Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Mar 2003, 11:42 (Ref:536844)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART at Brands

Just had our acceptance letters from BARC !!

Trouble is, we've never been to Brands before and would like some any info about the facilities for camping etc.

Any help from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 16:28 (Ref:537087)   #2
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got mine this morning as well. Haven't been there since 2001 but there is a field just outside the circuit. Turn into the main entrance but don't go through the gate. There is a road to the left down the side of the hotel. Go down there and on your left are two fields. The first is usually for hospitality. I've usually camped in the second one. It is shared with the public and there is running water but no toilets or showers, we'll not when I've been there. I have heard they do have them for bigger meetings. (The biggest meeting I've attended is the Brittish GT's). Hope this is of some help. Maybe someone has more up to date knowledge of facilities.

Steve B
Old 15 Mar 2003, 17:31 (Ref:537139)   #3
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they have been known to put marshalls in a field the other side of the M20 by the paddock entrance and had there high secruity on the field entrance to stop the great unwanted entering
Old 15 Mar 2003, 21:23 (Ref:537470)   #4
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We tend not to camp anymore as the public camp in the same site and they like to keep different hours to us. So for sake of a good nights sleep we tend to B&B, most of which are full up now. When camping and during heavy rainfall I have returned at least twice to the tent to find it in a bog!!!! and the cars stuck in the mud. For BTCC meets there were showers in the field. There is a shower block in the paddock that we use close to where we sign on. If you have a caravan it's not so bad. Dont know if it will be any different for CART but we are staying out near Dartford Crossing and driving in.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 06:59 (Ref:537831)   #5
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Likewise, we're staying at the Holiday Inn at Bexhill (wheelchairs and long grass/mud don't mix well!!!!) and driving in each day. At least you get a warm bed and a shower every night!!!!!
Old 16 Mar 2003, 15:36 (Ref:538128)   #6
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest. Those of you who have received your info. Did any of them include guest passes. We are bringing a friend to experience her first BTCC weekend and am beginning to think it is going to cost alot more money than we first envisaged. Havent been home to check my post to see if my details have come through yet. Thought you could enlighten me.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 15:41 (Ref:538136)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Um can anyone enlighten me as to what an acceptance letter says? I got a letter yesterday, but I'm unsure if I've been accepted or not from the content! Help!
Old 16 Mar 2003, 15:56 (Ref:538148)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's what mine says:

"Dear Official,
Thank you for volunteering for the Champcar/BTCC event at Brands Hatch in May. I am pleased to inform you that we would like you to attend the event, but would ask for some volunteers to assist us by taking on some slightly different responsibilities for the weekend.

We are looking for twenty people, one per car, to work in the pit lane and provide the essential fire cover needed for the Champcars during their on-track activity, whick will be backed up by a fire tender. These twenty would subdivide into two groups of ten to operate a rota system to cover all of the supprot race activity, because of our concerns about fuel rigs in the pit lane.

Additionally we are looking for six people to work on two vehicles as support to the three CART Simple Green Safety Teams, during all Champcar activity. These people would provide extra fire cover at incidents and act as clean-up crew, a role that is critical to the success of their on-track activity.

Please complete the slip below and return it to Karen Coddington at Thruxton. We will have to fill all of these roles but would obviously prefer to have volunteers rather than impose things upon our important officials.

Yours sincerely,

Ian Watson"

No passes were included, I'd expect them nearer the day. I have no idea about the passes for Rockingham last year as I volunteered through CART directly.

Let's wait and see.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 16:41 (Ref:538173)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Another question about Brands. Does anyone know if they allow camping on the final night as we are hoping to travel back on the Tuesday. Don't fancy trying to get back to Brum on a Bank Holiday monday!!
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:02 (Ref:538247)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
That's not the letter I got *sigh*
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:45 (Ref:538276)   #11
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What duty did you volunteer for Pumpkin?
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:52 (Ref:538279)   #12
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: CART at Brands

Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
Just had our acceptance letters from BARC !!

Trouble is, we've never been to Brands before and would like some any info about the facilities for camping etc.

Any help from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.
I hope Harry had his letter as well.

Old 17 Mar 2003, 08:14 (Ref:538656)   #13
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
tubs - whatever was going!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 10:22 (Ref:538738)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to hear that EP but don't give up yet, there might still be a letter in the post
Old 17 Mar 2003, 10:30 (Ref:538748)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well the letter I've got is very confusing - as far as I can tell, it means we're selected - unless we're not in which case we'll receive further notification.

It's cutting it fairly close for booking flights and stuff
Old 17 Mar 2003, 10:55 (Ref:538764)   #16
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Call Karen Coddington at BARC and ask the question, explain why and I'm sure she will do her best to get you a definitive answer!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 11:12 (Ref:538774)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
*nod* yeah I was going to - is she full time or voluntary do you happen to know?
Old 17 Mar 2003, 11:15 (Ref:538775)   #18
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
as far as I know, Karen works normal full-time office hours.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 11:36 (Ref:538791)   #19
delta37
Rookie

delta37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E P, Karen does work full time at Thruxton, you may be better off ringing Ian Watson at Thruxton as he is the best one to speak to.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 12:22 (Ref:538818)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ian hasn't got the full list with him today so it maybe better to wait until tomorrow.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 18:10 (Ref:539221)   #21
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AS far as I can tell, no invites have gone out yet, only requests for extra help in the pits and Simple Green #3. I don't know of anyone who's put down to observe getting an invite. The word I have is that over 300 applied to work the race and there are spaces for 32! One Observer and 2 flag per post total! Posts 1,10,22a will not be manned. That is all for CART stuff. the BTCC is as per normal. Trvor J hasn't allowcated posts yet. I think 1 American, 1 Canadian and a German have also applied to work the race. Maybe we should start "The World Cup Of Marshalling brought to you by Nomex" With the marshals arm-wrestling for the 32 places!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 00:14 (Ref:539657)   #22
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"We are looking for twenty people, one per car, to work in the pit lane and provide the essential fire cover needed for the Champcars during their on-track activity.."

Knowing the Champ car teams you will be treated as one of the team, with full access to food & drink etc, plus at appropriate times talk to driver & crew.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 00:44 (Ref:539673)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The twenty poeple must be the guys that sit on the pit wall, ready to throw the buckets of water on any fires. I really feel sorry for them on hot days... luckily the teams looked out for them, and gave them lots to drink. Doubt you'll have that problem at Brands though.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Mar 2003, 04:59 (Ref:539780)   #24
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for that bit of clarification Stoowert. Guess we've got to wait a bit longer.

Presume when you say 1,10 & 22a not manned that only applies to CART sessions. 10 & 22a are damn busy spots for most races.
Anyway, as an IO that's incapable of correctly agitating the rag and stick things and only being an observer in extremis, does this mean that the rest of us are contactually obliged to be behind the fencing when the CWS sessions are on? Thus giving the Simple Greens and their "sweepers" room to work without any interference from the pond life that usually inhabits the space behind the armco?
Gosh, that'll make those test sessions just fly paast!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 09:22 (Ref:539900)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Aww never mind Al - I'll show you how to sweep a circuit if you like. It takes years to learn, but I have faith that if you practice you can get the hang of it!