Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1422647)   #1
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
flashF1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Coca-Cola and F1

I have always wondered why The Coca-Cola Company has never considered F1 as a vehicle to promote their product.

Interesting enough I read in the Timesonline that Bernie Eccelstone is prepared to steer Coca-Cola who are interested in reaching the Far East Markets, towards Williams for not siding with the other rebels wishing to split from F1.

I think this a shrewd move by Bernie.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1422652)   #2
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could be wrong but weren't Coke one of the companies who refuse to sponser events that also have tobacco sponsership? I think MacDonalds & Microsoft also take the same line? (I may of course be talking rubbish).
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1422655)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I understood that to be the case Dick Spanner.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1422656)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Coca-Cola Czech Republic sponsored Tomas Enge.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1422660)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's not of much relevance in the end though KB - just a local distribution and bottling plant with no direct management links to the big Coca Cola corporation.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1422679)   #6
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Spanner
I could be wrong but weren't Coke one of the companies who refuse to sponser events that also have tobacco sponsership? I think MacDonalds & Microsoft also take the same line? (I may of course be talking rubbish).
Then why did Coke sponsor NASCAR during the Winston Cup era?
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1422687)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
because these things aren't black and white. The kind of sponsorship may have made a difference to their thinking.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1422691)   #8
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would be sweet for me. I should be working for Coke by the end of the year so I might be able to get a Williams pitpass for Albert Park
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1422697)   #9
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
That's not of much relevance in the end though KB - just a local distribution and bottling plant with no direct management links to the big Coca Cola corporation.
It has a relevance to an association with smoking
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1422700)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly my point.

If Coke big bosses didn't want their brand used, they'd have stopped it.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1422721)   #11
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
Then why did Coke sponsor NASCAR during the Winston Cup era?
Cos Pepsi was involved.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1422757)   #12
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Cos Pepsi was involved.
After a brief look my NASCAR Encyclopedia Coca Cola started sponsorship of NASCAR in 1981 and Pepsi started in 1987

Last edited by ascarmarshal; 3 Oct 2005 at 12:51. Reason: spelling
Old 3 Oct 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1422759)   #13
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was in F3000, and I don't think any tobacco-sponsored teams were around at the time (McLaren's junior team closed after 2000).
Old 3 Oct 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1422768)   #14
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its not the tobacco sponsorship of other teams in F3000 that im on about, its the actions of the Sponsee
Old 3 Oct 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1422786)   #15
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing there was a change in views in management, but at the same time decided that leaving NASCAR would have been too big of a risk.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1422787)   #16
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
After a brief look my NASCAR Encyclopedia Coca Cola started sponsorship of NASCAR in 1981 and Pepsi started in 1987
Pepsi was the official Daytona drink from 1959. Coca-Cola's involvement started when sponsoring Bobby Allison in the early 70s, I think.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1422842)   #17
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thread.

Having just travelled back from our office in Romania, I have to say the brand and the product may be the same but the Eastern European iterations of these global businesses often don't live up to the same rigourous standards as the head offices...

if a big corporate comms person at Coke had even actually heard of mr. Enge i'd be suprised. Hey, the top brass at Ford didn't even know who E.Irvine was!

anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens post-tobacco in F1 - im sure it held back a lot of FMCG brands. but then in Europe a sport where burining rubber and oil is an integral part of the fun isn't especially healthy / environmentally right on neither.

all those fast food / confectionary / SD companies need to be whiter than white right now.

It reminds me of MTV, a brand with good pro-social heritage. They were criticsed relentlessly when they had an involvment a while back and it certainly put them off ever coming back.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1422928)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashF1
I have always wondered why The Coca-Cola Company has never considered F1 as a vehicle to promote their product.
As others have said, due to tobacco sponsership, and with Phillip Morris still sponsering Ferrari till 2011, albeit it in an unbranded fashion, they won't be entering in the foreseeable future either.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1422937)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i generally think of coke as advertising as much as possible. and while i cant think of anything that has both a coke advert as well as a cig advert this story still makes sense to me.
with the strenght of red bull and the amount of exposure they are now getting, can coke afford to stay out of f1? and with williams taking no tabac money seems like a good fit.
also what about gatorade, which is either owned or dirtributed by pepsi. clearly there is already market for advertising sports drinks in F1. its only a matter of time before one of these companies gets involved, in my opinion.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1422949)   #20
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
As others have said, due to tobacco sponsership, and with Phillip Morris still sponsering Ferrari till 2011, albeit it in an unbranded fashion, they won't be entering in the foreseeable future either.
Of course that is one reason why Ferrari wanted to get Marlboro on board - not so much for their increased income, but the £110m they get from fags will effectively be increased by 50% in real terms as it diminishes other teams' income by such an amount.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1422960)   #21
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
7 UP is a drink from the Coca-Cola Company and didn't they sponsor a Jordan a while back. I could be wrong im not sure. I havent checked this im just assuming.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1422965)   #22
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden
7 UP is a drink from the Coca-Cola Company and didn't they sponsor a Jordan a while back. I could be wrong im not sure. I havent checked this im just assuming.
Actually 7 Up comes from the Pepsi stable
Old 3 Oct 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1422971)   #23
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden
Yes, you are correct 7-up did sponsor Jordan as did Osama, but not many people relate 7-up with Coca-Cola!

Old 3 Oct 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1422973)   #24
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashF1
Yes, you are correct 7-up did sponsor Jordan as did Osama, but not many people relate 7-up with Coca-Cola!
Read my last post. 7 Up is a Pepsi/ Britvic brand NOT Coca-Cola. I checked this on the various websites
Old 3 Oct 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1422979)   #25
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Read my last post. 7 Up is a Pepsi/ Britvic brand NOT Coca-Cola. I checked this on the various websites
We agree, my point was Osama an terrorism are not connected too, sarcasism!