Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Sep 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1400248)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heidfeld signs for BMW

Nick Heidfeld has signed for BMW.

However - he is contracted to Williams next year, so this agreement is from 2007 onwards.

Obviously the Jenson Button situation will decide whether he's released/sold early.

More at autosport.com
Old 6 Sep 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1400271)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that partly answers a question. I am not sure we are that we are that much better off! Whatever I hope he races next year.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1400277)   #3
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder if Patrick and Frank are happy with this??? Did Nick really have a headache last weekend?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1400349)   #4
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Nick Heidfeld has signed for BMW.

However - he is contracted to Williams next year, so this agreement is from 2007 onwards.

Obviously the Jenson Button situation will decide whether he's released/sold early.

More at autosport.com
Isnt it just an option, not a contract, that Williams hold with him for 2006
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1400363)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it is indeed an option on his services this simply confirms that the Jenson saga is still ongoing and Williams are keeping Nick on the side in case needed. I'd imagine that they would not be able to force him to do third car/testing duties and would have to offer him at least a race seat.

Although a fan, I am actaully getting pretty tired of Jenson's stance in this now - get in there next to Webber and give us not only a good ding-dong team-mate battle for 2006 but also a decent shot at dragging Williams up from the doldrums to the podium positions where they belong.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1400385)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
I wonder if Patrick and Frank are happy with this??? Did Nick really have a headache last weekend?

Patrick and Frank can't really be unhappy.

They've signed Jenson, so Nick has to make other arrangements.

And if they'd chosen to drop him for Monza, they'd have done it before the weekend, not in the middle of it.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1400386)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps Mr Heidfeld's option has been sold on... to BMW... in addition to the suggested settlement BMW is obligated to give Williams to not have to supply them in future years.

Why is Mr Button so critically important for Williams? Pizzaboy did a very good job last weekend at Monza... why not leave him in the seat?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1400392)   #8
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And if they'd chosen to drop him for Monza, they'd have done it before the weekend, not in the middle of it.
That depends on when they found out.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1400412)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Why is Mr Button so critically important for Williams? Pizzaboy did a very good job last weekend at Monza... why not leave him in the seat?
Jenson Button is not only among the fastest (certainly in the second string behing Schumi, FA and KR) but is smooth and relentlessly consistent and something of a PR/Sponsor's dream to boot. He fits the Williams profile perfectly and would do plebty of good to the team in many ways.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1400441)   #10
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it that nothing has been officially confirmed yet. What about this BAR pre-contract? What about Williams' option? My reading of the situation is that BMW may have signed Heidfeld for 2007 only. Let's see.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1400470)   #11
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As of about 430 pm Autosport are saying his headache is no better and Pizza Boy gets his second Spa in a row - there's one for all conspicary theorists
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1400537)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
My concern is that Heidfeld have a seat for next year... He's too good a driver to be a tester. As I said in another thread, maybe he'll end up at Ferrari, if Michael retires?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1400649)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ironically, when Senna decided to leave Toleman for Lotus, he was suspended by the team for the Italian GP. I doubt Frank would be so petty or self-spiting though, especially as Nick always knew his drive was only likely to be for a single season. And the idea that Pizzonia is as good as Button or Heidfeld is frankly ludicrous, he has only ever intermittantly shone, and doesn't seem capable of inspiring a team or helping with development to a great extent (although that said, Williams are better-palced to comment on that)
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1400691)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Frank wouldn't suspend Nick - he never did anything to Montoya in the same situation.

Nick has simply excercised his right to sign a contract after his current one expires.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1400692)   #15
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
It has long been clear to me that Heidfeld has secured a driver's seat for 2006 for a while. The question is only where he will end up?

Let's speculate a bit (more): I was convinced that NH would either end up at Williams or at BAR for 2006. It now looks pretty odd that he would join/stay with either one of the two while already committed to joining BMW for 2007. I know, Montoya raced a full season with Williams eventhough he had signed with McLaren. This, however, is generally unsatisfactory for all concerned (why would a team involve a futur competitor in the development of its car).

Therefore, I believe that Williams will sell its option to either BAR or BMW. BAR being then less likely to be interested by that (unless they are bound to purchase that option by virtue of their pre-contract with Heidfeld), it would open BMW's doors to NH for 2006. This is scary for the JV fan that I am. I don't see BMW racing two experienced drivers at the time.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1400698)   #16
NWFF 37
Rookie

United Kingdom
warrington
NWFF 37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as hes signed for bmw, thats obviously where his long term future lies and i guess he'l finish his career there. But where for the short term? would williams or BAR want him for just one year? Maybe Sato or Davidson would get a stay of execution at Bar or Pizzonia may be rewarded for his patience and testing?

