Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:13 (Ref:671077)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Itv "petition": Air Your Constructive Views!!!!!

As the ITV coverage of F1 weakens by the fortnight and viewers become increasingly unsettled, it makes good sense to let the channel know what people feel. They say they value feedback so let's give them some.

On this thread I want you to leave any criticism you have of ITV's coverage. You can also suggest some improvements and even tell them what you like about it.

Please note though - this is intended to be serious, and therefore any criticism must be carefully considered and portrayed. Any petty remarks about James Allen for example will be instantly ignored and not put forward, so please don't do that.

Once the thread has run its course I will send the results off in some form to ITV and we'll see what they say.

So please, if you have anything to say, good or bad, please post to this thread! We need as much feedback as possible off this one!

BE SENSIBLE!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:15 (Ref:671082)   #2
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can you make 630 posts in two months and say BE SENSIBLE?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:25 (Ref:671087)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
knowlesy, is goign for a petition. Of course our main problem is that we carried away with amusing James Allen quotes!

It seems that most people are in agreement - ITV's coverage leads a lot to be desired. Can we do something about it? Maybe, let's see.

Of course, good points are just as important, this way the problems can be solved and the good poitn sbuilt upon. What I'm trying to say is if you were in charge of ITV's Sport how would you make the GP coverage better (ignoring the fact that for some reason you keep winning awards! ).
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:28 (Ref:671091)   #4
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's not a great deal to do in Whitehaven, JR

At the start (was it last year or 2001? Or before that! :confused: ) I was quite impressed with ITV's coverage. We should try to remember what the BBC's was like without rose-tinted specs - the race itself was good, but the pre- and post- was practically non-existent.

ITV brought a new level of in depth coverage either side of the race. It was a refreshing change, and provided a little more insight into the weekend as a whole and some of the 'behind the scenes' action (or politics, as we call it).

Unfortunately, the quality of that coverage really seems to have dived this season. There seems to have been a real dumbing down, a new emphasis on irrelevant celebrities, almost like they're trying to appeal to new viewers with no F1 knowledge (or interest!). Have they got a new producer or something?

The 'access all areas' with a different team each race has been good, even if some of the questions asked have been a bit banal (again, dumbing down?).

Maybe through digital, I'd like to be able to turn James Allen's volume off but keep Martin's on!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:30 (Ref:671094)   #5
perminder
Racer

United Kingdom
in my house
perminder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly cut back on the number of ad breaks throughout the coverage
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:31 (Ref:671097)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The digital point is an interesting one. AFAIK ITV don't have the option of digital coverage, but it is probably worth mentioning so that ITV as a whole know we like things like that.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:32 (Ref:671099)   #7
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see why James Allen gets so much stick. He has to appeal to the enthusiast and the casual watcher at the same time.

I turn on for the racing cars, not the commentary.

We do forget the overall BBC coverage was terrible and Murray Walker may have been passionate but he clearly couldn't tell the difference between a red car and a blue car. In fact, he belongs with Silverstone - firmly in the past.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:33 (Ref:671101)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
errrr, what's actualy wrong with their coverage? it is light years away from what the BBC used to produce and at least they don't cut it short for tennis or football.
Maybe I have missed something, or just don't watch as closely as I used to, in which case then maybe that's what is wrong with it, it doesnt keep your attention.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:34 (Ref:671103)   #9
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, I don't think fewer ad breaks is a go-er - they need the revenue to pay Bernie's rights for screening it!

But, again this season it seems, the timing of ad breaks has been appalling! I know they have to fit a certain number in, but I'm sure they've had the leeway in the past to stick with the coverage for a minute or two if something vaguely significant is happening (like the end of the race, for example )...

Last edited by garcon; 25 Jul 2003 at 13:35.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:10 (Ref:671122)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Beverly Turner stretches it a bit sometimes..Louise Goodman I like, but she at least has a clue what shes talking about
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:21 (Ref:671131)   #11
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Louise is fine.

