Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: How will Racing History View Mikey Andretti?
Mikey is beloved by fans and America's most popular driver. 12 16.44%
Mikey Andretti is Mario's son who used to race in CART after he failed in F1. 34 46.58%
Mikey is a surly deserter who never had time for fans. 20 27.40%
Mikey Andretti? You mean Mario? 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 May 2003, 16:58 (Ref:608102)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Verdict on Michael Andretti

This is Mikey's Last Roundup before he Retires (or should I say Last Roundy Round).

What do you think the Verdict of Fandom on Mikey will be on Monday?
Old 23 May 2003, 17:13 (Ref:608122)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The Verdict of Fandom? Or the Verdict of Macdaddy?

The "casual fan" might pick #1.
But "this fan" is surely going with option #3.
Old 23 May 2003, 17:19 (Ref:608132)   #3
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to be one of Michael's biggest supporters. As a fan I was treated very, very well by Micheal and the rest of the team. They even gave me a ride to the track from the hotel one morning because my wife wanted to keep the car in town and go shopping instead of watch practice. All I did was ask. (One day I'll get that girl figured out.)

in my opinion however, Micheal went out of bounds with his paddock antics and dissing CART last season. I'm a fan no more.
Old 23 May 2003, 17:42 (Ref:608159)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
The "casual fan" might pick #1.
The casual fan would pick number 4

I've heard some good things about Mikey being nice to individual fans, but my personal experiences have all been negative. My memories of him have to be his hopping out of his race car and onto a motorbike so he could get through the crowds of fans without having to deal with them. This was pretty much his trademark to me, as he seemed to do it after every session. he seemed to act as if he was too good to have to worry about fans. While guys like Paul, Alex (tags and Zanardi) and Pat would walk back and sign as many autographs as possible, Mikey couldn't be bothered.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 May 2003, 17:53 (Ref:608168)   #5
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This article sums up how I feel about little Mikey Andretti...http://www.rfmsports.com/Editorials/...ialsindex.html
Old 23 May 2003, 18:35 (Ref:608198)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't pick #3, because I did get Mikey's autograph on my program back in '89 (I couldn't get Rahal, Mears, Mario, or Emmo, so I settled). So I'll go with #2.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 23 May 2003 at 18:35.
Old 23 May 2003, 19:28 (Ref:608223)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
This article sums up how I feel about little Mikey Andretti...http://www.rfmsports.com/Editorials/...ialsindex.html
That Kate Shaw, quite the controversial one... and what kind of crazy people would be standing in the middle of a soaking, absolutely flooded paddock on a Friday afternoon when there were hardly any other fans to be seen...craziness .
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 May 2003, 20:14 (Ref:608258)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
That Kate Shaw, quite the controversial one... and what kind of crazy people would be standing in the middle of a soaking, absolutely flooded paddock on a Friday afternoon when there were hardly any other fans to be seen...craziness .
Real CARTFANATICS!
Old 23 May 2003, 21:47 (Ref:608331)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
That was pretty crazy though, I remember the water was partway up some of the sidepods of the cars! I was literally hopping from the base of one transport to another to avoid stepping in the massive puddle that formed in the middle of the paddock.
Old 24 May 2003, 01:18 (Ref:608425)   #10
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good editorial KATE. I was not there, but I do have to agree with the sediment. I never really liked him because I thought that he was too impressed with himself. Then around the 2000 andd 2001 seasons I started to warm up to him. I thought he had matured a bit. Then 2002 came along and I saw the error of my ways.

(By the way, I'd stand in the rain just to be around the whole atmosphere.)
Old 24 May 2003, 02:04 (Ref:608445)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted option #2.
Old 24 May 2003, 02:12 (Ref:608447)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, that was a blasted TORNADO, that was. A lot of Thunder Alley ended up beating you home to Ottawa!

Out of 600 some responses that editorial got, only two people defended Mikey as The Salt of the Earth. One of them works for him. Go figure.
Old 24 May 2003, 04:07 (Ref:608482)   #13
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
This boy could never keep his head straight!
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...5600&pt=bidpay
Old 24 May 2003, 04:29 (Ref:608487)   #14
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's sick!
Old 24 May 2003, 04:37 (Ref:608489)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
picture that thing serving you a slurpy!
Old 24 May 2003, 06:02 (Ref:608505)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think to casual American open wheel fans Michael is still a big name and a substantial part of modern/recent racing. As it's been mentioned CART spent a lot of money marketing him. At a lot of pre-races they'd mention his name, it ment something, even if we know there's a little more to the story. I don't think the F1 problems tarnish his reputation much in north america. (sadly it seems to have forever ruined CART's reputation for many Europeans) Regardless of how we feel about him, he was a very talented driver and probably didn't achieve what he was capable of.
Old 24 May 2003, 10:13 (Ref:608583)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#2 for me. After all, people always tend to look at F1 as the most important championship, and he was a failure there.
Old 24 May 2003, 15:53 (Ref:608757)   #18
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tailwind
I was not there, but I do have to agree with the sediment.
I dunno if that was a typo, but it's pretty funny Here's mud in your eye, Mikey!

I voted #2. Never had any first hand experience of him, but few who did ever had a good word to say about him. An ass.

Last edited by Testure; 24 May 2003 at 15:53.
Old 24 May 2003, 15:57 (Ref:608759)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Spent tons of time in the paddocks, and Andretti was always the most unapproachable. No wait - check that. Villeneuve and Montoya were fan-unfriendly as well.

Throughout Andretti's career, whenever somebody asked me who I was rooting for during a race, I'd always answer, "I like 'em all, don't care who wins, so long as it's not Andretti."
Old 24 May 2003, 16:35 (Ref:608792)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
No wait - check that. Villeneuve and Montoya were fan-unfriendly as well.
Actually yeah, forgot about Monotoya. Andretti just ignored the fans, Montoya would tell them to go ' off!'. That video of him yelling at the camera man in the F1 paddock was something most Cart fans already knew.
Old 24 May 2003, 17:31 (Ref:608823)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Stolen from the family photo album...
Old 24 May 2003, 18:23 (Ref:608851)   #22
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What a strange looking enima!
Old 24 May 2003, 18:36 (Ref:608860)   #23
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big Irl Fan's Input:

MIChheal ANdretti – Gawd FOR craps sakes get over it will ya? FIRst this pucnk bad mouths the IRl for damed neer seven years and then he wines his way into getting a special lap before ever damed IRl race? What the Hell is that all aboutHAy Mikey just quit will ya? TEHn he tried to get on our good side by dam near killen his dada last month but that dintt happenn. Now weer sposed to cheer for ya? Fat chances frutty cupper.. Hire some damed Americuns if you want our supports. THat JIM Beem car was made for SCOtt Harrington
Old 25 May 2003, 02:13 (Ref:609151)   #24
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
[url]http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2003/05/24/94534.html

Last edited by Dov; 25 May 2003 at 02:13.
Old 25 May 2003, 02:15 (Ref:609152)   #25
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/Toron.../24/94534.html