Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 23 May 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1307876)   #1
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blyton accidents

After watching the MDA championship event at blyton yesterday, i have to wonder why there are so many accidents at blyton compaired to other venues?

I think i counted 8 major smashes there yesterday, and the conditions where fairly good to be honest.

Anybody got any vues on this?

I personally would certainly like to see the run off areas (or lack of them) increased and tyres placed infront of steel barriers on the back staright to take some of the impact out of any accidents down there.

si
Old 23 May 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1308081)   #2
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure the dust is an issue too.
Old 23 May 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1308218)   #3
richorton
Racer

richorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigted
Im sure the dust is an issue too.
dust is nt the problem ,Its those big bags of sand and no bloody run off space .Hell that armco bloody hurt yesterday.Wouldnt it be safer to use tyres instead of bags of sand.Those bags dont move if you hit them and i bet to they hurt to.how many cars were wrecked yesterday ? well we counted 8 including mine .how many cars are wrecked at other tracks ,not bloody many and why ,because other tracks have lots of run off space and tyres as armco.
Old 23 May 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1308258)   #4
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was that your new car rich? Or is that having its first run this weekend?
Old 23 May 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1308270)   #5
bigted
Veteran

What bags of sand?
Old 23 May 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1308323)   #6
richorton
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrRACING
Was that your new car rich? Or is that having its first run this weekend?

No it was my old car,new car coming out to play in july,big ted what is in them bags?thought they were sand.new car is going to be yellow as i ve got new sponsor from adlington caravans in chorley.
Old 23 May 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1308325)   #7
j49l
Rookie

United Kingdom
blyton lincs
j49l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you please tell me which Blyton you was at Si,because we was only asked to check out 4 drivers.Three rolls on differant parts of the track,one contact with tyre wall on the bottom bend.No drivers to check after hitting armco or sand bags??????
Old 23 May 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1308346)   #8
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
It was acturally our richard that hit the armco, i was just spectating yesterday. He hit the armco at the end of the back straight and was checked out by the circuit staff, car was recovered by one of the jcb crew.

http://hortonracing.co.uk/hralbums/a...ing2.sized.jpg

The sand bags that ric was talking about where on the entry into the first gravel section near the spectator mound. Maybe if the crop in the middle was cut, everyone might have seen the incidents more clearly..

I know the circuit is popular with most drivers because it's quick, but i'm sure i'm not alone when i say that safety needs to be looked at. How many more cars need to be wrecked before this is looked into?

si
Old 23 May 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1308353)   #9
bigted
Veteran

I must be the Hulk because i was pulling those big bags around during the afternoon, they wer not filled with sand, but full of more bags! I guess the mental trick worked, as you didnt drive in to them but plenty of the quads and superlites did!

Glad you was ok after running down the armco, but consider this
1) if it wasnt straight armco you would have either hit the tyres and got stuck in them
2) you could have been turned around on the straight and be facing the cars following you who would have been unsighted by the vast amounts of dust you blew up
3) you could have bounced in to me!!!!!
Old 23 May 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1308376)   #10
richorton
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sihorton
It was acturally our richard that hit the armco, i was just spectating yesterday. He hit the armco at the end of the back straight and was checked out by the circuit staff, car was recovered by one of the jcb crew.

http://hortonracing.co.uk/hralbums/a...ing2.sized.jpg

The sand bags that ric was talking about where on the entry into the first gravel section near the spectator mound. Maybe if the crop in the middle was cut, everyone might have seen the incidents more clearly..

I know the circuit is popular with most drivers because it's quick, but i'm sure i'm not alone when i say that safety needs to be looked at. How many more cars need to be wrecked before this is looked into?

si
As a driver i agree with you si,Its one of the fastest tracks i ve driven on and i think with fast tracks your safety comes first.if people want to wreck there cars they could of taken there cars just up from the race track and gone banger racing.every time i ve been to byton theres always lots of smashed up cars at the end of the day.you go to other tracks and theres one or two cars not seven or eight like yesterday.I think the track needs widening in different places and a lot more run off space if things go t*ts up.someonesgoing to get really hurt there one day.as for me i wont be racing there again unless things change
Old 23 May 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1308377)   #11
bigted
Veteran

Didnt think you hit the armco that hard, but to bust the rack you must have done!
Old 23 May 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1308397)   #12
richorton
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigted
Didnt think you hit the armco that hard, but to bust the rack you must have done!

