Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should F1 cars compete on an oval?
yes 23 41.82%
No 32 58.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 May 2001, 22:25 (Ref:93389)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 @ ovals

CART is reconised as being F1's main rival. CART cars race at both road and oval circuits while F1 only race on road circuits. Should F1 cars have to drive on at least 1 oval circuit to see what that would be like and to add alittle difference to the series.
Old 17 May 2001, 01:25 (Ref:93435)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never, jamais, niente.

I can barely tolerate Indy.

Monza with the banking, now that's another story entirely.

Grand Prix Racing is a Road Racing championship. Ovals are not, and should never be, a part of the equation.
Old 17 May 2001, 02:45 (Ref:93452)   #3
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as they keep the races to less than 10 laps. After 10 laps I normally fall asleep watching the CART races on ovals (IRL I last for 5 laps).

It's very theraputic.
Old 17 May 2001, 03:22 (Ref:93467)   #4
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with EERO, I just couldn't imagine those F1 cars racing around Ovals. Quite frankly I think it would make for quite a boring race.
Old 17 May 2001, 03:47 (Ref:93475)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It will never happen...at least I certainly hope not...Ovals are so ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ boring

Regards Jeremy
Old 17 May 2001, 10:01 (Ref:93515)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

#1 - superspeedways are not boring. they're like games of chess, or a feature frilm - the situation is changing all the way through. if you like passing, watch a superspeedway...

#2 - f1 cars would disintigrate.

#3 - just no.
Old 17 May 2001, 10:26 (Ref:93519)   #7
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#1 chess is boring

#2 areo kit is all wrong for oval

#3 disintigrate I doubt it plus they would show up those CART boys
Old 17 May 2001, 10:46 (Ref:93525)   #8
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ed G:I agree, after the 241st lap, I do feel a little tiresome . Would be interesting to have it as an experiment though - non championship race or something. If it were ever to happen, it wouldn't happen at any existing CART circuit though

...the FIA (I think...could just be Bernie) have slapped a ban on CART tracks being used as F1 tracks, and vice versa.

I believe that Montreal is being used in CART this year, but a small modification had to be made to the circuit, so as to prevent direct comparisons being made between F1/CART.

Shame really, would be interesting to see how they match up...
Old 17 May 2001, 11:09 (Ref:93531)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Quote:
Originally posted by RALFANATOR
#1 chess is boring
is not. get a longer attention span, young man.
Quote:
#2 areo kit is all wrong for oval
they're f1 teams. they can develop traction control, they can work out a new aero kit.
Quote:

#3 disintigrate I doubt it plus they would show up those CART boys
yeah? the drivers wouldn't. the cars would.
gil would comprehensively beat at least the mclaren lads if you put them in similar unfamiliar cars.

but this isn't the place to discuss that.
Old 17 May 2001, 11:30 (Ref:93536)   #10
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No F1 shoudln't race on Ovals as they would get panned by the CART boys. Besides F1 cars just arn't strong enough or quick enough to race on Ovals.

Oh and how the hell can you say ovals are boring! In the Michigan 500 last year there were 196 lead changes on the start finish line alone, not even counting the back straight! There are more passing moves in one lap on an oval than in a whole season of F1. Plus how many F1 drivers would go into a turn 4 wide at 240mph???? Oh I'm sorry F1 drivers can only overtake if they are allowed to by the teams or if they come into the pit lane....otherwise its dangerous driving! PAH!

Sure F1 has the best drivers but CART has by far the best RACERS!!

AndyR
Old 17 May 2001, 11:34 (Ref:93539)   #11
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mjstallard :

yeah it would have been interesting for a direct comparison of CART and F1 at Montreal. Can just see the results.....

F1: slightly quicker lap time as its a street course but only 2 over taking moves and they finish in basically grid order... ferrari and mclaren lodge an appeal with the FIA about each other for not letting them pass each other as they have a faster car and deserve to be in front. drivers fall out and accuse each other of dangerous driving.

CART: fractionally slower than F1 but to many overtaking moves to count and they finish in a completely un-expected order as the drivers actually race each other to the finish. All drivers have a laugh after the race and chill out.

AndyR
Old 17 May 2001, 11:51 (Ref:93543)   #12
Rha
Rookie

Rha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YESSSSSSSS
I have talk several times abaut that
Wel imagine 2 ovals in F1 wdc one short and one superspeedway. If not F1 will never been the most
exciting motorspot...Ask to anybody who has racing in oval what he think....impressive. And i agree with Bella ovals are like a chess game. Of course
F1 cars are not build for that but they can build one if not......
What you mean Cart are betters cars and teams more
proffessionals bcause they can run in ovals and road course so whats is best Cart or F1.....
Juste think about Montoya and now Junqueira and Minassian they are far behind....
In ovals you has to deal with 22 or more gys each lap and with the wall and speed of 350-380 kms/hr
F1 miss ovals and specially superspeedways
Old 17 May 2001, 12:38 (Ref:93552)   #13
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Roberts
Oh and how the hell can you say ovals are boring
Way to go Andy!!! Finally, another oval fan on here. I would love to see some sort of competition established between CART and F1, but we must recognize that the power that bes in F1 will never permit it as long as he's around to look at his bank balance. Once that impediment is removed, there is some chance that the TV interests and the teams might take an interest in a "World Championship" in the line of the Superbowl and the "World" Series. The question is "How might this be structured?" I would propose that once the two series championships are decided, the winning teams engage in a best of five races series, each running two cars. Each year the event would be staged at a facility with combined road and oval courses like Indianapolis, and it would consist of two races on the oval course then two on the road course (Or vice versa) with the fifth race on the combined course. Odds are a fifth race would be required, but we will rig the scoring to encourage it. Order of the races to be decided by coin toss well in advance or to alternate each year. I think the media would drool over such a prospect, and the fan interest ought to be high also. It would probably take five weeks to complete the series, which would either have to be staged in the southern hemisphere or at covered (and heated?) facilities in the northern.
Old 17 May 2001, 19:12 (Ref:93699)   #14
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Roberts
Oh I'm sorry F1 drivers can only overtake if they are allowed to by the teams or if they come into the pit lane....otherwise its dangerous driving! PAH!
Hummmmmm, did you see Montoya's move on MS (Interlagos) and Trulli

