Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1562181)   #1
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trailer wheelclamps

I appreciate that it's impossible to make your trailer completely pikey-proof, but are they any wheelclamp type products which are particularly recommended for that odd occasion when the trailer can't be locked away?

Mike
Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1562186)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have three the guy who sold me the Brian James Tri-Axle gave me. Two are by Brain James one bolts to some special studs on the wheel but I think if you towed it the studs would snap (as has happened) and they would be away. Another is a lock in the actual trailer hitch so with out the key the buggers can't open the hitch but they would probably lash it on with rope till they get it somewhere thay can drill it out.

The third and probably the most effective is not a BJ product and is basically a big U shaped clamp that goes around the wheel, I will look later and tell you the name of the product but the guy who sold me the kit reckoned it was the Bee's Nuts.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1562189)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I use a wheel clamp, on the rear wheel as it is a tilt trailer, and a hitch lock. They are not 100% but it would take quite a bit of noise to cut them off.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1562190)   #4
Pistol Pete
Rookie

Scotland
Banbury
Pistol Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take the wheels off mine and take them home when I leave it for any length of time -even when it's locked it (and a hitchlock on it). There's also a car parked infront of it. That is as pikey-proof as I can get for now -especially as they seem to have moved in just round the corner for the last couple of weeks. I daren't even take the car outside to wash it at the moment.

Pete
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1562191)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Or if you have a valuble car or an enclosed trailer maybe this devise could be adabted. http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Wo...unkMonkey4.wmv
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1562194)   #6
MikeBz
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
... but the guy who sold me the kit reckoned it was the Bee's Nuts.
Sounds like the one for me then
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1562265)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBz
Sounds like the one for me then
What the clamp or the trunk device?
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1562292)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBz
I appreciate that it's impossible to make your trailer completely pikey-proof, but are they any wheelclamp type products which are particularly recommended for that odd occasion when the trailer can't be locked away?

Mike
Try here Mike...

http://www.soldsecure.com/

It probably tells you all the gumph on the site, but the basic principal is lock and security device people can't put the "Sold Secure" logo on the kit they sell until the whole device is demonstrated to resist various types of attack for a reasonable length of time. I think they do a downloadable list of which devices have passed and failed.

I saw a video of how they do the testing in a caravan shop a while ago. They were testing wheel clamps (conincidentally), and they made some fairly serious attacks with Blow torches, sledgehammers, lock picking letting the tyres down etc.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1565901)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I just checked Mike, it is one of the Bulldog clamps on BlackCrow's post. I still think the Trunk Monkee on my other post is a better bet though as revenge is sweet :-)
Old 31 Mar 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1566043)   #10
MikeBz
Racer

Thanks Al.

The Trunk Monkey is a good solution for many of today's problems.

Mike
Old 31 Mar 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1566069)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I have three the guy who sold me the Brian James Tri-Axle gave me. Two are by Brain James one bolts to some special studs on the wheel but I think if you towed it the studs would snap (as has happened) and they would be away.
Had that but as you say its more of a deterrrent than an immobiliser. Also difficult to fit in the dark.

Quote:
Another is a lock in the actual trailer hitch so with out the key the buggers can't open the hitch but they would probably lash it on with rope till they get it somewhere thay can drill it out.
Just unbolt the hitch and fit another. Takes about two minutes. Again its a deterrent not an immobiliser.

Quote:
The third and probably the most effective is not a BJ product and is basically a big U shaped clamp that goes around the wheel, I will look later and tell you the name of the product but the guy who sold me the kit reckoned it was the Bee's Nuts.
Got one of those. However this should really accompany a ring concreted into the yard/drive etc. and a massive padlock.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1568509)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I checked at the weekend, another security device the guy had fitted on my trailer which makes sense if using a wheel clamp especially with a tilt bed, is special wheel nuts requiring a special socket, this would stop a thief tilting the bed and whipping the wheel off that is clamped and towing away.