Not only snapped the steering rack in half but i need a new seat as its well bent .the whole frame is bent and so was where the seat bolts to the floor of the car.it might not look hard but it bloody felt hard and today am feeling it .its ok people watchin it ,you want to be in a car when you hit something which dont move.it hurts.
Old 23 May 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1308428)   #13
Spunky Munky
Rookie

England
Lincoln
Spunky Munky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When the circuit at Blyton was designed and constructed, it had to be passed by the MSA as safe and certain regulations had to be followed, i.e. run off areas. You dont just build a track and open it. So therefore the track is safe. I have driven prob more laps round there than most, and have never been near that armco in a stockhatch! Have you evr looked the other side of that armco?
Also, how much run off is there at Knockhill on the loose section? Could be measured in millimetres i think.
How much run off is there at Mondello on the loose section?
How much run off is there at Brands along the Knifeedge?
How much run off is there at Lydden altogethor? Not much at all.
Motorsport is dangerous, thats the thrill. I happen to think that Blyton is prob one of the safest tracks there is.
Old 23 May 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1308443)   #14
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sihorton you still haven't explained where the 8 major accidents came from. As has been stated by the people who attend all the incidents that may involve injury, they only went to 4 incidents. No one was taken to hospital so where are your 8 "major" accidents.
Also there is a move away from tyres for the reasons stated by Bigted.
I am all for free speech but please keep things in perspective.
Old 23 May 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1308486)   #15
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
I am all for free speech but please keep things in perspective.
Agreed, I think this thread might be starting to get a bit to heated now, just wanted to make a small statement, not cause arguements.

Regarding the 8 incidents, i'm afraid i don't know all the minicross drivers names i'm afraid, but the drivers i do know that where involved was our richards stockhatch, richard waklings mini, the mini that was parked near us that went end over end 6 times (think his name was clark but might be wrong) and there was another mini that rolled in front of the spectators mound. The rest were just what i saw been dragged back into the paddock area. I'm glad to hear no one was injured apart from the odd bruse and dented pride.

Like i said, i'm not here to cause arguements or get peoples backs up and most people that know me will would say that i'm not a angry / outspoken sort of person, it's just that we have lost 3 cars to this circuit in fairly recent visits.

Si
Old 23 May 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1308501)   #16
richorton
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sihorton
Agreed, I think this thread might be starting to get a bit to heated now, just wanted to make a small statement, not cause arguements.

Regarding the 8 incidents, i'm afraid i don't know all the minicross drivers names i'm afraid, but the drivers i do know that where involved was our richards stockhatch, richard waklings mini, the mini that was parked near us that went end over end 6 times (think his name was clark but might be wrong) and there was another mini that rolled in front of the spectators mound. The rest were just what i saw been dragged back into the paddock area. I'm glad to hear no one was injured apart from the odd bruse and dented pride.

Like i said, i'm not here to cause arguements or get peoples backs up and most people that know me will would say that i'm not a angry / outspoken sort of person, it's just that we have lost 3 cars to this circuit in fairly recent visits.

Si

gareth woods hit the armco and wrote off the front end of his car in the stock hatch class.ok it might of been the last time out for my old car and am not to bothered about it being wrecked to a point.last year there were cones on the inside of the first conner onto the gravel not bloody big bags which looked solid .I remember last year some time there was a 6r4 which hit one of those big white bags and the bag didnt even move.the poor driver had the wind knocked out of him and his car was wrecked .one of the mini cross drivers hit one to and his door was rubbin his steering wheel.these bags of what ever they are justdont seam to move .
Old 23 May 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1308509)   #17
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was my point, please feel free to make statements but lets not sensationalise things. You could have made your piont using richards accident. Cars that roll need space to roll & not all cars that are towed back have had "accidents"
Old 24 May 2005, 01:45 (Ref:1308565)   #18
Rookie

England
Near France
206180 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have crashed at just about every circuit and hit something so does that mean they are all dangerous or should I just slow down a bit and be in control of my car !!!!
Old 24 May 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1308652)   #19
chris cake
Racer