I just dont get why BMW have'nt signed him for 06, as i thought that williams only had an option, and i thought it had expired, and Franks made it clear he wants JB and MW. MW even stating that he is commited at williams.

All this surely makes him a free agent for 06, or am i completely wrong?
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1400702)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

As I understand the reports Frank has an option on Nick for 2006 (clearly a back up for Jenson).

If Jenson moves to Williams, Frank will be able to release Nick - whether he does that for nothing, or sells him is another matter.

So I'd say Nick will either be at Williams or BMW in 2006.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1400716)   #18
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
And the idea that Pizzonia is as good as Button or Heidfeld is frankly ludicrous, he has only ever intermittantly shone, and doesn't seem capable of inspiring a team or helping with development to a great extent (although that said, Williams are better-palced to comment on that)
Pizzonia has only ever intermittantly shone because he has only intermittantly been in a good car. Against Webber at Jaguar he did do a lot of moaning but in fairness he had a lot to moan about. Jaguar was obviously running a one car team. This was shown when Wilson was put in the car. I believe that Wilson is one of the best British drivers for a long time and potentially better even than Button. His results at Jaguar did not do him justice and yet he was as good as Pizzionia, which I think says more about the talent of Pizzonia than the poor quality of Wilson. Williams believes in him and liked him enough to bring him back from Jaguar. They seem to think that he has good speed and no lack of development skills and I would wager that in an identical car he would put up a close fight with Webber. Certainly at Spa (one of the greatest drivers circuits) last year he was excellent, with a chance of finishing third before he was let down by the car. I think that Jungle boy deserves to be in F1 more than many of the drivers that currently are.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1400724)   #19
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFF 37
I just dont get why BMW have'nt signed him for 06, as i thought that williams only had an option, and i thought it had expired, and Franks made it clear he wants JB and MW. MW even stating that he is commited at williams.

All this surely makes him a free agent for 06, or am i completely wrong?
BMW haven't signed him yet for 2006 because:

1. Nick (unlike JB) cannot sign with two teams for the same year. Williams have an option on him they can exercise and NH has reportedly already signed a pre-contract with BAR whereby he will join them if Williams do not exercise their option. This left no room for NH to sign with BMW for 2006. This is not the end of the story though. By making it public that he has signed with BMW for 2007 & 2008, NH's agent and /or BMW voluntarily make him less attractive for Williams and BAR such that they hope to be able to convince the team entitled to his services for 2006 to let him go; or

2. (very unlikely though) BMW have decided to honour JV's contract first before hiring NH, the other seat being for a young driver (Nico Rosberg I would venture).

IMO, above no 1 is the most likely explanation to the current situation.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1400793)   #20
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gee what a surprise - Nick signed with BMW - didnt see that one coming at all

perhaps this 'headache' is the result of being taught a lesson in politics by Sir Frank - dont play with me little boy, and get away from my car'. I doubt that Frank or Sam would want Nick having any more to do with the car given where Nick is going. Montoya was different - going to McLaren was different in that they know what they're doing, BMW might build engines but have to learn how to build cars and I'm sure that given the supposed state of the relationship between BMW and Williams, Williams would not be in a very 'giving' mood when it comes to any sort of leg-up on where to start.

I referred to an interview recently with Frank in another topic by one of our local publications - well part of that interview relates to this topic as well. The editor asked straight out 'who's driving the other Wiliams in 2006' of course probably not expecting an answer but Frank said it was too early to comment on the drivers futures, to which the question came 'will Jenson stay at BAR' the answer was 'the mathematics suggest that is not possible' - take that how you want!!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1400800)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If Nick was forced out by Williams they would be paying him big money. He has a headache, he really does.

There is nothing too political either. He has signed for BMW for 2007. Williams are big enough and grown up enough to accept that. Expecially as they already have two drivers signed for 2006 and NH has no guarentee of a drive with them in 2007.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1400805)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Nick is going to (already has?) go down as one of the very wasted talents of F1, IMHO.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1400921)   #23
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine the nerve of Heidfeld,crashing while testing so he could pretend to have a "headache"..
The first Lesmo is a 165Kph corner,that's more then enough for a headache,I would have thought.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 01:55 (Ref:1400973)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Frank wouldn't suspend Nick - he never did anything to Montoya in the same situation.

Nick has simply excercised his right to sign a contract after his current one expires.

That is exactly right, that is all Nick has done and nothing more should be read into the situation. I have read that Nick hurt his neck and back in that shunt of his. He is a professional and the fact that he is sitting out a couple of races is completely genuine IMHO of course.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1401097)   #25
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Genuine, but like Martin Brundle said on the weekend, pretty weak IMO. Must be a really bad headache.