Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Jan 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3194674)   #1
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BIG Bertha

Its a long time since I posted, Talking to somebody the other day they were saying Big Bertha was 11" wider than stock, Looking at pictures it looks thats not to be the case, if that was so all the lights and the grill would have had to be custom made to get the proportions correct. My memories of the rules concerning supersaloons were the screen has to be a factory item, or factory size, the screen aperture and A/B posts had to be steel so factory size doors fitted, Im arguing the ventora shell was basically to stock dimensions as were all the supersaloons after all it was a silhouette formula.
I would quite happily accept that baby bertha was 11" wider due to the wing extensions fitted.
anybody help??
Old 27 Jan 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3194830)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory I would doubt that Big Bertha was 11 inches wider than a standard Ventora unless the front wheel arch lip extensions made it so.
As to A and B pillars and screen surround having to be steel I'm not sure that is correct as all the Skodas (and some others) had fibreglass bodies. Widening was allowed as the silhouette was from side profile only (I think!).
Old 27 Jan 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3194871)   #3
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was megga birtha ( the unfinished cavalier)that was wider than the standard how they did it i don't no because like you rightly say the standard screen has to be used .big bertha was defiantly standard width
Old 27 Jan 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3194881)   #4
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Gentlemen, I agree the chin spoiler and wing extensions do have the effect of making it look much wider, the other thing that struck me that makes it look different, is the flush fitting windows, and deep dish wheels obviously do too,
Old 5 Feb 2013, 15:55 (Ref:3199636)   #5
JTL392
Rookie

JTL392 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Maurice Winch's widened Anglia in the 60s,don't suppose anyone would have a decent photo of it
Old 6 Feb 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3200386)   #6
OpelOmegaEvolution500
Rookie

England
OpelOmegaEvolution500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big Bertha

Not sure of the width of Bertha,but I believe it was a standard Ventora bodyshell with fibreglass one piece front end,fibreglass bootlid and doors.
The gutters were removed,flush side glass fitted and the bodwork smoothed out.
The car appears wider "from the waist down" in some pictures.
HTH
Dave
Droop Snoot Group

by the way Mega Bertha is still around I believe and may be seen soon.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3200412)   #7
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL392 View Post
I remember Maurice Winch's widened Anglia in the 60s,don't suppose anyone would have a decent photo of it
No but a couple of references that I had originally posted in the Chassis History forum:

Maurice Winch Anglia 1.6 twin cam (Wanglia) – modified by putting a 6-inch wide strip down the centre (the whole car except the roof was widened) (MN 25-5-67)

For sale: Winch wide-line Anglia, less engine and gearbox, £225, Wynn-Williams, Billericay (MN 19-12-68)
Old 12 Feb 2013, 10:41 (Ref:3203412)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpelOmegaEvolution500 View Post
Not sure of the width of Bertha,but I believe it was a standard Ventora bodyshell with fibreglass one piece front end,fibreglass bootlid and doors.
The gutters were removed,flush side glass fitted and the bodwork smoothed out.
The car appears wider "from the waist down" in some pictures.
HTH
Dave
Droop Snoot Group

by the way Mega Bertha is still around I believe and may be seen soon.
The Cavalier coupe 'ultimate' Bertha??!!!!

Where's it been hiding all these years?
Old 12 Feb 2013, 12:19 (Ref:3203446)   #9
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

As Baby Bertha was still a winner I believe Mega Bertha was only a concept and never built. Certainly not built into a complete car.
Old 12 Feb 2013, 15:46 (Ref:3203545)   #10
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've " Only Here for the Beer" in front of me.Looking at the Cavalier now. A 2.5 litre turbocharged engine was a possibility. There was a contact in the States to use 8.1 litre Reynolds Chevrolet engines as used by the Can-Am Mclarens. Rallying the Chevettes and introducing the Cavalier to Club Racing was "too much" is roughly what's written in the book.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3206775)   #11
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL392 View Post
No idea how to get a picture on here but if you care to PM me with an e-mail address I'll send you a picture of the Winch Wanglia I took at Snetterton in August 1967.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3238332)   #12
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Hasn't been hiding, just not been seen
Old 23 Apr 2013, 11:33 (Ref:3238351)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM View Post
Hasn't been hiding, just not been seen
Are you saying that it was built in period, Gregor? Everything I ever heard about it was that it was only a concept and never built. Or at least never completed. There have been rumours recently that a 'replica' has been built (or is in process of being built) - but how do you make a replica of something that never was?
Old 23 Apr 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3238355)   #14
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was built in period but it was never completed, no engine, gearbox or suspension. The main problem was that Vauxhall took on the build instead of DTV and therefore it was slow progress and then Vauxhall canned racing for rallying and it was never finished.
I do have several letters on the subject, one for the McLaren Nicholson engine and another saying that it was going to be ready for the 1976 season and Baby Bertha would be used as a back-up, a bit Like Old Nail to Big Bertha and then Old Nail to Baby Bertha.
I'm not sure exactly what happened from 1976/7 but somehow it ended up in a Bedford dealer in Luton for some time before the dealer went into liquidation and it was then bought from an auction and lived in Scotland for some time before moving to Ireland where it still is.
It is being restored/completed, it was basically a bodyshell on a spaceframe chassis (the wheels were held in place with blocks of wood), so it taking some time, but one day.