Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1025929)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What it takes to be tactically brilliant.

Lets have a closer look at what it takes to make that four stopper work. To give some credit to Schumacher and Brawn.

Race distance: 70 laps.
Thus a three stopper roughly four stints of 17/18 laps. A four stopper is five stints of 14 laps.
On average Alonso had 8.5laps of fuel aboard and Schumacher 7 laps of fuel. Over the entire distance on average Schumacher was running 1.5 laps lighter than Alonso.

Total Time in the pits:
Alonso (3 stops 14, 32, 46): 1:03.198
Schumacher (4 stops 11, 29, 42, 58): 1:18.545
So Schumacher had to make up 15.347s over the race distance. Or 0.22s a lap. Not a lot.
However he really needs to do it before his final stop because otherwise he'll be stuck behind the Renault and need a vast advantage to overtake. In addition he was behind the Renault for the first couple of stints.

Another factor that helped Michael is that he will generally got to run on newer tyres. Specifically those early laps when they are best. He used this to take the lead after on lap 33. He banged in a 15.8s and a 15.377 (the fastest lap of the race) while Alonso was doing 16.8s on low fuel, but old tyres.

And there is more to the tyres. Michael got to run on the softer Bridgestones to Rubens.

Generally then, looking at this I think it shows that a four stopper isn't outrageous. Hindsight eh! Although the risky part is whether Michael would get stuck in traffic and his first stop showed it might have been a problem.

Another good thing about a four stopper is that it is easy to convert from or too a three stopper. The difference in laps is only 3 or 4. However the difference between a 2 and 3 is 6 laps. So it aids flexibility.

One other point. I think that Renault got a little spooked. They compromised Alonso's race pace by having such a short third stint (trying to react to Ferrari?). This meant that Alonso had a very long race stint, which reduced the chance of him responding to Michael towards the end.

Ferrari did well and perhaps did the sensible thing not the risky thing! This is the trick to a good win though and, of course, no other team used a four stop strategy.

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Jul 2004 at 17:34.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 17:56 (Ref:1025939)   #2
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"no risk, no fun" if i remember correctly is what MS said afterwards.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1025959)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: What it takes to be tactically brilliant.

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

Total Time in the pits:
Alonso (3 stops 14, 32, 46): 1:03.198
Schumacher (4 stops 11, 29, 42, 58): 1:18.545
So Schumacher had to make up 15.347s over the race distance. Or 0.22s a lap. Not a lot.
That's not quite right, because the time in the pits doesn't consider the fact that it takes time to cover that section of the track anyway, so in reality Michael only had about half of that time to make up.

Otherwise, good analysis, that should show how they got the win. It's definately been one of the best displays from the entire team, in a rac ethey shoudln't've been able to win
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1025961)   #4
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The Speed Channel crew (Bob Varsha, David Hobbes and Steve Matchett were pretty much giving the race to Alonso. Then after the second stop Michael put his head down and after the third one he really got down to business turning 1:14.1's - absolutely phenomenal!

They have the equipment, the engineers and the driver that get the job done. Plain and simple. The same announcing crew couldn't say enough about the planning and the execution of the strategy.

One of the smartest races ever run, imho.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1025968)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: What it takes to be tactically brilliant.

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
............no other team used a four stop strategy.
Except Jordan.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1025971)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Being serious. Well thought through Adam. I was gobsmacked when I saw the gap before the final (4th) stop.

As I said elsewhere, the others weren't even trying today. RB was on a mission though.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1025982)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Alot of this hinged on Renault taking the bait. They short filled Alonso thinking Michael was doing the same. By the time they realised they had been tricked, Alonso was carrying half a race of fuel.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1025987)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Softer tyres and an inherently faster car helped too, but hats off to them!
Old 5 Jul 2004, 03:49 (Ref:1026323)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Magny-Cours is the only place this could have worked, due to the pit lane being so short.

Imo, Renault "aided" the Ferrari victory when the pulled Trulli in before Alonso. Had Alonso not have lost so much time whilst Michael was setting those fast laps, he may just have got out in front and ruined Ross's stratergy.

Oh well, look for all teams on a 4 stopper in France next year
Old 5 Jul 2004, 06:33 (Ref:1026364)   #10
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ferrari has finally struck upon a clever little bit. The fact that other teams often react to Ferrari as opposed to running there race. I can gaurantee you that Alonso would have won had any person besides Michael been leading...and not just because of Michaels string of fast laps
Old 5 Jul 2004, 06:35 (Ref:1026366)   #11
shelsleyF2
Rookie

shelsleyF2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso and Renault gave up track pos'n?