England
LYDDEN HILL
chris cake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i wasn't at Blyton on sunday i have not seen the new layout but.
We all know that the track can bite you hard if you get it wrong through the first two corners.
Ok we are all racers but to win you must finish , you dont win races by crashing!
Ok it has been said that there were cones on the inside of the first corner last year and bags this year . My question is what the hell are you doing there to hit these?
Old 24 May 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1309417)   #20
Pug620
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Pug620 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Si

Were these acidents driver or racing acidents cos i have just finished repairing my car after croft and their was a lot of other paint and dents on my car ie bumper,spoiler,wing,doors and rear Quarters all needing repair or replacment! (i will claim the wing as my fault when i hit the tyres)

I know we all rub when we race but i think we need to clarify by how much we can rub.

I dont try and lean on people too much and occasinaly i have hit other peolpe by acident but i think some people push it too far and hope by hitting other people that they will stay on the track (and may be push other people off).

And dont forget Blyton is a fast demanding track get it wrong and it can hurt!

marty
Old 24 May 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1309445)   #21
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkesfire
Si, Were these acidents driver or racing acidents
Not sure marty which they where, didn't ask the drivers i'm afraid.

Regarding "rubbing", i think we all at somepoint have all taken a bit of panel damage, but i think it's fairly inevitable considering the close racing we have in stock hatch, and it's something we all knew that before we started doing rallycross.
I too have been pulling out a few dents after croft, like you some was my own fault and some was through contact from others, but you fix the panel and go out racing again. I don't think anybody in our championship goes out there thinking that it's banger racing (thank goodness) which is a credit to the drivers in the current championships and the organisers that make sure the racing is as clean as possible.

Maybe Blyton is just one of those track that we don't have much luck at..

Roll on knockhill (not literally )

Si
Old 24 May 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1309454)   #22
richorton
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkesfire
Si

Were these acidents driver or racing acidents cos i have just finished repairing my car after croft and their was a lot of other paint and dents on my car ie bumper,spoiler,wing,doors and rear Quarters all needing repair or replacment! (i will claim the wing as my fault when i hit the tyres)

I know we all rub when we race but i think we need to clarify by how much we can rub.

I dont try and lean on people too much and occasinaly i have hit other peolpe by acident but i think some people push it too far and hope by hitting other people that they will stay on the track (and may be push other people off).

And dont forget Blyton is a fast demanding track get it wrong and it can hurt!

marty

Dont think there is anything wrong with giving someoe a little nudge on the back bumper to say hey am wright behind you can we either up the pace a little or move over your holding me up and you can follow me .I ll hold my hand up here and say i did by acident and it was by acident run up tony lynch back end at blyton.his car just seamed to of stopped and by the time i had noticed it it was to late and bang i ran into him.i did though go and say sorry to him and tell him it was an acident .i did get nudged a few times up the back bumper and nearly got spun out to on the start straight but that to me is racing so i take the rough with the smooth.

show me the way to the big hammer brother
i didnt knock you ,i didnt hit you,i rubbed you and rubbing son is racing
Old 26 May 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1310632)   #23
rockape
Rookie

rockape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a problem with Blyton might lie in one or two of the comments. And I quote "I know the circuit is popular with most drivers because it's quick" Also "It's one of the fastest tracks I've driven on" Does anyone think that within those two comments might lie the answer to some of the spin offs that occured? Maybe some of the drivers are not quite as good as they think they are and get drawn into a race with someone who is just that little bit better than they are, a fast circuit and off they go.
I was at Blyton on Sunday and I didn't see or attend as part of the medical team eight serious accidents. I think Blyton is one of the best circuits I've worked on and all possible safety measures are taken. So lets not blame the track for maybe what is a bit of driver error.
Old 27 May 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1311545)   #24
Nittymaki
Racer

Nittymaki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just a couple of points...
F1 driver s manage to travel at 200mph with an armco alongside them and they manage to avoid it.

Correct me if im wrong put armco's and tyres are put on circuits to mark it out and they are there to be avoided not hit!! if you hit them it hurts!

Also go to any track in europe Valkenswaard is a prime example, 3ft brick wall all around the circuit, no run off area and every driver respects the circuit and avoids the wall therefore no accidents!!

Blyton does have run off areas, blyton is safe and there were only a couple of accidents at the weekend.
Anyway we all know "motorsport is dangerous"

Something to think about!!