But can we please get rid of the B-woman! She's there to show people what it's like for the corporate/hospitality side that Bernie panders to; she's not there to show what it's like for the spectators. She's also there for two other reasons - both of which she flaunts at every opportunity.

Other than that, ITV's coverage is pretty-good. At least we get coverage which is more than a lot of others do. I find myself relaying live qualifying to 2 people in Australia via MSN because their F1-Live or whatever connections are much slower.

Martin is a great asset to the team and Ted isn't bad either.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:25 (Ref:671134)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know.... I don't think it's that bad. I've seen a lot worse coverage of motorsport - such as the old ESPN coverage of Cart and now IRL - that was awful. They'd cut into the race already started and be rolling the closing credits in the last laps of the race! THe broadcast would end as soon the winner crossed the line. And there were so many commercials you'd forget there was a race on. There could be pass for teh lead about to happen, and they'd go to a break!

Come to think of it, ITV's coverage is pretty good. Compare it with Speed's coverage in the US and you won't be complaining. ITV has a pre-race show, shows the race in its entirety with a reasonable number of commercial breaks which are usually well placed when nothing's happening - can't be perfect, but they're not bad. They have decent shots this year, pitlane correspondants and driver interviews (Speed doesn't have these). Then they show the podium celebration and post-race press conference in theri entireties. No, compared to other race broadcasts, ITV looks pretty good.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:30 (Ref:671136)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thing that is better this year is the amount of on-board footage.
This has been tempered somewhat by the badly timed breaks which never used to happen.
Presenters wise it's not great - Jim Rosenthal isn't the most well-informed of people, Beverley Turner has been talked about by others on this thread.
The commentary needs worked on: James Allen needs to listen to one of his commentaries to realise that there is no chemistry between him and the excellent Brundle and that he makes too many mistakes. Is this down to a lack of research?
Also, things have been simplified rather in the pre-race show - this seems like a panic reaction to falling viewing figures. Bring in some deeper, F1 RELATED, stories.
The meet the team feature is excellent although it suffers from some simplification.
It is just lots of problems that mount up to make it seem much worse than it perhaps really is.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:33 (Ref:671138)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're being a little too picky about things like commentators, side stories and such... Forget about all the little extras and just be thankful that you get good coverage of the race - that's more than a lot of people do.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:34 (Ref:671139)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
She's also there for two other reasons - both of which she flaunts at every opportunity.

And whats wrong with that? Makes their service a bit more bearable

Agreed, on your bit about Martin being their greatest asset, and they would be totally lost without him. For me, James Allen, needs to be replaced from the commentry booth and put back as a pit lane reporter where he was top notch. Imo, he's not commentator material, and still asks Martin the most stupid questions or makes the most stupid statements. (Yes, i know that Murray did too, but that was something we grew up with and as a consequence, dealt with).

I suppose that i was spoilt last year as i paid extra for Bernie vision, which was a brilliant service (even if they did pick the most boring year in F1 history to show it in the UK, but qualifying was excellent) And now everything will pale by comparison. But please, ITV, get Ben Edwards to team up alongside Martin. A guy who knows his stuff and doesn't make ridiculous statements.

Unfortunatly though, i don't think they will, unless James resigns, (or Martin does, which would be a travesty and we'd be left in the same situation as now, 1 good commentator, 1 bad one), because if they do, then thats like admitting their mistake in promoting James.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:35 (Ref:671140)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Germans get the best F1 coverage .....ITV have a hell of a lot to learn about what people want to see...

Do race fans really want to see Previews of terminator 3 just because Arnie is at silverstone....id much rather see someone like Peter Windsor walking around the paddock telling us juicy bits of gossip that is coming out of the pit garages anyday !
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:39 (Ref:671144)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Peter Windsor......now there's a man with a lot of enthusiasm and knowledge for the sport.
Let's not forget john Watson.......his efforts for Eurosport and F1 Digital were very commendable indeed!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:51 (Ref:671151)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
INFACT,.........If ITV wanted to learn about how to produce top class F1 coverage .i would suggest these things.....

