Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 11 Nov 2001, 16:00 (Ref:173281)   #1
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which circuit needs the most development?

I reckon Cadwel Park, as the facilites are pre-historic! When the CSCC Circus visits there as part of the Classic Package, then the circuit looks the part as the paddock isn't level (I saw a CFF2000 ground and get stuck in May! ) and there isn't any pits. When British Superbikes go, they put up a marquee!

What do you think? (Don't say Silverstone, Its had enough done to it already!
Old 11 Nov 2001, 16:04 (Ref:173285)   #2
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Cadwell needs a little development, but too much would spoil its appearance as one of the last club circuits. As to Silverstone, they should give the GP to Donington and then bulldoze the Grandstands so that you would get a decent view of the track from wherever you stand! Don't think that would happen though!
Old 11 Nov 2001, 16:47 (Ref:173316)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a crying shame that Silverstone gets the British GP (and has been since Brands got the FIA cold shoulder). When you look back to '93 and that fantastic GP at Donington (how I wish I'd been there!), I certainly wonder how it is that Silverstone has retained the GP for so long.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 17:52 (Ref:173343)   #4
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone gets the GP because it's the only track fit for doing so. Brands Hatch can't evolve to a good enough state, even though the GP circut is quite nice, and Donington isn't long enough, even with the Melbourne Loop included. I like Donny, I'd love to see the GP there but it simply can't happen.
No other UK circuit is up to holding such a race - the only track interesting enough is Oulton Park, and they don't have the space or infastructure to do it - the run off areas aren't big enough, they'd need a new pit and paddock complex, and lots of other work. Thus Silverstone wins by default, even if you can't get in or out of the place.

However, as was said above, the other circuits don't hold enough (big) races to justify spending the money on upgrading. Hence Silverstone, Brands and Donny get all the big stuff, and most of the money.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 19:20 (Ref:173373)   #5
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to Rockingham today for the second time. I think the buildings are near enough complete though I suspect they will attempt to build grandstands all the way round. We sat at the very top of the grandstand and had a superb view but speaking to the teams they are not that happy - one shower in the whole place - they were forgotten! No restuarant on the infield for the teams. The garage roof is not high enough to see the track so the teams can't see how their drivers are doing. You have to vault a wall to get off the start/finish line no gap or gate, just one set of metal steps.
But the worse thing is - there was hardly any one there - a matter of hundreds and yet we queued for 20 minutes to get out - ridiculous.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 19:24 (Ref:173375)   #6
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Went to Rockingham today for the second time. I think the buildings are near enough complete though I suspect they will attempt to build grandstands all the way round. We sat at the very top of the grandstand and had a superb view but speaking to the teams they are not that happy - one shower in the whole place - they were forgotten! No restuarant on the infield for the teams. The garage roof is not high enough to see the track so the teams can't see how their drivers are doing. You have to vault a wall to get off the start/finish line no gap or gate, just one set of metal steps.
But the worse thing is - there was hardly any one there - a matter of hundreds and yet we queued for 20 minutes to get out - ridiculous.
#

With Rockingham being a new circuit, I would have hoped that they would have learnt from the other circuits, but although the facility seems good, there are some problems!:confused:
Old 11 Nov 2001, 19:58 (Ref:173390)   #7
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what i find as a competitor:

Silverstone- great facilities

Cadwell- Poor padock ( got beached there)
No showers
Old 11 Nov 2001, 21:14 (Ref:173416)   #8
AndyF
Veteran

Considering Cadwell is BHL, I am suprised it is not up to the standard of Snetterton and Oulton Park.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 22:54 (Ref:173452)   #9
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park and Thruxton need bigger/more garages. That'll do for starters! Mondello Park have got their act together rather nicely. It's about time some of the other tracks followed suit.

I have heard a rumour that Silverstone are charging extornationte money to actually drive to the circuit for F1 next year, which will encourage people to make use of public transport to get there. If so, that's disgusting. Give Brands a try at the F1 if that is the case
Old 12 Nov 2001, 12:37 (Ref:173586)   #10
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Lorna, its £45 to park on site at S-Stone for the GP (for 3 days / each day I'm not sure). As this year there will be 18,000 parking places & the idea is to put off people from parking & persuade them to use the free(?) park n' ride.

