Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Aug 2003, 19:09 (Ref:677414)   #1
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advice please

I am hoping that some of you might have some advice as to how I can persuade my partner that marshalling is not as dangerous/scary/boring as she seems to think it is.
She's totally against going to a circuit to see what happens, so that approach is no go. How have you dealt with this problem?
Old 1 Aug 2003, 19:18 (Ref:677422)   #2
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the only way is to persuade her to go along. Maybe not on track but something like startline, pits or even the same as my mother who has worked on race phones for the last 10 years after just going along to see what I was up too.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 19:20 (Ref:677423)   #3
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Advice please

Quote:
Originally posted by beefy
I am hoping that some of you might have some advice as to how I can persuade my partner that marshalling is not as dangerous/scary/boring as she seems to think it is.
She's totally against going to a circuit to see what happens, so that approach is no go. How have you dealt with this problem?
As a marshal's "widow" I can only say that unless your partner has some form of interest in motor racing then alas it will be boring....

I have been with my hubby for 7 years now and (touch wood here) he has never even got a scratch.... BUT... that is because he is a very sensible marshal and WILL NOT endanger his life for the sport...

My advice is to assure your partner that you have no intention of being silly and putting yourself in any danger..... Oh and practise your running!!!!!

Old 1 Aug 2003, 22:07 (Ref:677533)   #4
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
And I'd have to add, given the numbers of marshals that do marshal, accidents that involve the marshals themselves are so rare, they are almost not worth worrying about.

Of course, I was the exception to this rule, so hopefully all marshals should be safe for the next 20-30 years!!!!!!!

It's a case of weighing up what's a risk you're prepared to take - it's percentagewise more dangerous to cross the road on a pedestrian crossing (two way traffic, people of differing driving abilities, etc) than to attend a race track (all drivers in same direction, of a certain skill level, etc).

And there's plenty of jobs both trackside and in the paddock, where cars aren't at racing speeds, to be considered.

Try and bring your good half alone - she might even get hooked herself!!!!!

Steve
Old 2 Aug 2003, 07:17 (Ref:677692)   #5
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Steve. I'll mention that stat to my wife! They're all good points and well made. Thank you to all who've replied so far!
Old 2 Aug 2003, 10:32 (Ref:677757)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My wife really doesn't like motorsport, but she helped out in the office at Shelsley just for something to do. She progressed to Course Control and has now started going out on the bank. She loves marshalling, although she's still not very keen on motorsport.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 21:21 (Ref:678971)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
marshalling is not as dangerous/scary/boring
:confused:

OK - Dangerous. There are lots of places where the "danger" (low though most of us think it is in absolute terms) is only the same as for the public or nearly so. Working upwards; Race control, Paddock, Assembly area, Pits to name but the most obvious. She can then see at close-ish quarters how things are and how they look trackside and work out what she is comfortable with. Lots of people to talk to and explore their view (and not just your biased one ).

Scary. Otherside of dangerous and can only be assessed by her. Some people like scarey - Alton Towers, others hate it. If not Course then Flag might appeal.

Boring. Well that's something only she can put her finger on. Show her (as a spectator) a really good race meeting. Whether really good is F1 or a Castle Combe or Mallory clubbie is the difficult thing to work out.

Otherwise why not get her to train as Rescue crew. No danger, a quiet life (well remember the 99 to 1 ratio) and loads of nice people to talk to or doze quietly.

More seriously, I am sure we could organise a visit to any of the above (except perhaps the RU until she has some trackside experience ) so that she could see if anything appeals. Away from whereever you are working so no pressure or expectations.

Best wishes

Jim
Old 3 Aug 2003, 22:30 (Ref:679019)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You may (or may not) also like to mention the number of female marshals that actively participate. It just goes to show that it's not a "boy" thing!