA AS A BASE!!! GOT THAT???
Old 10 Mar 2007, 11:10 (Ref:1862935)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks good. The only things I would like is a combined circuit a la Monza, and opening up the chicane on the back straight of the road course. And if one of those hairpins was like karussel *drool* ... An ALMS date would be good - if that plan was built at Tally (I know it's not an edit of Tally) it would get one, a 24h of Tally on that combined course would rock.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1865007)   #3
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any other thoughts?
Old 13 Mar 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1865555)   #4
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
kivipallur92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the road course is quite interesting.

RIP Colin McRae (5 August 1968– 15 September 2007)
Old 13 Mar 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1865664)   #5
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like it Mandretti, although I'd look at loosening that chicane on the backstraight. I think you could play around that with to create something a bit more interesting.

Other than that, it's great!