P.S. I love ovals' speed !!!
Old 17 May 2001, 20:22 (Ref:93733)   #15
hornytoad
Rookie

hornytoad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imo, road racing more shows the talents of a driver (v. oval racing). cars are made to turn left and right, thusly car racing should follow suit. if f1 was to race on an oval, i'd pray for an alms event on the same day. but, it will not happen; although it's nice to discuss.
Old 18 May 2001, 02:41 (Ref:93860)   #16
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 would never race on an oval track. The F1 setup is designed for turns and long straightaways. Not high speeds in high gear for 200 laps. Could they design the car for that? Yes. But why would they?
If you want to compare F1 and CART, let them race at the same track. Say, Indianapolis. Let CART drive on the infield and see what happens. They would drive on part of the oval, and we could check top speeds.
No matter what test is given, the loser would always have an excuse, or another test. Besides the loyalists would never stray. Why do you think the Chevy vs. Ford war has lasted so long?
Old 18 May 2001, 02:52 (Ref:93866)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The issue isn't whether F1 cars COULD race on an Oval, but rather SHOULD they.
No matter what the current technology is, with enough warning, the cars could be adapted to the particular constraints of an Oval.

But Formula One is a Road Racing Series and should remain so.

We could have the spectacle of flat-out blasts of speed at Monza and and Hockenheim if they removed those Damned Chicanes.
Old 18 May 2001, 13:29 (Ref:94007)   #18
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto EERO on this one.

This discussion reminds me of a 5 year old asking "If a shark got in a fight with a grizzly bear, who would win?"

You could argue that all day, but what's the point?
Old 18 May 2001, 13:45 (Ref:94011)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that ovals are boring, and that any of the top 20 CART pilots could smoke any of the F1 pilots on a superspeedway in equal equipment (because the CART pilots have done it before) - but I wouldn't go to see it.

In fact, I am of the opinion that CART shouldn't race on ovals either.

Ovals are boring.
Old 18 May 2001, 14:56 (Ref:94020)   #20
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
To declare "Ovals are boring", is an obviously incorrect statement. Evidence the fact that millions of people are not bored by oval racing.

If what you mean is "I am bored by oval racing", then that is what you should say.

Maybe it's a small point, but it is tiring to read declarative statements that deny the possibility of another point of view.

I expect that from the 18 year old I-have-all-the-answers set, but not from you, Liz.

Old 18 May 2001, 16:05 (Ref:94041)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Never, jamais, niente.

I can barely tolerate Indy.

Monza with the banking, now that's another story entirely.

Grand Prix Racing is a Road Racing championship. Ovals are not, and should never be, a part of the equation.

I just quoted EERO because I share his opinion.

Basically, is two different worlds.
Old 18 May 2001, 17:19 (Ref:94062)   #22
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Posted by riusnow "Why do you think the Chevy vs. Ford war has lasted so long?"

I have often wondered that myself!! The only answer I can come up with, is the shockingly loww average intelligence in this country! I'm sorry if this offends anybody, but the whole "Who's pitifully low-tech tube frame car with the shell of a boring american sedan, and powered by an ancient pushrod V8 (whose design dates back some 50 years) is fastest driving around a circle?" debate is so mind numbingly boring and stupid, that I can hardly stand it... Anyway, there is my anti-NASCAR tirade.

And to all you NASCAR fans who I have offended... I'm sorry. really!
Old 18 May 2001, 18:15 (Ref:94071)   #23
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil C
"If a shark got in a fight with a grizzly bear, who would win?"
Grizzly at sea -> A big bait
Shark at mountain -> Sushi !
Just to clarify..., this was my 5 year old son conclusion...
Old 18 May 2001, 18:17 (Ref:94072)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, Neil, I stand corrected. "I find ovals boring" is what I should have said. I can't follow the cars because they go too fast, usually I can't see the pole in the middle that tells who is in what position, and fifty lead changes per lap is too many.

I like road courses. And street courses. I even like Monaco.
Old 18 May 2001, 21:10 (Ref:94115)   #25
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
Liz, I lob you a grenade and I expected it to be thrown back! Darn! We haven't had a disagreement about anything bigger than your idiocity about "Our Paul".

Speed, ask your son what if the shark and grizzly were in four feet of water! Then who would win???? (Finally, someone I can argue with at my level!)