Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2004, 13:45 (Ref:950130)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KR's Engine change...Necessity or Strategy?

Another engine change for Kimi's McLaren. Speedvision reported that it may be a strategy issue. Will a higher strung race spec engine be any better while starting from the back? This is what Ross B. was referring to when he commented on the engine rules.

Again, I wanted to puke after watching McLaren's performance. Every race weekend I TRY to be optimistic, but it seems that McLaren's problems are far worse than I will ever want to admit to. Oh well, I guess I can only HOPE for KR to win the race from the back.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 13:48 (Ref:950133)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was definitely necessity.

You wouldn't do that by choice.

Things will get better - and McLaren will be at the front again, but it'll take a while to sort out.

Keep the faith, man.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 13:50 (Ref:950137)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Necessity... i dont think they throw 8th or 9th on the grid for a better engine starting last!!
Old 24 Apr 2004, 14:01 (Ref:950145)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Necessity..Mclaren seem to already decide to change the engine BEFORE the quals, and ran the car just to season the tyres abit.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 16:06 (Ref:950208)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Non-necessity.

If Kimi had qualified 8-10th, chances are he wouldn't pass any of the better cars on a track like Imola. But start from the rear with a hotter engine, and you'll be able to pass quite a few of the back-markers, and maybe get a decent mid-field finish, there-by making yourself look pretty good.

McLaren are desperate right now, and are looking for any way to look good, and get Kimi a finish.

Brawn has a point...

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Apr 2004, 19:26 (Ref:950315)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So considering he finishes, which isn't a given with any of the curent merc engines, he either starts mid-field and finishes mid-field or he starts last and finishes mid-field. Interesting strategy!
I think it was out of neccessity. let the mechanics pore over the engine before it has to race.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Apr 2004, 19:29 (Ref:950317)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Hard to see the McLaren Turtle getting to the finish before the Merc BBQ's itself.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 19:41 (Ref:950319)   #8
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forgive the ignorance, but how different is the race day engine spec going to be?
Old 24 Apr 2004, 19:59 (Ref:950332)   #9
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Things will get better - and McLaren will be at the front again, but it'll take a while to sort out.
[/B]
i'd say it'll take until next season the way things are going for them now....they haven't looked this bad in quite some time...
Old 24 Apr 2004, 20:18 (Ref:950349)   #10
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sad for Kimi, but I think the macaroon is gonna blowout it's coconut again in the race.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 21:11 (Ref:950406)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oh come on!
How the hell is starting from the back of the grid "good strategy"
Old 24 Apr 2004, 23:25 (Ref:950478)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto, pirenzo...

Still, 1995 and 1996 were still worse than this. At least the car was uglier back then!
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:06 (Ref:950555)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't is supposed to be better after coming back to Europe AND have a 3 week break to sort out the problems?

Mclaren ought to sack everyone and then hire the whos and whats of BAR!

Did BAR and Mclaren switch sides????
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:23 (Ref:950561)   #14
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is the telemetry said the motor was not going to make it. No way would they put a 400 mile lump in when the 800 mile motors all blow up by 150! Even changing fuel strategy would make an already midfield performer fight through the pack and hope to make gains when the rest started to pit.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:53 (Ref:950567)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by gi_gav
forgive the ignorance, but how different is the race day engine spec going to be?
Its brand new... so should be a little further away from blowing up than an engine with a couple of hundred kliks of practice and qualifying aboard

I loved the cartoon in Autosport a couple of weeks ago, Schuey and Rubens showing some grills they have over their air intakes in Bahrain... Rubens has a fine one, and says its to keep out the sand... Schuey has a bigger one... says its to keep out Merc engine bits... with a pic of a car and a "boom" blowing up in the background....

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:57 (Ref:950568)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Isn't is supposed to be better after coming back to Europe AND have a 3 week break to sort out the problems?

I was thinking more about how much the Ilmor Honda IRL program was absorbing resources, especially when the 3 Litre engine is now in force for Indy and beyond... that must be sucking some of the lifeblood out of the Merc program!!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Apr 2004, 03:03 (Ref:950570)   #17
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gi_gav
I thought it had more to do with mass of pistons and other key parts that effect reciprocating mass and durability. If you dont have to use it to qualify it only needs to go half as long.(and can rev a bit higher)
Old 25 Apr 2004, 04:32 (Ref:950589)   #18
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it had more to do with mass of pistons and other key parts that effect reciprocating mass and durability. If you dont have to use it to qualify it only needs to go half as long.(and can rev a bit higher) [/QUOTE]

It will still go BANG before 20 laps are done.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 05:03 (Ref:950601)   #19
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

I think the Mc problem is huge that it may take them the whole season to get back to competetiveness because it seems to me that they need a completely new car..

anyway, back to the thread, I think it is a necessity....they might be mounting a new engine different from DC......which has just arrived?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 05:09 (Ref:950604)   #20
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think how Montoya will be feeling guys.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 05:35 (Ref:950608)   #21
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No there is no strategy going on here :lol:

The merc engineers found a problem exaust valve seat (by telemetery? imressive!) and they don't admit such problems lightly
Old 25 Apr 2004, 05:46 (Ref:950609)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Exhaust valve seat? Ah.. when the piston hit it at 18,000+rpm it detonated
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Apr 2004, 08:17 (Ref:950665)   #23
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the quote in a report on the Bahrain GP, which said "McLaren started from the pit lane to optimise Kimi's engine. It remained optimised for precisely 9 laps."
Old 25 Apr 2004, 08:27 (Ref:950672)   #24
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could they not go to their local dump and pick out an engine from last year ??
Old 25 Apr 2004, 10:50 (Ref:950782)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This year, engines need to run for the entire weekend, not jsut the race (otherwise the 10-place penalty is imposed, whcih would've happened here), so last year's engines aren't of use for the whole weekend, as they weren't optimised to last. However, they may have put last year's engine in now, as they know that it's generally relaible and proven for pace.

The advantage to starting last, as well as having a fresh engine, is that they canf uel the car up as much as they like, and could be better placed if it rains. However I think in this case I think they knew the engine in teh car was likely to fail, and decided that at lest this way he has the chance to survive and pick up points.