1, Hire Peter Windsor , Ben Edwards , John Watson Immediatley

2 , Watch some videos of Skys production from last year....and copy there format and style and content ( snazzy camera angles are not needed if the coverage and content is good in the first place )

3 , Give us some excitiment , let us get the feel of what its really like buzzing around in the paddock....

4 , as horrible as it sounds , put Jim back to football coverage and give us people like Perry Mcarthy , Damon Hill , and Allard Kallf from early Eurosport days and others to aire their views in the studios ...

5 , Start showing live friday qualifying and warm up if it existed on ITV 2 ...and give the us people something to enjoy.

Last edited by Sato san; 25 Jul 2003 at 14:55.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:13 (Ref:671175)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know Knowlesy has said to be sensible but here's an entertaining idea..
Kick out James Allen and bring in Bernie Ecclestone as co-commentator to Martain Brundle.
WE could have BRDC VS FIA in the commentry box!!
That's ofcourse if the Silverstone issue is not solved till Hockenheim.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:16 (Ref:671179)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
INFACT,.........If ITV wanted to learn about how to produce top class F1 coverage .i would suggest these things.....

1, Hire Peter Windsor , Ben Edwards , John Watson Immediatley

Forget John Watson, retain Martin Brundle.

Give Matthew Lorenzo, Jim Rosenstiels job.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:25 (Ref:671186)   #21
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all!
I'm gonna make list of my gripes as I'm too hungover to make a coherent.........

1. Agree with garcon about the "dumbing down" with the sport/celebrity crossover thing. Its detracting from the main event. I want to see the drivers meetings, team factories etc

2. Ad breaks are a pain but generally timed as well as possible, when the race has settled into a rhythm for example. The BGP was an exception as nothing seemed to settle ! They are a necessary evil but I do protest the jump to an ad break on the victory lap or parc ferme.

3.Not keen on the "this is a car" thing. Its not very constructive or informative and I find it to be very condescending to the viewer. We know what a car is and that it goes fast, this is why we watch your wretched programme! Also the chummy "banter" between Footie Jim
and Cheesy Tony must stop! Its quite clear that Jim has not much interest beyond the FA cup final, and it would be nice to have an anchor man who knows what he/she's talking about.

4. Allen has to go ! Enthusiastic yes, but someone who is obviously biased toward one team/driver should not be commentating. I'm leaving Martin alone as he does give good technical info.

5. I would be good to see all qualifying live (and the warm ups, but its not essential) including the USGP, CGP, BrazilGP instead of PJ and Duncan!

Overall it would be good to drop the gameshow/novelty format and concentrate on F1
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:34 (Ref:671193)   #22
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The coverage we get now is better than it's ever been!

Robert
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:28 (Ref:671249)   #23
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would be nice to get rid of all these 'problems' but realistically shouldn't we just be glad to get a programme that is only second rate to germany (what i have made from this discussion). The germans get a good hour of analysis before and after each race, every race - and i for one can never see itv being able to keep to something like that - with all the other 'quality' programming they need to fit in!

If a duff over enthusiastic commentator and a couple of badly timed ad breaks is all we have to endure surely its no where near as bad as it could be!

I think we should be extremely greatful for what we have - because its improved a hell of a lot since when itv first got it! and at least they are trying with all these dirrerent items each week! give them a break!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 17:00 (Ref:671274)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No don't give them a break! We have far too many of those in the races......

But seriously, I don't think it has improved at all. The breaks used to be timed really well and the analysis wasn't so annoyingly simple.
I will come up with some other suggestions which I can't type out now because i am about to go to bed. Night-night.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 18:06 (Ref:671306)   #25
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing that annoys me most is the timing of ad breaks, sometimes they can't help it but its frustrating when you miss the moment the championship is decided (1998), or the end of the race (2003) or a man running down the track (2003 again). Also I dont like how they put 15 minutes worth of ad breaks withinb 25 minutes.... its kinda takin the p.