Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Jul 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2926150)   #1
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F2 Brands Sunday break !!

Not seen that before no lunch on Sunday 24th but a break for 40 mins at 16.35.
Anyone know the reason for that ?
Could it be TV ?
Mick
Old 13 Jul 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2926180)   #2
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshals being taken for granted again. It is about time we started boycotting meetings like this

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 13 Jul 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2926235)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, live TV runs over lunch through early afternoon. Late break suits.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2926249)   #4
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
i know its a bizzare break time but its better to just grin and bear it and enjoy the fact theres 2 f2 meetings in relative close promixity to each other. just a shame ive got a 350 mile trip to get there!
Old 14 Jul 2011, 06:22 (Ref:2926349)   #5
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
I'm not moaning just wondered I actually never really miss a lunch break would rather have another race but thats just me
Old 14 Jul 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2926358)   #6
bodbod
Rookie

bodbod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd prefer to miss the break and get home 40 mins sooner.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 08:25 (Ref:2926389)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
It does appear to be a very silly time for a break, but perhaps it's not there for the marshals?
Could it be more about giving the competitors in races 12 & 14 a bit more time.

As for Stack's view, No. No boycotts.
As far as I can see MSVR (especially at Brands) gives us a pretty good deal when compared with many other UK circuits & like Apple, I'm there for the racing. Maybe easing one of the earlier gaps by 10 minutes would have been better, but there you go, you know the plan now. What you do about it is down to you.

Finally, like bodbod, I'd rather minimise that break to ensure it all fits in before 1827, and I have a chance for a beer before (my) curfew.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2926430)   #8
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a major problem - as long as there are sufficient marshals / some down-time between sessions to allow for comfort breaks then a longer break can come whenever

At least a break is planned unlike with some timetables

Dave
Old 14 Jul 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2926663)   #9
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post

As for Stack's view, No. No boycotts.

Yes not a fan of boycotts we are all different so some will and some wont go

As far as I can see MSVR (especially at Brands) gives us a pretty good deal when compared with many other UK circuits & like Apple, I'm there for the racing.

Finally, like bodbod, I'd rather minimise that break to ensure it all fits in before 1827, and I have a chance for a beer before (my) curfew.

Yes not a fan of boycotts we are all different so some will and some wont go

As you say credit where its due they do give a free breakfast

Well I'm lucky I can drive home each day from brands and I dont mind what time it finishes,
And I have to say if I was camping I would not mind if it went on till dusk I'm lucky I dont have to work Mondays but thats me I know it will not suit everyone

Mick

Last edited by Apple; 14 Jul 2011 at 17:04.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2926671)   #10
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I go for the racing too and being able to throw my weight around as Post Chief!

However the timetable for this event is dictated by thr great God TV, so no chance of an early finish, even if nothing happens.

I just hope that marshals on posts 2 4a 6 9 12 13 13a 14 15 17 18 21 24 & 25 have strong bladders as it's long stretch from 9:30 to the break! At the HSCC Superprix Mildred told me she has terrible trouble getting ladies to marshal the GP loop. Iwonder why?

As it happens I can't do the Sunday as I have I have a ticket for Lords to watch India play the South African 2nd XI...er I mean England! Plenty of breaks and accessible loos there!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2928016)   #11
donaghyp
Rookie

England
donaghyp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It dose seem a strange time to have a long break, but how often do we leave the circuit much before 18:20 during the summer months. I don't have far to travel home but I feel for long distant people. I asume that the break is for the TV coverage.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2928061)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
The break is NOT for TV, but the lack of a break at a traditional lunchtime is due to TV.

The break is probably for the benefit of the MR2 racers who are in races 12 & 14.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2928171)   #13
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post

The break is probably for the benefit of the MR2 racers who are in races 12 & 14.

Yes that makes sense they may have to do some running repairs
Old 18 Jul 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2928320)   #14
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert View Post

However the timetable for this event is dictated by thr great God TV, so no chance of an early finish, even if nothing happens.

I just hope that marshals on posts 2 4a 6 9 12 13 13a 14 15 17 18 21 24 & 25 have strong bladders as it's long stretch from 9:30 to the break! At the HSCC Superprix Mildred told me she has terrible trouble getting ladies to marshal the GP loop. Iwonder why?

As it happens I can't do the Sunday as I have I have a ticket for Lords to watch India play the South African 2nd XI...er I mean England! Plenty of breaks and accessible loos there!

