Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Oct 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2769371)   #1
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Virgin and Lotus want blue flags Banned

I've just spotted this on Autosport

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87186

Am I the only one who feels a little irritated that the new kids on the block think they can waltz into a sport with 60 years of heritage and start saying they want it changed.

It's a cornerstone of this sport that back markers do not deliberately interfere with the Leaders of the race.

I'm guessing this is being driven by how little air time they are getting fighting for 20th place.

Don't get me wrong I'm quite happy we've got some new teams in the mix but sorry folks but if you want more airtime your just going to have to build a faster Car and mix it with the big boys.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2769378)   #2
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungary 89 View Post
Am I the only one who feels a little irritated that the new kids on the block think they can waltz into a sport with 60 years of heritage and start saying they want it changed.....
Not nearly as irritated as i felt when i realized that Ferrari had veto powers to deny new rules.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2769380)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have no problem with the upstarts expressing their opinion.

I don't think they are really suggesting that they should be allowed to "deliberately interfere" with the leaders. They are just wanting the blue flag to be less harsh on them and making the point that overtaking the backmarkers used to place more onus on the front runners. I've heard that opinion expressed by others.

For me there is a middle ground. The current implementation is a little OTT. However banning blue flags is too far the other way.

Bring on the discussion maybe a better compromise is possible.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2769398)   #4
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right expressing an opinion is fine

Though words like "makes a mockery of the sport" sound like a little more than that.

I suppose my irritation comes from the fact that they knew the rules when they decided to enter an the Blue flag rules are hardly new so if they didn't like them why bother getting involved.

I agree that the rules do probably need looking at as I've seen blue flags waved far too early in the past so to then expect them to pull over after 3 seems mighty unfair to the back marker.

Also clever use of the confusion caused by a back marker can make a race
Hungary 89 being a classic example.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2769405)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Odd that you mention that race
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2769407)   #6
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
If the aerodynamic rules encouraged cars that could overtake each other, then the blue flag rule would not be needed in it's present form. Despite this sport having 60 years of heritage (Hungary 89), the obligation for backmarkers to leap out of the way of the leaders has only been around for about 15 or 20 years. It was brought about because of the difficulty of overtaking even a car that was so slow it could be lapped. Nor do I find it unreasonable that teams in their first year express opinions about what could be improved in F1. They have come in with fresh views and are not yet bogged down with "we´ve always done it that way" thinking.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2769409)   #7
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the main problem with the blue flag rules has been marshals waving them too early. They sometimes misjudge when to wave them and the driver-to-be-lapped then passes one of his three blue flags too early. There is also no stationary blue/ waved blue system to differentiate between a car coming up behind and a car being all over you, as in lots of other forms of motorsport.

I can understand Virgin and Lotus's position here. On the other hand, if you were to get rid of the blue flag rule (I certainly don't think blue flags are a bad idea- it's good that the drivers are told by marshals that cars are coming up to lap them), you would have to watch out for drivers being uncooperative and persuaded by the big teams to help them out. I suppose that could be left to the discretion of the stewards as to who to punish in the same way driving standard issues are, although you would then enter into the muddy water of consistency over different races, something the present 3 strikes rule avoids.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2769412)   #8
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many times have we seen a very interesting mid pack race ruined by blue flags for a run-away leader?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2769416)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe on numerous occasions, but then isn't it up to those drivers letting the lapping car go past that they lose as little time for themselves as possible? They are allowed to pass three blue flags.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2769420)   #10
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I think the main problem with the blue flag rules has been marshals waving them too early...
its the people in race control who instruct the marshals when to wave the blue flags

Again its due to Bernies vision of going where the money is since if he stayed in the core of racing the flaggies are good enough to judge blue flags, when in these new countries they are not
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2769423)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

You sometimes see them being waved when the overtaking driver is not in a position to overtake short of the lapped driver slowing right down.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2769424)   #12
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the main problem with the blue flag rules has been marshals waving them too early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
its the people in race control who instruct the marshals when to wave the blue flags

Again its due to Bernies vision of going where the money is since if he stayed in the core of racing the flaggies are good enough to judge blue flags, when in these new countries they are not
Quote:
You sometimes see them being waved when the overtaking driver is not in a position to overtake short of the lapped driver slowing right down.
You missed my point, DON'T BLAME THE MARSHALS, blame Bernie and the FIA
Old 4 Oct 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2769429)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I'm not blaming anyone specifically. I'm commenting on the problem at hand.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2769433)   #14
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid idea.

