Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Feb 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1219772)   #1
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Wolf Henzler

I do not usually post here and I am not real familiar these days with the sportscar world so please forgiven the ill-informed intrusion!

I watched a great deal of the Daytona 24 Hour and was really impressed with one Wolf Henzler who was driving one of the GT class Porsches.

I know nothing of his history, but based on what I saw he can really bring it! You would have thought his car was classified in between DP and GT. Made me think of another guy who was really quick in a Porsche from a year or two back: Danny Ongais. Not as electric as Danny, but boy, he had that Porsche haulin'!

Who is this guy?

Thanks!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1219808)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Hey John, if you SPEED reruns the Porsche Super Cup highlights from 2004, tune it in. Henzler owned that competition in 2004, against the regulars and the ringers brought in for special appearances. After seeing those highlights, I wasn't surprised with the run they had at Daytona.

And Danny On-The-Gas was more then a few years ago, but still a great memory!

robert
Old 7 Feb 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1219821)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had a great race at Daytona, and somehow he managed to make his Porsche GT3 stand out from all of the others.

This was his first race at Daytona, and not only did he start on the pole in GT, and not only was he the GT class winner, but he broke into the top 10 overall. Not bad for his first race there. Hopefully, we'll be seeing this guy in DP's real soon...

Is he doing the full GA season?

Last edited by GP Racer; 7 Feb 2005 at 22:20.

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Feb 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1219822)   #4
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did some years of F3 and Porsche Carrera Cup before
Old 7 Feb 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1219823)   #5
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw it mentioned somewhere that he was a new Porsche factory driver. Is that true?
Old 8 Feb 2005, 01:37 (Ref:1219922)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
He had a great race at Daytona, and somehow he managed to make his Porsche GT3 stand out from all of the others.
I recon you could say that he stood out from all the others based on driving talent.....

SPEED had Porsche Super Cup on as a highlights show, all races condensed into I think two hours. I wish I had taped it. Henzler ran rings around everyone, including Rockenfeller and Long making guest appearances. Upon being interviewed after races, they had little to say other then he had out run them fair and square. Very interesting. Those two are Porsche Factory drivers and I don't know if Henzler is or not. I would be shocked if he wasn't, but racing is like that.

robert
Old 8 Feb 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1219932)   #7
iconic
Racer

iconic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wolf also did a few guest porchse races in world challenge.. ending up winning those races i think.. how long has wolf been racing porchses? more than a couple of years?
Old 8 Feb 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1219934)   #8
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he started to race in the Porsche Supercup in 2000, before that only Formula

Last edited by flor; 8 Feb 2005 at 02:01.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 02:30 (Ref:1219942)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Great info! Thanks for the detailed responses.

Wolf impressed the h-e-double hockeysticks out of me, I can tell you! If I owned a team I would have him under contract right quick.

You wonder how many guys like him are out there flying under the radar who have not (and maybe never will) get a chance to shine. He sure took advantage of the moment.

I will watch Speed for the re-run.!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 04:25 (Ref:1219987)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When he raced in Speed World Challenge in Sonoma for the first time, he and Phil McClure in a Corvette laid down identical qualifying times. I never saw anything like that in my life. The race was fabulous. And Henzler is a modest, quiet man who seems a little surprised that anybody was watching. I like that in a driver.
Old 9 Feb 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1220795)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some stats:
http://www.farnbacher-racing.com/en/whenzler.htm
Old 9 Feb 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1220894)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have watched Wolf through supercup last year and the daytona race this year ad he is magic in a porsche- he should go far, it is a wonder why he was never snatched up earliier by a mega team