Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 6 Jun 2004, 21:53 (Ref:995595)   #1
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BSB Injuries

It's been an eventful days racing, it seems...

John Reynolds broke his collar bone (again), so that's 2 Suzuki riders injured!! Hopefully John should be back out in 2 weeks but will Yukio?

Glen Richards has broken his arm so it looks like he will be out for a few rounds while he heals.

Steve Plater is out for one more round and James Haydon is on the Yamaha at Brands. But could we see him on a Kawasaki next time out?!

And I'm sure Sean Emmett will have some injuries inflicted by Paul Bird after race 1 today!
Old 6 Jun 2004, 22:18 (Ref:995612)   #2
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
And of course I forgot Ryuichi Kiyonari too - did he break his collarbone too and when will he be back?
Old 7 Jun 2004, 07:12 (Ref:995842)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
bad day for the BSB boys.

Lets hope they all mend quickly
Old 7 Jun 2004, 09:04 (Ref:995928)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
do the injuries have anything to do with track safety or was it just a bad day of racing (injuries wise) for a few of the boys
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:32 (Ref:996504)   #5
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Can't remember why Kiyonari was injured but he was back racing at Thruxton. Kagayama fell in qualifying over in Japan and Plater fell at Mondello. Richards and JR also fell in the Thruxton races but I think JR actually hit Lavillas tyre and went down!!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 11:50 (Ref:999569)   #6
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to mention the 2 people in the crowd that were hurt by a flying bike!!!
Old 22 Jun 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1012050)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Deepest sympathy to the family of Darren Mitchell who was killed at Brands this weeknd.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 00:08 (Ref:1012764)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed. RIP.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 09:47 (Ref:1013052)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that is tragedy - darren won the superstock event here at brands this time last year....
this is the 1st i have heard - any details on what actually happened....
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1013109)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to Teletext, he was invovled in a 7-bike pile-up at the start of the race. RIP
Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:58 (Ref:1013448)   #11
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
An official statement from Motor Sport Vision...

MotorSport Vision, the owners of the Brands Hatch circuit in Kent, regret to report that National Superstock Championship rider Darren Mitchell died from injuries sustained in a multiple-bike accident at the track today.

Mr Mitchell (31), who was from Huddersfield, was riding his SM Racing Suzuki GSXR when the accident happened in wet conditions on the first lap of the Superstock Championship race, which was the penultimate race of the day.

The accident, which involved several bikes, happened at 4-55pm on the long straight from Pilgrims Drop to Hawthorns Hill.

Mr Mitchell received treatment at the scene by medical staff from the organising club, the MCRCB, and Brands Hatch. He was transported by Kent Air Ambulance to Maidstone Hospital, where he died from his injuries later in the evening.

MotorSport Vision managing director Jonathan Palmer made this statement after the incident. "This has been a black day for the popular Superstock series and I am so terribly sorry for particularly the family and friends of Darren Mitchell, to whom I extend my deepest sympathies.

"I understand Darren was an immensely popular rider and was the victim of a freak accident in wet conditions in which several other riders were also injured and I very much hope all of these make a full recovery.

"Having been in Race Control immediately after the accident, I would like to pay tribute to the outstanding professionalism of Stuart Higgs, Race Director of MCRCB and Dr Paul Trafford, Chief Medical Officer, and their respective teams. This was a simply dreadful, extensive, accident that must have been enormously demanding to manage."

Several other riders were injured in the incident. Jamie Morley, from Waterlooville in Hampshire, was airlifted by HEMS to London Hospital, where he is receiving treatment for his injuries. The other injured parties were taken by road ambulance to appropriate local hospitals.

Mark Heckles, from Liverpool, sustained a broken leg and was taken to Queen Marys Hospital in Sidcup; Dean Johnson, from Coalville, also suffered a broken leg and was taken to Darenth Valley Hospital in Dartford; Belgian rider Paul Mooijan was transferred to Darenth Valley Hospital and was kept in overnight for observation after sustaining a minor head injury.

Two other riders, Matt Layt and Steve Thompson, rode through the scene and stopped but were uninjured.

I'm sure all our sympathies go to all the family and friends of Darren and that the other riders make a complete recovery. For any of you who were actually at Brands, read this...

Following Sunday's (June 20) tragic incident in the British Superstock cup race at the penultimate race of the Brands Hatch GP round of the British Superbikes, the police have launched an official inquiry.

The incident occurred on the first lap of the Superstock race, which was scheduled to start at 16.35pm. As the front-runners reached Pilgrim's Drop, five riders were involved in a major accident.
Among them was Darren Mitchell, 31, who was airlifted to Maidstone Hospital but later died from his injuries.

North Kent Police ask that anyone who witnessed the incident contact the co-ordinating officer, Damien Lower, on 01474 565188.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1014438)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
thanks for that ATF - hope those other riders recover asap.... sounds like it was one nasty accident.... RIP darren mitchell...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1014517)   #13
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Heckles - where do I know that name from? BSB on a Honda in the past??
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1014692)   #14
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
Mark Heckles - where do I know that name from? BSB on a Honda in the past??
Yeah, Rode alongside Steve Plater on the Honda VTR-SP1, last year if my memory serves me right.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1014751)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
also rode in euro superstock alongside world superbike/supersport 2 or 3 years ago
Old 1 Jul 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1022429)   #16
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
Yeah, Rode alongside Steve Plater on the Honda VTR-SP1, last year if my memory serves me right.
SP2! And he rode a Honda in WSBK 2002, but not as well as Edwards!!!