Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 23 Jul 2001, 08:59 (Ref:120440)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sachsenring

Not the most inspiring of races but a well-ridden race by Biaggi gave him victory over team-mate Checa. The Yamaha seemed to really suit the circuit, considering the top 4 at the finish were all Yamahas, something no-one would have predicted 4 or 5 years ago.

Shinya Nakano delivered on some of that promise with an excellent third, his first podium, after a race long battle with Abe-san. Abe was unlucky not to finish on the podium too, but only the top 3 get on there!!!

As for Rossi, he'd better not make a habit of qualfiying 11th. He might have done it at Donington, but Sachsenring is a completely different proposition, and he paid the price for it. Luckily he managed to finish and leads by 10 points into the break.

Who now has the psychological adavantage? Rossi or Biaggi?
After qualifying, should Criville call it quits?
And will any of this year's rookies be able to win a race?
Old 24 Jul 2001, 02:11 (Ref:120851)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i dont think biaggi or rossi have an edge over each other.....max has done well considering valentino won the first 3 races

criville should do what ever he thinks fit - you only get one career at the top.....

i dont think a rookie will win - nakano ....olivier jacque's riding well now, its a pity he had that pre-season crash
Old 24 Jul 2001, 12:29 (Ref:121088)   #3
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a kinda funny race. Max was so smooth though, a good win, he made it look easy. As I've said before, give Max a "perfect" bike and he is unbeatable. Its hard to understand why the second pack was something like 14 sec. off the leaders?? I guess Checa deserves a pat on the back too (when those two ride like that, Checa always makes me think he is Max's little brother, just following, not getting in the way). LOL

The actual TV coverage was pretty average (or below average) especally the sound. The editing was real **** the riders popped into the screan and then vanished out the other side, then a second wait and then they would pop back in again, I didn't find it that fun to watch. Those German's should get some tips from the Italains about race filming. The Italains film the corners not the straights!!! In Australia we missed 3 laps (18 to 21) due to some reason or another.

The race for me was Shinya Nakano's effort!! He bridged a major gap to the leaders, and pulled himself onto the podium with one lap to go and Abe didn't even look like getting by him.

One other fact stands out for me is that Brendan Clarke set the fastest race lap of all the V-twins, a 1'29.273!!! (lap 9 of 18).
Anthony West was teh second fastest V-twin with a best race lap time was 1'29.278 (lap 13 of 30). It was a shame that Clarke crashed out otherwise maybe others would have picked up on that stat.

250 & 125 I must say it was great to see a bit of Italian passion at the top of the podium. Sanna and Melandri victory lap celebrations make you wish you were there!

As a big Katoh fan, I did want him to win, but you could tell that was being careful and once Harada was behind him he was content with second. But a bloody good come back from Marco after making a mistake on the second last lap. His first win in 250's. Marco came 5th last year so this victory makes me wonder how the guy who came 6th in the 250 world championship last year (a certain Ant West) would be going if he was in 250's.

What is peoples opinion on West? I would love to see him back on a factory 250 next year (he is only 20yrs.) He is a great rider! 500's can wait. I just want him to cut his teeth with a few 250 victories and a 250 world championship!!
Old 25 Jul 2001, 10:01 (Ref:121475)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
very good point asha , young ant would be doing far better than emilio alzamora on the factory honda, you would even have to say that if ant was on that bike (nsr 250) he would be doing better than rob rolfo (aprilia) who has had a fantastic season (4th in points)......ant came 6th last year and cant score a factory ride , its a pity that honda and katoh didnt get shell advance sponsorship .....cant understand that aussie hardwick signing 2 brit riders on 500's in 2001 (nothing against walker & haslam), but the v-twin honda is a waste of time - in my opinion should have gone walker on v4, west on nsr250 and haslam (who is young) another season on the 125 or a tsr 250 - look at them now - what were they thinking....
Old 25 Jul 2001, 13:53 (Ref:121554)   #5
asha
Veteran

I agree gomick.
But now it seems that Brendan Clarke will be getting the V-twin for the rest of the session. At least he is a aussie! However, he is going to have his work cut out for him!

The Shell Advance team, need to have a hard look in the mirror, and ask themselves what they are trying to acheive? Do they want to keep dumping promising riders or do they want to make one a champ!?
Old 26 Jul 2001, 08:54 (Ref:121970)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
if that is the case asha, good luck to brendan , but if a gp falls on the same weekend as the last round of the oz road racing championships , i hope brendan comes home and races as he is a definate chance of winning the aussie 250 proddies and 600 supersport titles - no one has done that before.....and i would rather (as an 18 year old) have that on my cv than a 15th place finish in say for example the czech 500 gp when you have an exciting future ahead.....i will have to check my dates to see if that was the case

Last edited by gomick; 26 Jul 2001 at 08:54.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 13:00 (Ref:122594)   #7
asha
Veteran

I can't see him finishing any championship in australia personally.
Sad but true, but I do agree with you!
Old 28 Jul 2001, 16:18 (Ref:123085)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
i think your right.....brendan hasnt qualified (or shown up ) in mallala - round 4 of the oz sbk championship - very disappointing, brendan surely wasnt injured is his crash in the 500 gp was he - if he wasnt, where the hell is he (he should be at mallala )