Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Aug 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1393124)   #1
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CHARLES ZWOLSMAN-2005 Toyota Atlantic Champion (Spoiler included)

6th Place was good enough for the Dutchman to win the championship in Montreal by 16 points over Tonis Kasemets. Kasemets finished 2nd to Antoine Bessette who gets his 2nd win for the year. Pole man David Martinez was 3rd with Legge 4th.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1393136)   #2
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Charles!

Now hopefully the Champcar test at Sebring goes well and we'll see him racing in Mexico!
Old 28 Aug 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1393140)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Frankly, that Charles Zwolsman is champion only goes to show the poor standard of driver in Atlantic this year.

He was decidedly average when he raced in series with depth.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1393168)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Frankly, that Charles Zwolsman is champion only goes to show the poor standard of driver in Atlantic this year.

He was decidedly average when he raced in series with depth.
So if they are 'poor' drivers, have you actually seen a race from Formula Atlantic this year?
Old 28 Aug 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1393185)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 28 Aug 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1393201)   #6
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to Charles, but I agree with K-B.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1393205)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
To be honost I also think K-B is right, but still it's nice a Dutchman has won the championship.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1393215)   #8
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
To be honost I also think K-B is right, but still it's nice a Dutchman has won the championship.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 05:15 (Ref:1393443)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
So if they are 'poor' drivers, have you actually seen a race from Formula Atlantic this year?

Yes, I have.

The standard of driver is down on what it was last year and considerably down on what one would find in an equivalent European series.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1394939)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Frankly, that Charles Zwolsman is champion only goes to show the poor standard of driver in Atlantic this year. He was decidedly average when he raced in series with depth.
As I've said before, a case can be made that mid-high level Formula Atlantics drivers are better than F3000 champs.

In all seriousness, we all know that the quality of the field was down in Atlantics this year, but I certainly would not go so far as to say that Zwolsman stinks and everyone there is garbage. Zwolsman looked pretty handy in a number of races.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1394982)   #11
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
As I've said before, a case can be made that mid-high level Formula Atlantics drivers are better than F3000 champs.

In all seriousness, we all know that the quality of the field was down in Atlantics this year, but I certainly would not go so far as to say that Zwolsman stinks and everyone there is garbage. Zwolsman looked pretty handy in a number of races.

Let him race a champcar and he'll prove you wrong. Not that he stinks, but he's just not good enough.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1394998)   #12
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
Let him race a champcar and he'll prove you wrong. Not that he stinks, but he's just not good enough.
Good to see that you support your fellow countryman!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1395003)   #13
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Good to see that you support your fellow countryman!
I'm not biased as a lot of people on these fora are. Zwolsman is a fine driver and of course, as a fellow Dutchman, I like to see him winning a prestigious championship. But let's be honest. The overall level was very low this year. In five years time 'nobody' wil remember how he got his title, but at this moment we see he was extremely lucky to not have any real competition. If he's wise he now turns to GT racing or something like that, because going up the ladder in champcars will turn out to be an embarresement.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1395012)   #14
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
If he's wise he now turns to GT racing or something like that, because going up the ladder in champcars will turn out to be an embarresement.
Yes, although he has always done single-seaters so I doubt he would go GT racing.

Last edited by macdaddy; 30 Aug 2005 at 22:42. Reason: No slamming of any other series on this board.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1395020)   #15
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Edit: This post is in response to the previous, which has been editted. Thus, the fluidity of the thread might be lost a little...

IRL is a form of motorsport that is not much appriciated where I live...
I mentioned GT racing because I think Charles has reached his peak (gone over it, actually) in single seaters and now it's time for cashing. I expect he can get a fair contract and start earning some money after winning this title. It's time for common sense now and I hope he realises that he's just not up to it, when it comes to the next step in single seaters. Time to collect some money!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1395027)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The title of this thread contains one of the most ineffective warnings I've ever seen.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1395029)   #17
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
OK, macdaddy, I understand why you intervened. I'm not fluent in English but, as you, I had the same feeling about the remarks I read. It is such a shame that on this board discussions to often tend to go towards the old, well known, issues. I'll try to rephrase it: I don't think that Charles is (or will ever be) ready to compete in IRL or Champcars. Racing a single seater on ovals on high speed requires a specific talent, racing them on a road course requires another. In both cases Charles would fail. (Phew, come on boys, get over it )
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1395033)   #18
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
The title of this thread contains one of the most ineffective warnings I've ever seen.
Thanks for mentioning that. Since I'm not a native English speaker I actually don't understand what is meant here. Can you please use other words to explain to me what this (spoiler included) means?
Old 31 Aug 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1395060)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Dutch chap...

Intervention was minor, nothing to be worried about. One sentence was removed. At least I'm glad you understand.

Also, the term "spoiler" is used as a warning. If a thread title contains that word, then it's safe to assume that race results will be given somewhere within. In other words, if you haven't seen the race yet and plan to in the near future, don't read the thread or else it will ruin it for you. It's a common courtesy and something that we try to encourage our members to do.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 01:07 (Ref:1395080)   #20
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
back on track with my cable out and this drought of races, i have been watching the old archives from way back in 2003, and if the argument that charles won his champinship more because of a weaken field instead of talent the same can be said about PT when he won his championship in 2003 in an extremely weaken field with more than half rookies lots of inferior of equipment (the reynards).
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1401500)   #21
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Rime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't agree with my fellow dutchman about the skills of Charles Zwolsman. Don't forget he would be a European Formula Renault champion if it was not for some guy called Felipe Massa who ran him of the road and took the title...

I do think he could surprise a few people here if het gets the chance to drive a ChampCar.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1401575)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rime
I don't agree with my fellow dutchman about the skills of Charles Zwolsman. Don't forget he would be a European Formula Renault champion if it was not for some guy called Felipe Massa who ran him of the road and took the title...

I do think he could surprise a few people here if het gets the chance to drive a ChampCar.
I have to admit I was forgotten that 2nd place.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1401818)   #23
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd forgotten about that too.

He certainly had two poor Euro F3 seasons, but looking at it...

In 2003 his teammates at Kolles, Jan Heylen and replacement Jamie Green, fared little better, and were both consistently outqualified (in every race but 1) by Zwolsman. Then again, his 2004 season at Manor with Lewis Hamilton was less excusable...

I don't think anyone can realistically claim Atlantics this year compared in driver strength even closely to similar European series; that's not Eurocentric bias, it's just logic.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1401821)   #24
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, and in his part-season of 2002 (German F3) he somehow qualified on pole for his first F3 race, before descending into mediocrity compared to Kolles teammate Joao Paulo de Oliveira.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1402257)   #25
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Rime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem in the F3 Euroseries is that there are many different engines, chassis and teams. For example ASM is about a second faster than every other team so it´s hard to compare drivers in this championship.