A good I O or Post Chief will rotate marshals under his/her control if he knows what he/she is doing so there should not be a problem with comfort breaks.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2928445)   #15
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE44T View Post
A good I O or Post Chief will rotate marshals under his/her control if he knows what he/she is doing so there should not be a problem with comfort breaks.

It is nothing to do with being a good PC or IO and knowing what you are doing ...... it is however a lot to do with numbers of marshals available to cover a post / the location of the nearest suitable facilities in relation to the post / the time available for them to be away from the post but leaving sufficient other marshals to still provide cover

Some of the post numbers Stoowert mentions are somewhat "challenging" with regards to being able to get to suitable facilities easily which will be only made worse if there are posts with limited marshals to cover.

Dave
Old 19 Jul 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2928457)   #16
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
it is however a lot to do with numbers of marshals available to cover a post / the location of the nearest suitable facilities in relation to the post / the time available for them to be away from the post but leaving sufficient other marshals to still provide cover
Reminds me of Silverstone GP some years ago when the 'safety elf' started to rear its ugly head.
It was decided by 'the management' that every flag marshal should have a stand-down period of a designated length every so often and that they should return to a designated 'rest area' for the given duration. Each post was issued with a printed sheet defining when each marshals 'rest period' was to be.

Being stationed at Club In, our rest-area was defined as the marshals signing on tent allocated behind Abbey/Luffield. Given the distance involved we queried with the Chief flag as to whether or not the 'rest period' was to include 'travel time' and were told that the rest period had to be for the designated time, so travel was extra.

Having timed the travel on foot from sign-on to post, and allowing a suitable contingency for effect of the crowds on race day, we spent most of the F1 pre-qualifying period working out our rest schedule and informed our post chief that unfortunately the flag point would be unmanned for certain periods of the meeting, including several 10 minute slots during qualifying and the race.

This was relayed to Race Control and shortly afterwards the 'elf-n-safety' notice was recinded.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2928587)   #17
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most, if not all the posts I mentioned at Brands are cut off from the outside world during periods of "Live" action. Post 2, for instance is out of reach of a toilet of any kind! Besides what kind of "Rotation" system can you instigate when you only have 3 bodies (including me!)
If clubs want to continue to put on longer and longer races (They can charge double the entry fees, 2 drivers, see?) then they must insist that the track owners at least put in either Portaloos or gates in the spectator fencing to allow us a certain amount of comfort.
It's not health & safety, just basic human decency....
Old 19 Jul 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2928611)   #18
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following on from the F1 flask marshal on TV, seems like there's a need to televise a marshal using the gravel trap as a toilet. Might make the point graphically, but also an added incentive to the drivers to keep out?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2928664)   #19
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Several years ago, Cadwell had no facilities out on the bank. The chief marshal (Mr Watson!) made it quite clear that marshals should NOT have to suffer the discomfort of a full bladder - or worse!!!!, and should radio Race Control and ask the Course car to stop & take them to the loo and bring them back. If the time table suffered, then portaloos should be provided out on the bank. Now, nearly every post in within reasonable reach. To be denied the freedom to go to the loo when needed is totally unacceptable. I would suggest that a few marshals should be allocated as roving marshals to cover different posts each session to allow for comfort breaks.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2929423)   #20
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stoowert, just to let you know, Post14 now has a gate so it,s to the woods for males and a long walk to Druids for our females ( was going to say ladies BUT ) better go now.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2929460)   #21
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people moan about tv times dictating racing and meetings, but no tv, means no racing in many cases as sponsors would not been seen and would not back the sport!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2929600)   #22
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As others have said, the tight programme on Sunday is purely down to TV schedules. There will be a break, but not until later in the afternoon. I am pleased to say on behalf of MSVR that, as a thank you for your support and forbearance in the lack of a lunch break on Sunday, marshals will be provided with a lunch bag at sign-on on Sunday morning.

If all those who have volunteered turn up, there should be sufficient marshals on each post to allow rest breaks on a rotation basis.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 06:11 (Ref:2929691)   #23
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scillitoe View Post
As others have said, the tight programme on Sunday is purely down to TV schedules. There will be a break, but not until later in the afternoon. I am pleased to say on behalf of MSVR that, as a thank you for your support and forbearance in the lack of a lunch break on Sunday, marshals will be provided with a lunch bag at sign-on on Sunday morning.

If all those who have volunteered turn up, there should be sufficient marshals on each post to allow rest breaks on a rotation basis.
All sounds go to me
Thanks to MSVR
Old 22 Jul 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2929834)   #24
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done MSVR, but I was still coming even without the lunch bag!!!!!