But I can quite easily see all the places been taken up, even if it's only by the Corporate Hospitality mob & so traffic will be no better.(So it's anyone's guess what the crowd capacity / ticket prices wiill be for '03 - even with the new road systems)

Glad I went this year, my first and last British GP; and what about the parking / traffic. It only took 30 mins each way from/to Milton K.
Old 12 Nov 2001, 19:17 (Ref:173730)   #11
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Limited improvements would be ok at Cadwell.
I enjoy Cadwell as it is, you can get very close to the racing at certain points, I would hate to see any restriction put on this!.

Plenty of room at snett for improvements, there is I think even enough land for circuit modifications.

Kelvin
Old 12 Nov 2001, 20:47 (Ref:173779)   #12
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well its hard to say cos there are differnt classes really, international (silverstone brands donny), national (thruxton, cadwell) and clubby (llandow, castle combe, pembray)

they all need improving.

ones that stick in my mind are ones with out electric in the paddock, like thruxton. where miserable gits then use LOUD generators all night long. and also at thruxton we couldnt get out the scrutineering bay cos it grounded! i mean thats poor to say the least.

dunno y people moan about there being one shower. live a bit!

lastly all the circuits without a permenate bar, need one!
Old 12 Nov 2001, 23:43 (Ref:173844)   #13
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Can you really put Combe in the same "Clubby" class as Llandow? Not so sure about that :confused:
Old 13 Nov 2001, 00:09 (Ref:173855)   #14
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
dunno... combe did have the F3, for the first time. and its only one meeting a year.
but they said it was just SOOOOOO bumpy.

guess its inbetween.

nice place tho! love it. private owners rule!!
Old 13 Nov 2001, 07:49 (Ref:173920)   #15
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by THR
nice place tho! love it. private owners rule!!
ditto. Thats why Anglesey is chosen by Car and Car Coversion magazine when they test cars. Anglesey needs one improvement - being closer to England!
Old 13 Nov 2001, 08:07 (Ref:173922)   #16
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden Hill has to get my vote, a couple of portacabins and the paddock on the hill (just changing wheels is a major operation requiring careful planning!). Has to be the shortest tightest circuit ever with the crazy situation of having the 'pit lane' running though the paddock - seriously dangerous.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 12:03 (Ref:173964)   #17
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden - soon to be no more, just one more season left in it..

No-one should touch Cadwell, just leave it well alone please!!
Old 13 Nov 2001, 14:12 (Ref:174005)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yup, and Lydden is one of the most friendly of places to visit. You can wander round the Paddock at your leisure, chat to the drivers, watch virtually the whole track from most vantage points. Oh Ron, please don't close it down!
Old 13 Nov 2001, 15:12 (Ref:174019)   #19
AndyF
Veteran

Lydden has been threatened with closure every year for the past three or so years, and has escaped each time. It is clear that McLaren don't value it that much, so we should hope for the future that it will remain open.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 15:59 (Ref:174031)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Andy,

I think that as part of the planning consent for the new McLaren factory thats supposed to be built at Lydden, they had to cirtail the racing activities. They also have to fund much of the road improvements to the A2 I believe.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 17:26 (Ref:174059)   #21
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read somewhere that McLaren asked nicely if they could upgrade the track and use it as a personal test track, like Ferarri have Fiorano.
Their request was declined
Old 13 Nov 2001, 20:02 (Ref:174153)   #22
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that was the reason for building the factory there in the first place? Also I seem to remember reading that the factory plan had been abandoned as the staff did not want to move there.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 20:57 (Ref:174236)   #23
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No-one should touch Cadwell, just leave it well alone please!!
The place has a special appeal to me too, but a few improvements in basic amenities wouldn't go amiss without changing the character of the circuit
Old 13 Nov 2001, 23:20 (Ref:174306)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
The new factory at Lydden Hill is for the new road car, not the F1 team. The private test facility was rejected I believe because of complains over noise from the local inhabitants (sheep no doubt)
Old 14 Nov 2001, 13:20 (Ref:174428)   #25
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing activities have to stop - that's part of the deal.. and mclaren have been threatening for years.. but this really is the last year apparently..

After the new factory is built in Woking, their focus will turn to Lydden..