Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Oct 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1754290)   #1
jonhill
Rookie

jonhill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands 4th Nov: doing something I haven't done for 5 or 6 years...

So this saturday it looks like I'm going to do something I havent done for something like 5 or 6 years - at least since I bought a race car and started (trying) to race myself.

yes... I'm going to go to Brands Hatch as a... paying spectator

I've a friend with two young boys that have never been to a race track, so off we go for a day out, in the pouring rain no doubt. It works for me as I'm thinking of doing the DTRS (or whatever the track, race, dunlop, random, must-look-like-a-tin-top-but-we're-not-always-too-fussed series is called theses days). The thing is though, I'm actually quite interested to see what its a like from the perspective of a paying spectator, and I guess with a surrogate family in tow: will it be nightmare parking, crowds, blocked loo's and £25 for a fat burger? or a fairly chilled afternoon watching some entertaining racing?

we'll have to see...

jon
Old 31 Oct 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1754332)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Jon,

I don't know when you last visited Brands but you will not find blocked loo's! JP has taken a personal interest in everything to do with the circuits, even the food outlets. I am sure you will find it a big change from the old Octagon days.

I hope your friends and their children enjoy their first time at a race track and come back again in the future.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1754371)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I second that Stephen, fantastic improvement and some nice grub to be had. Look out for the DTRC and Classic Touring Car Racing Club's event as both will be great races although I won't be going as I need to recuberate expenses for next season.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1754378)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhill
will it be nightmare parking, crowds, blocked loo's and £25 for a fat burger? or a fairly chilled afternoon watching some entertaining racing?

we'll have to see...

jon
No crowds, you may even find you have the Paddock grandstand all to yourself. The loos are very good and the burgers aren't that bad even though you will pay about £3 for one, even the weather looks like being in the 20s so it won't evenbe a chilled afternoon.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1754405)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I second that Stephen, fantastic improvement and some nice grub to be had. Look out for the DTRC and Classic Touring Car Racing Club's event as both will be great races although I won't be going as I need to recuberate expenses for next season.
You should come and marshal for the day Al
Old 31 Oct 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1754604)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would Stephen honest but I have that much renovation work to do at my shop and that really is why I am not racing.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1754637)   #7
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing starts before lunch on Saturday, at 12.05, although the first race is immediately followed by the lunchbreak.

Trucks are racing so there could be a few spectators.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1754639)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
No crowds, you may even find you have the Paddock grandstand all to yourself.
Not so sure about that - there was quite a healthy crowd (in terms of numbers at least ) at last years truck meeting and the weather was appalling so it should be quite well supported this year.

That won't change the parking situation which has been very good at Brands this year, DTM and BTCC meetings I had no problem with parking, getting into or out of the circuit. Brands is much improved in terms of organisation and facilities. Only negative is that silly new fence at the outside of Druids
Old 1 Nov 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1755577)   #9
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clean toilets with hot water and no putrid smells,good food in all the restaurants,you may even see JP himself on an inspection tour.If you want the old racing circuit toilet facilities you have to go to Lydden or Mallory,but even they have good food.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 6 Nov 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1759368)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eric's right - I was once surprised at Cadwell by Palmer doing a toilet inspection - was half dressed at the time but as others pointed out, at least he did an inspection...!
Old 6 Nov 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1759435)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
No crowds, you may even find you have the Paddock grandstand all to yourself.
I got that a bit wrong didn't I.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1759506)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Indeed you did. Quite a healthy crowd for November huh Eric
Old 7 Nov 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1759972)   #13
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well seeing as thats Tim...!

Well it was a great meeting well done to all those involved some great racing, especially from the DTRC boys!