Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1029288)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota tyre-change?

According to tomorrow's Autosport, Toyota is looking to switch to Bridgestone tyres next year.

It says that is also likely to mean Sauber changing to Michelin.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1029298)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
for Toyota is not that impossible . but for Sauber it doesn;t make sense . they have . and will have a mini Ferrari car . designed to use the bridgestones .. so wouldn't it be harder for them ??

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Jul 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1029300)   #3
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It seems logical as they are a Japanese team and engine suplier its a wonder why they wern't on bridgestones when they entered f1. Sauber to michelin???? Seems a bit dodgy seeing as tho they are so tied in with ferrari. Could they be testing the rubber to give feedback to ferrari so they can change??? Who knows
Old 7 Jul 2004, 16:49 (Ref:1029417)   #4
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Toyota choosed Michelins because they used Michelin in WRC.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1029427)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i doubt Michelin will except Sauber with their Ferrari connections...
Old 7 Jul 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1029432)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The quotes from Peter Sauber say he's unhappy with Bridgestone tyres.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1029438)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've long wondered why Toyota doesn't want to join BS.

People talk about BS favouring Ferrari, but if there's any team that can overcome this barrier, it is Toyota.

Toyota would have the might and attraction to at least get them equal treatment as Ferrari, and Toyota would also have the capability to do constructive tyre testings on par with Ferrari's level (something which no other BS runners can match), and that would help them strike a deal that's balanced.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1029456)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesn't say much for F1 if you need a Toyota-sized wallet to have any importance. How can McLaren have not been important enough for Bridgestone, consdering their heritage, power, wealth and competitiveness?

I'm not sure Toyota would actually be able to prise support away from Ferrari, in the near future at least. No one in their team is of the same capability as Ferrari's (although Gascoyne is good, Rory Byrne is more proven). Maybe they're thinking that Bridgestone will be sole supplier in 2006, and are looking long-term to gain experience on them?
Old 7 Jul 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1029458)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Doesn't say much for F1 if you need a Toyota-sized wallet to have any importance. How can McLaren have not been important enough for Bridgestone, consdering their heritage, power, wealth and competitiveness?
It's only like Honda changing from Williams to McLaren in the '80s. I don't think it is needing to be big, more that Toyota have offered something that is attractive. Or Bridgestone have. I wouldn't read too much into this in those terms - I think it is just one of those changes that happens. If it happens
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Maybe they're thinking that Bridgestone will be sole supplier in 2006, and are looking long-term to gain experience on them?
I'm not sure this is important. The tyres and logisitics will change dramatically when if it goes to a single tyre manufacturer.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 18:05 (Ref:1029486)   #10
Tamás
Rookie

Tamás should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot understand why Toyota wants to use other tyres. Yes, it's a fact that the French factory isn't the best this year. But in 2003 they were more efficient than Bridgestones. It's fully incalculable which will be better.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1029551)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
It's only like Honda changing from Williams to McLaren in the '80s. I don't think it is needing to be big, more that Toyota have offered something that is attractive. Or Bridgestone have. I wouldn't read too much into this in those terms - I think it is just one of those changes that happens. If it happens
I don't think I made myself clear. I was following on from Gt_r's theory, and applying it to the fact that McLaren chose to switch to Michelin even when Bridgestone were far superior, because even then Ferrari were dictating Bridgestone policy and development.

The Honda thing is interesting - I read in one book (Christopher Hilton's Mansell book I think) that Honda felt thaat they didn't get enough credit for the wins - people saw it as Williams assisted by Honda, rather than Honda having the biggest effect. After 1988 this appeared to change, because McLaren went from occasional wins to dominance, and Williams from a comfortable title win to only 2 podiums all year. Not entirely on-topic, but interesting I think.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1029573)   #12
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Michelin allowing Sauber to use their tyres - smacks of F1 dodginess...unless Peter Sauber has that Mercedes engine deal in the bag that has been rumoured for a year or two now...interesting.

Toyota to Bridgestone? Also interesting - hope they don't think it will solve all their problems...
Old 7 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1029609)   #13
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
tyre change for Toyota...

I find that interseting news Kicking-back. It is only speculation as this stage, however it does raise some intriguing questions.

It does make sense that a Japanese team be using a Japanese tyre, however I just hope that they will receive fair and equal treatment from the company. No blatant favourtism towards Ferrari. This is one of the problems the sport has with the exclusive deal bewteen Ferrari and Bridgestone. If any team can compete with Ferrari in terms of budget, it is Toyota. I wonder how Ferrari would feel if they received the dirty end of the stick? I'd be curious to see just how they would cope with the favourtism if it were directed at a team another than themselves.

Dan Fielden:

Could they be testing the rubber to give feedback to Ferrari so they can change?

Maybe so. Or perhaps Ferrari want to gain the knowledge to better understand the tyres strengths and weaknesses. The levels this team will go to to gain an advantage are literally amazing!

I would like to see one tyre supplier with no favourtism towards one team. The FIA could greatly increase it's appeal if they were act in this manner.

Tye
Old 7 Jul 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1029624)   #14
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
I would go the other way to Tye to spice up F1 i would like to see a tyre war between BS, MCL and Good Year that would spice things up a bit.

Admitadly off topic

But as Tamás says in 03 Michelin were superior in Europe but this Year has Bridgestone and Ferrari all over it. I think if Toyota went bridgstone and had Ralfy and Christiano as their drivers they would improve.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1029629)   #15
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
spice of life!

Well Dan, you do know that variety is the spice of life!

Tye
Old 7 Jul 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1029632)   #16
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little insight into the tyre deals for you.
If a team,say BMW/Williams,signs a contract with a tyre supplier there are two was in which to pay for the product.
1.Open the wallet ie:BAR Minardi
2.Do a deal that sees all production cars ie 323i M3 etc being produced come on that companies product.(Michelin)
The same can be said for Benz Renault and a lesser extent Jag.The same can be said for Audi and Porche in the ALMS series.
Most production Toyotas come on a Bridgestone with the exception of a couple of models so it would not without reason a deal could be done.

The Grumpy1
Old 7 Jul 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1029664)   #17
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Re: spice of life!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tye
Well Dan, you do know that variety is the spice of life!

Tye
INDEED
Old 8 Jul 2004, 01:36 (Ref:1029774)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haha..now once again it's Ferrari trying some low tricks to send Sauber as a spy at Michelin... WoW

Why not suggest that Minardi/Jordan are doing exactly that for Jaguar/Michelin? Simply, it's ridiculous...nothing but imagination.

As for the Mclaren switching over to Michelin, i would actually think Toyota stand a higher chance of striking a good deal with BS, irregardless of Ferrari.

Toyota could offer a very significant commercial deal, just like Ferrari offered BS tyres as options on their road car - Toyota could offer a real big carrot which i think BS would find hard to turn down.

Furthermore, Toyota and BS are both Jap companies and the link and discussions would be far more easier than Mclaren and BS. And like it or not, for all of Mclaren's wealth, heritage, brand-power ... Ferrari is just that level above Mclaren still when it comes to discussing a deal.

Read recently IIRC an interview of DR, and he said he got tyres from BS free, while Michelin charges them a hefty sum... if so, i think hardly anybody can complain BS for inferior treatment and praise Michelin for treating BAR better..