Keep them. They'd just create a load more accidents similar to Webber's at Valencia if they got rid of them. Virgin and Lotus should just accept the fact that they are slow and get on with building a quicker car for next year.

They're not in contention for victories, podiums or even points currently. What's the point in fighting to keep a quicker, championship challenging car behind them for no good reason? Not only would they be at risk of ruining somebody's championship, but also damaging their car and losing mileage that even now they desperately need.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2769459)   #15
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've liked this idea for a while. Obviously lapped cars would need to use a bit of common sense - they aren't 'racing' the lead cars. But for me the onus should be switched - its the leader's job to get past the back markers not the other way round. It would create some good situations too as we saw in Singapore!

Its hardly a deal breaker - I've loved F1 long enough with the blue flags. It would be interesting to trial it for a season and see how it works.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2769497)   #16
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not blaming anyone specifically. I'm commenting on the problem at hand.
You said marshals misjudge when to wave the blue flag. It isn't a judgement they make in this case.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2769509)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the Blue flags, they add a colorful dimension.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2769529)   #18
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The three blues and you're out rule is gone, replaced by a more sensible move over as soon a practicle. At some races, race control issue the blue flags to be waved, and in my opinion it hasn't been too bad this year - who's copped a penalty in the last half of the season?

Showing them a little early is a better idea, allows both lapped and lapping drivers to get set when able, not the current FIA rules which means blues for passing. (And we dont want to see the stupid Australian V8 senario where blues flags are relayed via email and only shown trackside as a last resort prior to penalty.)
Old 5 Oct 2010, 04:52 (Ref:2769562)   #19
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they are trying to start a debate, not seriously expecting to get rid of blues.

I fully support the idea that cars that are being lapped should not delay faster cars and the blue flag rules are a sensible way to enforce this however the action expected of the car being lapped should be to move off the racing line with minimal loss of time. This obviously means that with the three strikes rule they should not be shown a blue until the faster car is almost on the slower car's gearbox, currently the blues are often out far too early meaning that the slower car has to slow down simply to allow the faster car to catch up within three flag points, this is totally unfair and is disrespectful to the slower teams.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 06:38 (Ref:2769574)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Definitely blue flags should be less hardcore. Fighting through traffic used to be a skill. Watching the backmarkers instantly tripping over themselves to get out the way annoys me.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 06:46 (Ref:2769578)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recall a few years ago, I was qualifying for a race at Silverstone. I overtook a car coming down towards Bridge and he latched on to me thus as I exited the corner I saw blue flags waving. I hesitated because I couldn't figure out where the faster car was! Turned out the only car near me was the car I'd just passed and the flaggie thought I was being overtaken!
Old 5 Oct 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2769585)   #22
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the main problem with the blue flag rules has been marshals waving them too early. They sometimes misjudge when to wave them and the driver-to-be-lapped then passes one of his three blue flags too early. There is also no stationary blue/ waved blue system to differentiate between a car coming up behind and a car being all over you, as in lots of other forms of motorsport.
Dont forget that in F1 the marshals are told by race control when to show the blue flags. In all (most) other UK series the marshals user their own judgement...
Old 5 Oct 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2769609)   #23
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Blue flags have always annoyed me. I can see the reason for them, but then I think "These cars are all in the same race", so really, it should be every man for himself.

Most drivers are sensible enough to move out of the way as necessary whether blue flags are shown or not. There is no point in defending too hard against a much faster car lapping you, you only slow yourself down anyway, and you can improve your lap times by slip streaming on the car is past(maybe not in F1 though).
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2769611)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely the problem arises when there is a gaggle of cars fighting in their own race for position and being lapped at the same time. Flags are necessary IMO but draconian penalties for defending against other equal cars, which then delays the leader etc. should be scrapped.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2769613)   #25
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really great drivers didn't rely on blue flags to get past backmarkers. A yellow crash helmet in the mirrors sufficed