Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Dec 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2092977)   #1
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walden Motorsport Forced To Sell Or Lease Licence??

http://www.nmd.com.au/news2/news_detail.cfm?ID=6927
Quote:
"Due to PWR ceasing operation we have lost our level one support, and our naming right sponsor feels that without that support we will not be competitive.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 21:06 (Ref:2092981)   #2
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I particularly liked this quote:

Quote:
said the whole team were guttered
I'm having trouble imagining a team with gutters running around them!

But what is probably worse about this is that a sponsor comes outy and says, outright, they are pulling the pin because the team won;t be competitive - without giving them a chance to show whether they can improve or not.

Ripples throughout the series if more start doing this.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 01:24 (Ref:2093082)   #3
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just do a deal with Walkinshaw, everybody else is getting fleas.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 01:32 (Ref:2093087)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back in the real world...

... if a naming rights sponsor wont play because the team isnt hooked into a L1 squad... you would imagine that after reading that article, there will be perhaps 10 team owners chasing Mr Walden for the contact details.. to get them onto their L1 car instead

Wonder how Mr Romano feels about all of this?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Dec 2007, 02:03 (Ref:2093096)   #5
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even with PWR support, I really don't think that they would have been 'competitive' anyway.............
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 02:27 (Ref:2093106)   #6
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does an ex-BJR Falcon count as a Level One car ?
Old 21 Dec 2007, 03:37 (Ref:2093119)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck
Does an ex-BJR Falcon count as a Level One car ?
Where is the L1 support team coming from though?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Dec 2007, 03:59 (Ref:2093124)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tasman should give Waldo a call might help out with another sponser to and pay the bills with Walden using one of their 2007 cars.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 04:22 (Ref:2093130)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
Tasman should give Waldo a call might help out with another sponser to and pay the bills with Walden using one of their 2007 cars.
Tasman cant keep their own sponsors on the car longer than a race weekend, let alone lending any to someone else
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Dec 2007, 04:38 (Ref:2093133)   #10
Wood-duck
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Where is the L1 support team coming from though?
Depends what you define as 'support' GTR...... 'Support" could come in the form of last year's data from Mssrs Jones (A) and Wills and Unky Brad's mobile # if they run into bother...

It would not be the first time the boundaries of an arrangement been stretched in a creative manner to sway a sponsor on board...
Old 21 Dec 2007, 04:41 (Ref:2093135)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You are presuming there "is" a sponsor
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Dec 2007, 05:37 (Ref:2093148)   #12
Wood-duck
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
You are presuming there "is" a sponsor
Well, the likelihood of that is, well, minute....

Given the lack of sponsors on the "spirit of Sydney" livery, My theory is that without the PWR support, they will be unable to put a reasonable proposal to anybody and is it easier to say "we have had a sponsor pull out" than say "we cant find a sponsor" and without our "Level One" "suppor group" we are stuffed....

One would think V8SA would have seen through this for what it really is... a daydream....
Old 21 Dec 2007, 06:29 (Ref:2093162)   #13
NewsStalker
Veteran

Or maybe V8SA simply wants to reduce the number of available 'licences' by one - again...? (what's thre current buyback scheme worth?)
Old 21 Dec 2007, 08:00 (Ref:2093193)   #14
Suttory
Racer

Australia
Too far away from a racetrack !
Suttory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could probly still run a Fujitsu entry. Theres a couple of VZ's still on the market and they still have the ex Porter equipment.

"You could call it Falcon Unbelievable!"
Old 21 Dec 2007, 12:16 (Ref:2093292)   #15
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presumably a few teams said no before they got to PWR...
Old 21 Dec 2007, 12:36 (Ref:2093299)   #16
888_1
Rookie

Australia
Surrounded by walls & under a roof....
888_1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly a lot of negativity here. At least Brian & his blokes are giving it a go. Are any of you nay sayers in a position to do better???? I know i am not. They might not have the results of most teams out there, but they don't have the budget either.

2008 V8 Supercab Champion will be ..................

Vale Ashley Cooper 11/07/1980-25/02/2008
Gone but not Forgotten
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:08 (Ref:2093327)   #17
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, if i was the Walden's (and i'm not) i would lease the licence for a year and then try again in 09 to get support.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:13 (Ref:2093330)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being an encumbered license, it can't actually be leased, can it?

So sale or running under the name of the license holder are the only 2 options
Old 21 Dec 2007, 20:35 (Ref:2093529)   #19
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone care? Really, I would prefer to see some established Fujitsu runners ahead of these guys.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 21:28 (Ref:2093542)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend
Does anyone care? Really, I would prefer to see some established Fujitsu runners ahead of these guys.
There are likely no more Fujitsu runners with a $2m operating budget in their back pocket available to do this....

... certainly there is an issue with car specification, with only the VE & BF eligible in the main series in 2008... such that a VZ just wont cut it... and any BA needs an update of aero, roof vent etc etc to be the "right" spec to run
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Dec 2007, 23:15 (Ref:2093580)   #21
panel damage
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
panel damage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame - I liked Brian Waldens small efforts in 1997 and again a few years ago for Garth - but we could see it coming really. No Sponsor to speak of and those well known former V8 identities rumored to be involved in the team - just gave blank stare and said "thats news to me".
Old 22 Dec 2007, 00:01 (Ref:2093599)   #22
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just off the top of my head, maybe with all the current level 2's being upgraded to level 1 licences, maybe the opportunity has come to recreate the level 2 licence as a halfway house between Fujitsu and Championship.

How about the top 6 Non level 1 teams each year in the fujitsu championship get a entry spot at the enduro's?

It would give them enough time to gear up, is not a heap of cars to have plodders all over the place and would reward performance. It helps breed a team ready to step up to the championship (thus maintaining franchise value) if a slot opens and may even increse the fields and efforts in the fujistu series.

There are obviously holes in this theory (the Fujitsu race clash at Bathurst!)because it took all of about five minutes thought but could this be a basis of creating future championship teams?

Any variations like - a few other non clashing event entries?
Old 22 Dec 2007, 02:20 (Ref:2093625)   #23
Wood-duck
Racer

That is a terrific idea Ross.... and is something that should seriously be on the agenda at V8SA/TEGA. The fujitsu date clash could be fixed, just return it to a non-championship feature race like it was 3-4 years ago...give the teams in the mid-field a chance to have a crack at the front.

I think the commercial benefits would be terrific for Fujitsu teams, the chance to run the two biggest events of the year - on more or less a 'wildcard' basis. 31 cars is ok, but Bathurst would be better with 36-38... and a few new names to add to the grid.

One of the dramas i forsee is the "level 1" teams poaching the prime fujitsu talent as co-drivers.. most of them get snapped up year on year, for main game seat warming roles - Luke Youlden is a regular...

The "no two main game drivers together" rule, if it ever comes to fruition, will probably make this 'poaching' worse.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 03:38 (Ref:2093638)   #24
NewsStalker
Veteran

The only problem I can foresee would be the outcries from some of the main game teams if (when??) they get beaten by any of the Fujitsu cars.

Rick is bad enough now - what would he be like if he were beaten and/or outpaced by a Fujistsu car?
Old 22 Dec 2007, 05:06 (Ref:2093649)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
The only problem I can foresee would be the outcries from some of the main game teams if (when??) they get beaten by any of the Fujitsu cars.

Rick is bad enough now - what would he be like if he were beaten and/or outpaced by a Fujistsu car?
I say tough, pick up the pace, this is motor racing after all.

Good idea Ross. I don't see the problem with it.