Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:11 (Ref:312391)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More on Minardi's situation.

More snippets on Minardi's position from this weeks motorsport press.

According to Motorsport News, Minardi's last hope in secuuring funds is via an informal request to other team bosses at a formula one team owners meeting today. Stoddart is believed to have abandoned plans for arbitration as this could take up to 9 months.

However, F1 insiders claim that PS has no chance in securing agreement from the other team bosses and PS himself admits that his chances of getting these extra funds are only 50-50.

Minardi plan to be in Nurburgring regardless, but PS admits that any further participation is in doubt if the meeting does not produce the funds he requires.

Autosport adds to this by saying that high level F1 sources have revealed that a document has been drawn up by 9 of the teams who finished in the top 10 last year, agreeing that the Prost funds should be evenly split between them instead. The document was circulated at the Canadian GP for final signatures. However, the agreement is worded so that in the event of PS or Phoenix securing their case via arbitration the money would be repaid to them.

PS hasn't ruled out suing those who he feels are stopping him getting the money - accusing them of restriction of trade.

Rod Dennis has dampened PS hopes by stating that a number of teams strongly believe that Minardi has no legal right to funds that they are claiming legal rights to.

IMO it all looks to be geting a bit messy, you can't blame PS for threatening more legal action, but to me it looks like a long winded expensive way to acheive probably not a lot. If the above comments are correct, the European GP could be Minardi's last, unless its just a final bluff by PS to secure the teams future from somewhere.

Whatever PS vows not to walk away from F1 without a fight and from what we've seen it looks like he's got one!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 11:20 (Ref:312466)   #2
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This whole affair mystifies me. I can't see how Minardi has any shread of a claim to Team Prost's travel money. I am surprised that the French Court made no attempt to secure the funds - which Prost won fair and square - for the benefit of the creditors who seem to me to have the best claim of anyone to them, at least until the court sold the rights to Phoenix. What is really surprising is that Stoddart seems to have based his 2002 budget on getting these funds. That is a very poor piece of business planning given the well known vagaries of the F1 financial setup.

Old 13 Jun 2002, 11:38 (Ref:312505)   #3
Ellie
Rookie

Ellie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The European Minardi Team has pulled out of F3000, I think this is sadly a clear sign as to what is going to happen to the F1 Team.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:54 (Ref:312608)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Not quite true Ellie. The F3000 team has been put up for sale and Astromega and Coloni have both shown an interest. If that fails to materialise then it's unlikely they will be in Germany in a weeks time.

On the matter of the Prost cash, I firmly believe it should be handed to the administrators of Prost Grand Prix as it forms part of the teams assets.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 14:02 (Ref:312674)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In terms of the Minardi F3000 team, I think Astromega and Coloni are more interested in investing in the team to keep it going in some shape or form, as opposed to just buying assets.

The grid is down to 20 cars as it is, so it's in everyone's interest's to keep as many cars out as possible. Contrast this to only a couple of years ago, when teams were scrapping over entries......
Old 13 Jun 2002, 14:10 (Ref:312683)   #6
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe only Ferrari are going to support Minardi - mainly because the Italians would eat them alive if they dont. All the other teams believe that Minardi does not deserve the money and so its bye bye Stoddart.

Hopefully, someone else will come along and buy the Minardi team. Minardi are survivors and they will hopefully do far better without Stoddart at the helm.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 18:04 (Ref:312880)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Am I the only one who thinks PS is making threats about not continuing the season in order to try and force Bernie and Max's hand?
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:17 (Ref:312944)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Am I the only one who thinks PS is making threats about not continuing the season in order to try and force Bernie and Max's hand?
no your not, i agree Stephen, PS hopes to get the money obviously (and i hope he gets it too as Minardi need more than others) BUT, when he originally budgetted for this season, he did so without claims to the Prost money. we didn't hear him saying, before Prost closed their doors that he wouldn't be able to see this season out, we've only heard it since he lost out on buying the rights to Prost's assets!

however, as i've said before, Minardi need that money more than Bernies bank account!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 02:31 (Ref:313232)   #9
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was reading that the sale of Stods F3000 team was for 300,000 (??? as to what currency) and he was selling it cheap so the employees would not be put out of work.

He seems like a good guy.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 02:37 (Ref:313235)   #10
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Hopefully, someone else will come along and buy the Minardi team. Minardi are survivors and they will hopefully do far better without Stoddart at the helm.
Logically, can you explain how you reached this conclusion?
Old 14 Jun 2002, 16:17 (Ref:313655)   #11
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Up for sale, for $500,000. No smilies anywhere to be seen? Are you mad?! There we were wanting to buy some old Prost cars to make our own F1 team, then this offer turns up and no-one seems to care... just WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!! I mean, this is Minardi for God's sake... we MUST be able to come up with some cash...
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:15 (Ref:317503)   #12
Ellie
Rookie

Ellie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like we will still be seeing Minardi for some time.

They have won the $12m ,but owe Ecclestone $9m

You can find the article on http://www.dailyf1.com
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:23 (Ref:317511)   #13
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ellie
They have won the $12m ,but owe Ecclestone $9m
You can find the article on http://www.dailyf1.com
Sounds like three steps forward and two back. How come the FIA's approval of the deal is required?
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:49 (Ref:317535)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:50 (Ref:317537)   #15
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool we need them on the grid.
Without the small fish the big fish die too.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:54 (Ref:317541)   #16
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce

Well put Bounce!

Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:28 (Ref:317567)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Maxmil
Sounds like three steps forward and two back.
Not to be picky, but would'nt that be 4 steps forward and 3 back?
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:32 (Ref:317570)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Good math Wrex
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:43 (Ref:317579)   #19
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Not to be picky, but would'nt that be 4 steps forward and 3 back?
Point conceded; $3MM/ step is OK. I started with 3 forward and 1 back, but that didn't seem quite right. Anyway, you get the point.

Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:48 (Ref:317586)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

I thought Steps had broken up.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:50 (Ref:317589)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Arghhhhh...*pulls out hair, or what's left of it after watching the Mallett race a few weeks ago lol*
Old 21 Jun 2002, 01:17 (Ref:317980)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They also have a new sponsor in some Austrian funds company, Quadriga. I don't know many details about the deal.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 01:44 (Ref:317991)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This is becoming really stupid. The money is meant to go towards the travelling expenses of the teams to and from Grand Prix. As Prost is gone, they do not need this travelling money, and therefore the next team gets it in default since they would have gotten nothing.
Now, Bloody Ron Dennis wants part of that also.
Words fail me.

Old 21 Jun 2002, 01:48 (Ref:317996)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This whole situation just proves the greed of F1 teams and that they don't want the small teams to survive. Minardi desperately need the cash, why don't they just let them have it?
Old 21 Jun 2002, 05:52 (Ref:318046)   #25
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Minardi team have announced that they will be joined at this weekend's European Grand Prix by a new commercial partner. The Quadriga Group, founded in Austria by Christian Baha, is one of the most successful global hedge fund managers.
It is Quadriga's first involvement in Formula One™ racing and Minardi boss Paul Stoddart is enthusiastic about the potential of the new partnership. "Quadriga already have a strong presence in their home market, but the Minardi team will help to establish the brand name in South East Asia," he said in a press release.

"These are both young companies driven by ambition to succeed and a desire to do things a little differently from the competition. We look forward to carrying Quadriga's distinctive green and white 'bull' logo on our cars and to tasting joint success in the future."

Minardi are currently enjoying their most successful season of recent years, lying joint eighth in the constructors' championship with two points.