Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Apr 2004, 03:37 (Ref:946260)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TSN Kendall and talking head boring guy

watched the race last night as a friend taped it for me. I must say that I may next time watch the race live on hte french channel, because the TSN coverage-shown at 11:30pm Sun night, was a real disappointment for me. Kendall is alright, but the stereotypical "talking-head-FM-radio-voice-guy-who-doesn't-know-squat-about-racing-really" just plain bugged me.

How was the Spike commentary? How does it compare to last years CART races? Anyway, the "other guy" on TSN was making me sleepy (okay, I watched therace after seeing the Canadians win the Boston-Habs series, but still)

Its a drag, cuz some exciting commentary by someone who really knows his orher stuff would be a plus for me.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 04:21 (Ref:946281)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
TSN = Spike.
Same broadcast. Same commentators.
Just like last year, when TSN = Speed.

TSN has bought the rights to broadcast all non-CBS races in Canada. I suppose that this year, that means all of 'em. They will black out Spike every raceday, mark my words. The reasoning behind this legislation is that TSN shows Canadian commercials, whereas Spike is American.

And so, we Canadians had better buckle our seatbelts.
TSN is about to peeve us, once again.
But don't bother emailing them, you might as well email the Easter Bunny.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 11:39 (Ref:946575)   #3
CART_4ever
Rookie

CART_4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope you're not talking about Bob Jenkins. He has been commenting on auto racing for years, and I thought he did a great job for his first Champ Car race.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 12:00 (Ref:946602)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite the fact that he didn't know the cars (he had everybody involved in the first lap accident EXCEPT the people who were involved in it) and he referred to Herdez as "Heardies" ... and several times said "The Yellow Car" and mistook Phillipe for Lavin more than once.

Could we take up a collection and buy him a Spotter Guide?
Old 21 Apr 2004, 14:02 (Ref:946731)   #5
CART_4ever
Rookie

CART_4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, there were a couple mistakes... "Herdies" was funny, but let's give the new guy a break.? At least he's not Dennis Miller.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 14:25 (Ref:946741)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, but he seems to be the "Clone of Paul Page"...another guy who should do his homework before he goes on the air to make a fool of himself when he is supposed to know what he is talking about....

Whether it is "Herdies" or "Tar-zoh Mahr-kee," a simple check with the PR guy for the respective tams to be sure to pronounce the owner's or the driver's names correctly taks 30 seconds to do...

and I agree, Liz...let's pass the hat to buy him a Spotter's Guide...

The lead commentator for a professional, major league racing series should be able to present himself, and the series, professionally when his image and/or voice is being transmitted into millions of homes in North America....

Sorry, but there is no excuse for it...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 16:11 (Ref:946830)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FYI: TSN did end up showing the race at the same time as Spike (4PM). They scheduled it for 11:30 and then the day of broadcasted it at the proper time. Only by chance I got to watch it at that time.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 18:41 (Ref:946974)   #8
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Bob Jenkins anti-CART over the last few years?
Old 21 Apr 2004, 18:52 (Ref:946985)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
Wasn't Bob Jenkins anti-CART over the last few years?
No.

His job was to commentate on the IRL, but he wasn't anti-CART
Old 21 Apr 2004, 21:54 (Ref:947174)   #10
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
glad to see that others weren't impressed. You see, don't get me wrong, I sound like an uneducated moron when I speak in front of crowds and am boring as hell, but to mispronounce driver names is a real no-no. I would have to say that when watching other series like MotoGp or whatever, where the announcers have both knowledge and flair in their voices and or inane comments, it makes commentary like that seem so much worse. I'll take mistakes here and there over an engaging talker, with real enthousiam, not a sort of slick-FM-voice sort of thing as I described it.

anyway, just my opinion, and remember , I sound like a dufus in public speaking.

and whaddya mean the Easter Bunny isn't going to answer my email! No chocolate for you buddy.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 23:28 (Ref:947305)   #11
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yah that "tarzoh markee" comment gave me a little laugh :P
Old 22 Apr 2004, 05:38 (Ref:947480)   #12
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by CART_4ever
I hope you're not talking about Bob Jenkins.
I'm afraid we are talking about Bob Jenkins. Washed up, boring, uninformed, pick your adjective. Not even a remote comparison with Bob Varsha who set a pretty high standard for open wheel racing in previous years. Spike and OWRS might want to re-evaluate their choice of their anchorman before the season gets too far along. Instead of a ring, it sounded like a thud for 2 hours.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 08:57 (Ref:947623)   #13
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
Who's the guy on Speed with a bit of a higher voice that did the WRC races last year? I'd like to see him do Champ Car races. He's very knowledgeable and quick witted.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 11:00 (Ref:947707)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, since they fired him, I think he may be available. That was Rick DeBruhl, I think, who yelled "Play Ball!" when the lights went out before Formula One races.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 18:31 (Ref:948140)   #15
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
Not him. I'll find his name and post it here.