Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1079088)   #1
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cars I'd like to see in the Btcc

Currently there are some great looking cars in the Btcc and some not so great looking cars(not picking on Proton, I'm glad they are there)

I was looking at another thread about an Audi A4 ine the stcc and it got me thinking.
I'd love to see the A4 in the Btcc, but more than that I started thinking who currently runs models that could be used in the btcc. (or have road cars that would be suitable).

Any suggestions welcome, If I'd asked this a few years ago people would have laughed at the idea of a proton.

Personally I'd like to see Nissan , Renault and Ford represented again.
I know that every manufacturer is owned by everyone else but there's no reason why they could not compete with thier own brands. Lets see VW against Skoda and Seat. It's all publicity anyway.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1079133)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Every new manufacturer is welcome, but to make a serious list I would say BMW and Alfa Romeo. And maybe in the near future the JAS Honda Accord and German developed Ford Focus. All mentioned cars are ETCC spec.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1079140)   #3
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see more manufacturers, as would i think everyone on the forum and even the current manufacturers who are competing. Its all down to money, and there is not the willingness like there was around 1995-1998 to plough money into the championship.

I think that its all largely down to the private independent teams now for the BTCC, teams like WSR are doing a great job to help retain and regain interest in touring car racing from the public at large, not just us Diehards!

I think we will see Accords coming in 2005, but the level of support they'd have from Honda will not be anything like the old days.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1079230)   #4
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
The Accord looks great, I hope some make it to the btcc.
The mazda 6 would be a nice addition.
A little somthing form Mitsubishi would also be good. They might have to abandon rallying if they dont start improving next year.
Come to think of it Citroen and Subaru could make sweet Touring cars. Ok I've just started dreaming mow.

On a more serious note I reckon Ford, toyota and Renault/nissan need to get back into Touring cars.
F1 only covers part of your image, touringcars complete the PR package.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1079237)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't think Renault will join ETCC or BTCC in the near future. They are focussing on single seaters, JWRC (and maybe WRC) and will launch a new Megane silhoutte car as replacement for the Clio V6 Cup. But I think daughter company Nissan makes a big chance to join touring car racing. British RN Motorsport has already published some photo's of a Nissan Primera ETCC car in the beginning of this year. See this topic.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1079251)   #6
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Thanks FIRE.

It is an ugly road car and would probably not look much better in race spec but it would be great to have another car maker represented, even if it's an independant team.

Do you know if toyota have any touring cars running in any series around the world? I have'nt found one yet.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1079255)   #7
buffy
Rookie

buffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the new ford fiesta like the super 1600 version would be cool,
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1079260)   #8
buffy
Rookie

st220 mondeo is a bit fat n heavey and slow ,but in touring car form might be a good car
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1079266)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by buffy
the new ford fiesta like the super 1600 version would be cool,
I think the Fiesta is too small for touring cars (I'm fairly sure there's a minimum dimension in the regs).

As an aside, Pat Doran is building a car for rallycross based on the super 1600 fiesta - it'll be a 4 wheel drive 2 litre turbo monster though! Much more impressive

As for who should come into the BTCC? Ford need to be there (probably Mondeo), Nissan, Volvo, Peugeot - all the usual suspects from the Supertouring days. Big grids of works backed cars. That's what we want. Just got to convince them to loosen up the old purse strings......
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1079278)   #10
buffy
Rookie

too small,civic type r? they are in there.
! ,pats fiesta should be cool but i still will miss the RS200 popping and banging around track, i must agree ,with the major backed teams though,just remembered the volvo estates hehe they were proper quick too,lol
cheers
matt
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1079288)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
As an aside, Pat Doran is building a car for rallycross based on the super 1600 fiesta - it'll be a 4 wheel drive 2 litre turbo monster though! Much more impressive
If I remember well Jos Kuijpers will use also a Fiesta (with a Focus engine) in next years ERC.

Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
As for who should come into the BTCC? Ford need to be there (probably Mondeo), Nissan, Volvo, Peugeot - all the usual suspects from the Supertouring days. Big grids of works backed cars. That's what we want. Just got to convince them to loosen up the old purse strings......
Belgian/German Mühlner Motorsport is building a ETCC Volvo, see this topic from a few months ago.
Also Peugeot is interested in a touring car project, see this topic.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1079299)   #12
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
There are some makes which dont have strong roots in touring cars that I think would benifit from it.
Like Fiat and Skoda for example. I think they would get a real boost if they had touring cars. And if they dont want factory team costs then just help out an independant team with some money and tec support.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1079348)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big BMW & Alfa teams like from ETCC.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 08:12 (Ref:1079775)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think our best hope for the near future could be BMW, and perhaps Alfa Romeo.

Who knows, perhaps other manufacturers would want to follow them into the BTCC.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1079778)   #15
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
I think one thing that has keep the BTCC going through its dark times is Vauxhall, the only manufacturer in recent times to show real commitment to the BTCC

Seeing Alfa back would be excellent for the BTCC, i can see more likelyhood of that than the likes of Renault returning
Old 28 Aug 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1080064)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The BTCC badly needs more teams + cars.
Alfa + BMW would be welcome additions.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1080133)   #17
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think one thing that has keep the BTCC going through its dark times is Vauxhall, the only manufacturer in recent times to show real commitment to the BTCC
Recent? They've never ever left! Kudos to Vauxhall.

(They'll quit next week now!)

Answer to the topic: cars I want to see in the ETCC...Renault's - simple. Megané's or Laguna's are fine with me. Won't happen though.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 10:50 (Ref:1080480)   #18
Psycho
Rookie

Psycho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lexus should enter the IS200

Homer: Hello, operator, give me the number for 911 !!
Old 29 Aug 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1080481)   #19
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard
Recent? They've never ever left! Kudos to Vauxhall.

(They'll quit next week now!)
Don't tempt fate!

As much as I would like to see an IS200 present, Lexus made it pretty clear they were not interested in entering when one was privately run back in 2001.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1080609)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They did look at a works team for 2002, but decided they'd be better expanding their dealer network before promoting their cars in the BTCC. Makes sense to me.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1081322)   #21
oz tourers
Rookie

oz tourers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Subaru have an imprezza in japan which races in the national touring car series there. The car is based on a WRX, so its a turbo, but with a bit of work (hint -> factory backing, subaru???) they could be set up as a super 2000 car. i'll attach a pic of it soon. the other option, probably much more expensive, is to convert the WRC car, again, a turbo, but a 2 litre. its also quite strong (to survive the bashing it gets in places like the acropolis).

Mitsubishi had a privateer carisma in the btcc a coupler of years ago, i think, but in the production class. maybe a super 2000 conversion there, or a lancer evo, again like in japan. or the WRC car, if it fails 2 fire in the WRC next year, maybe they should do the work to convert them?????

That'd be good for BTCC buisiness.....
Old 30 Aug 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1081325)   #22
oz tourers
Rookie

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\5_1.jpg[/IMG]
here is the pic of the Japanese Impreza touring car, being followed by the lancer evo VII
Old 30 Aug 2004, 09:50 (Ref:1081328)   #23
oz tourers
Rookie

oh sorry, the upload didnt work. i'll try it again later
Old 30 Aug 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1081355)   #24
oz tourers
Rookie

http://www.subaru-msm.com/2002/cal/ses/5_1.jpg
Try this site for a pic of the japanese spec impreza touring car.

www.nutec-japan.com/ 2003race/2003s-tai.htm
This site will show u a pic of the japanese touring car championship mitsubishi lancer.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1081470)   #25
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.nutec-japan.com/2003race/2003s-tai.htm

Should be that for the Lancer.

Lancer's are so pretty!

Subaru get enough press in the UK from their rallying performance though - so they'd have no need to invest in any BTCC activity.

The Lancer's in a similar situation, plus I don't think it'd be legible due to the number of Lancer's UK unit shift (which is probably none from the factory, all imports?)

They could have a go with a Touring Car version of the Carisma or Colt though. I can just see that car getting the Civic Type-R treatment.

Last edited by Hazard; 30 Aug 2004 at 12:37.