Accepting Brawn's brilliant tactical gamble, was there a point at which Renault should have realised how much fuel MS had on board and brought Alonso in early short filled him new tyres etc and got him out infront of MS instead of staying out and watching there track pos'n slowly dissapear?. Or have I missed something, watching Alonso sliding around for 5 laps on worn tyres and giving time away each lap.....could it have been played any other way by Renault.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 07:03 (Ref:1026383)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Welcome shelsleyF2.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 07:42 (Ref:1026401)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed welcome to 10 tenths - enjoy.

Once again, a masterclass in race winning by the Brawn/Schumacher duo.

As we heard this weekend on the 'meet the team feature' on ITV, Schumacher is feeding data back to the team all the time, on the state of the tyres, the car's overall performance, track conditions, weak points of other cars, etc - which Ross then sticks into his mix and between them they devise the strategy, which is then reliant on Michael putting in those searing laps around the pit window, and the team doing a quick turnaround.

All in all, it's brilliant TEAM work, a combination of clever thinking and perfect execution by the driver and pit crew.

No other teams seem to have the consistent 'thinking on their feet' approach that Brawn and Ferrari do, hence their reactive qualities are not as good as Ferrari.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 07:56 (Ref:1026417)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Firstly, credit needs to be given to Ferrari Strategist Luca Baldisserri, he's the one who suggested a four stopper as a possibility.

This is a race Renault should/would/could have won rather easily. Ferrari knew it would be a hard race if they are to fight Renault on the same strategy.

And it's a calculated risk, with benefits far outweighing the relatively small risk. But still, credit must be given to Ferrari to make the bold step.

And perhaps, it is here where we can be critical of Renault for actually "helping" Ferrari out. They should have known the characteristics of their tyres, and either work around the capabilities of their tyres as planned, or be more flexible in responding to Ferrari's changing strategy.

On hindsight, it's easy to claim that the whole strategy Ferrari employ is easy. But the thing is nobody knew what pace and what strategy the others would be using for sure...and Ferrari responded well in adapting their strategy to their capabilities, and MS did what the team expected in putting in very quick lap times where it mattered.

Renault and alonso looks beaten after the race, in fact, they seem to be helplessly watching the race win slip away from their hands during the race. And they know they lost the chance of victory at their home race.

If Renault have been smart and quick enough, they could have figured MS's strategy and easily counter it with a four stopper themselves...because the Michelins work beautifully on short term, not long distances...and the outright pace of Renault/new Michelins would be enough to meet MS's challenge. instead, they pitted Alonso too late for a 4-stopper switch, and too early which made Alonso run his last stint for longer than his tyres prefer.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 09:54 (Ref:1026484)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, but once again from rival teams it's all 'if's and but's', seemingly Ferrari only ever execute the correct strategy, at the right time.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1026496)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Of course the five stop strategy they'll be using at the British GP with extra sticky soft tyres will top this effort.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1026527)   #17
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

And perhaps, it is here where we can be critical of Renault for actually "helping" Ferrari out. They should have known the characteristics of their tyres, and either work around the capabilities of their tyres as planned, or be more flexible in responding to Ferrari's changing strategy.
Whilst I agree with the majority of your post; Renault did not have full knowledge of their tires performance envelope due to the wet practice. This of course was the same for Ferrari, which in turn could have lead to their innovative strategy.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 Jul 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1026647)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Of course the five stop strategy they'll be using at the British GP with extra sticky soft tyres will top this effort.

Hell, let's have him stop every other lap..........
Old 5 Jul 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1026682)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The team aspect though is what won this - they have confidence in the data and the interpretation of the data they give to each other. For example, Michael's assessment of what Alnso could/could not do at particular points in his stints would affect greatly the decisions made.

They mesh amazingly well at the Scuderia Ferrari.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1026699)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A great strategy, but you also need a bloody fast car to pull it off.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1026714)   #21
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
here's the saddest driver quote after an event I have seen for a race fan - it is an edited part:

"We might have won on a normal three stop, but this would have involved passing cars on the track."

I've always been in awe of Schumacher's ability as a driver but the game has gotten silly when this is an accepted part of "Racing".
Old 5 Jul 2004, 13:33 (Ref:1026718)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fantastic strategy by the Ferrari guys... whod have thought!
Old 5 Jul 2004, 16:48 (Ref:1026926)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
deeks....pleae tell me that is not an actual quote!

BAN REFUELLING! BAN REFUELLING! BAN REFUELLING!
Old 5 Jul 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1026943)   #24
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
here's the saddest driver quote after an event I have seen for a race fan - it is an edited part:

"We might have won on a normal three stop, but this would have involved passing cars on the track."

I've always been in awe of Schumacher's ability as a driver but the game has gotten silly when this is an accepted part of "Racing".
Indeed it is, but whose fault is it that pitstop-strategy is to prefer over battling it out on track? Certainly not the drivers' fault.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1026988)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And now there is a thread about that: Was F1 better without refuelling?